Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

It's obviously a lot worse where the fires are but I wouldn't have expected the smoke to go all the way over there to that degree. We had a few pretty clear days in Brisbane but the haze is back today. Went to the beach yesterday, glad we did because it was a lot nicer than today is. Still, a bit of haze is not much compared to what those poor people are going through in those areas. 

PSX_20200104_135018.thumb.jpg.4f8092df41e682f05de6086950011d52.jpg

• Like 5

The last of the extract real ale I have done. Was hopped with Citra and Centennial and kegged back in September.  Very smooth mellow drinking this.  The chill haze from the cold glass does not do it justice.  There you go another shot from inside. 

20200105_160851.jpg

20200105_161607.jpg

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's obviously a lot worse where the fires are but I wouldn't have expected the smoke to go all the way over there to that degree. We had a few pretty clear days in Brisbane but the haze is back today. Went to the beach yesterday, glad we did because it was a lot nicer than today is. Still, a bit of haze is not much compared to what those poor people are going through in those areas. 

The skies were beautiful yesterday. Solar produced almost 41kWh yesterday but won't get near that today I guess. I was out west today and around Wivenhoe there is a lot of burnt bush from the earlier fires and fairly hazy skies. Dropped in  at my daughter's in Springfield Lakes on the way back and it is quite hazy, almost stormy looking out there. Here in the burbs it's quite ok though.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

My first English bitter. Very biscuity. Probably could have upped the bitterness just a touch but still a nice drop

Mate looks the absolute goods!  Between this beer and the Aussie Bowlers looks to being a pretty good day besides the bushfire smoke ; )

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Where was that Kelsey - looks beeeeeyoooodiful!

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

In total contrast to a beach near me today!

SmokeyAuckland-2.jpg

• Sad 1

Just now, Bearded Burbler said:

You got some bizarre lens-filter on or is the vast quantity of fire smoke reaching your shores BS?

image.png.238d090ebff9d7fa4a2fb311b926f37d.png

That's the impact of smoke and ash in the air that has blown over this way, all 2500kms!   It got pretty dark and VERY yellow...

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

That's the impact of smoke and ash in the air that has blown over this way, all 2500kms!   It got pretty dark and VERY yellow...

Yeah guess that the wind has been in the West and as you all can see from the Fire Map there is plenty of smoke generation...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlackSands said:

The smoke has traveled across the Tasman and arrived here in Auckland!  It's gone very dark and yellow here in NZ this afternoon...  very eerie and apocalyptic!  😱 

I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for those who are right in the thick of it...   😟

SmokeyBitter-1.jpg

That smoke haze is staggering all the way over there, BS.
Beer looks good though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The skies were beautiful yesterday. Solar produced almost 41kWh yesterday but won't get near that today I guess. I was out west today and around Wivenhoe there is a lot of burnt bush from the earlier fires and fairly hazy skies. Dropped in  at my daughter's in Springfield Lakes on the way back and it is quite hazy, almost stormy looking out there. Here in the burbs it's quite ok though.

We got 43 yesterday and 39 today. Wind must have swung around overnight or something. 

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Where was that Kelsey - looks beeeeeyoooodiful!

Currimundi. We usually go there because it's an off leash beach and not many people around. 

It'd be great if these conspiracy theory nutjobs would feck off too. They are making a mockery of the situation and those people who have lost their homes and even their lives with their batshit crazy claims about the cause(s) of these fires being part of some hidden agenda only they know about. Brainless twits. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

What was the recipe for that Paddy. 

5.4 kgs Maris Otter

300 gms Crystal Malt Medium

300 gms Gladfield  Biscuit Malt

100 gms Acidualted Malt

100 gms Caraaroma malt

100 gms Joe White Chocolate Malt

50 gms EKG 60 mins

25 gms EKG 10 mins

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

5.4 kgs Maris Otter

300 gms Crystal Malt Medium

300 gms Gladfield  Biscuit Malt

100 gms Acidualted Malt

100 gms Caraaroma malt

100 gms Joe White Chocolate Malt

50 gms EKG 60 mins

25 gms EKG 10 mins

Thanks Paddy will give it a bash.  So drop the biscuit a bit and up the bitterness a tad your reckon? 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

10 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Thanks Paddy will give it a bash.  So drop the biscuit a bit and up the bitterness a tad your reckon? 

I too found biscuit can be a bit overpowering so in my latest bitter I've dropped it right back to just 100g.  Similarly with the likes of caraaroma ( I used Gladfield's 'Shepherds Delight' which is similar)...  I'm actually thinking of dropping it altogether from future bitter recipes or at least, certainly using no more than 50g.   But, it's all personal taste and preference of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Yeah I’d get rid of the biscuit malt as maris otter gives you that anyway and slightly increase the bitterness a touch 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I too found biscuit can be a bit overpowering so in my latest bitter I've dropped it right back to just 100g.  Similarly with the likes of caraaroma ( I used Gladfield's 'Shepherds Delight' which is similar)...  I'm actually thinking of dropping it altogether from future bitter recipes or at least, certainly using no more than 50g.   But, it's all personal taste and preference of course.

I am going to drop the biscuit right out of it.   This is the way it looks in the software right now.  I need to brew at below 4%ABV

Paddy's Pommie Bitter.PNG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I am going to drop the biscuit right out of it.   This is the way it looks in the software right now.  I need to brew at below 4%ABV

Paddy's Pommie Bitter.PNG

Looks like a fairly 'standard' recipe though I do wonder about the need for acid malt?  I only ever use it in lighter brews where a bit of pH lowerings is needed but you certainly wouldn't need it here with those darker malts.  😎 

5 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Looks like a fairly 'standard' recipe though I do wonder about the need for acid malt?  I only ever use it in lighter brews where a bit of pH lowerings is needed but you certainly wouldn't need it here with those darker malts.  😎 

Thanks for the advice. Just feeling my way with this as it will be my 1st AG brew when I get to it some time next week.   I was thinking of just doing a SmaSh but really want to get the EB and RA styles mastered so thought i may as well start there.   Good cheap hop schedule too.