Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

2 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Just having a taster of my Citra/Mosaic NEIPA. Fresh and hoppy. Pretty happy with this one.

Looks tasty HH and am a supporter of Citra and Mozzie - lovely hoppages they are ; )

Cheers on Aussie Day mate!

• Thanks 1

Had a couple of these last night, kicking back watching Spooks. It is the Strong APA I made, last of the ones I used BE3, ABV = 6.7. Was verra naice after more than a month on the shelf.

Head looks a bit 'big-bubbles' but it settled down into a nice smooth head about half that size in a minute or so - is that normal or something I can change? Heads like that are why I bought some maltodextrine - I think BE3 has 200 gm of it so I figure maybe that's not the fix? 

image.thumb.png.596d5299774b25e57188285bf161a490.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Had a couple of these last night, kicking back watching Spooks. It is the Strong APA I made, last of the ones I used BE3, ABV = 6.7. Was verra naice after more than a month on the shelf.

Head looks a bit 'big-bubbles' but it settled down into a nice smooth head about half that size in a minute or so - is that normal or something I can change? Heads like that are why I bought some maltodextrine - I think BE3 has 200 gm of it so I figure maybe that's not the fix?

A few suggestions - and am happy for Master Brewers to critique... but this would be my take on things re brew mods for improved head, texture, mouthfeel and head retention:

1. Put glass in freezer and poor v slowly and gently?  Dunno whether that will help either.  I think your bubbly fella that calms down to creamy top would be a nice beer.  Maybe the following points are more worthy of consideration.

2. Use liquid malts instead of dry malts - I believe spray drying malt denatures proteins that help the head thing... not got sci evidence for that... but have brewed pure LDME D=DRY before and the brew was nice but the head issue maxed out as the poorest I had ever made...  And Coopers sell plenty of nice liquid malts in the tin.

3. Consider mashed malted grain adjuncts... that important protein is there.  Consider using Wheat as the malted grain adjunct.

4. Consider kegging.

5. Consider trying some heavy OG brews aiming for higher FG... think it can help.... maybe consider AG.

6. Try nitro or nitro:mix gas... probably a stupid thing to say if you are not kegging anyway... but who knows... maybe in the future.  It's that Guinness gas creamy thing but I think you will need a fairly high FG brew to make it work... am in the process of trying to see if I can get something going in this space.

7. Purchase the below and spray on as required ; )

image.png.63b32453fd3c61b7b9177d4b777d41b4.png

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

A few suggestions - and am happy for Master Brewers to critique... but this would be my take on things re brew mods for improved head, texture, mouthfeel and head retention:

1. Put glass in freezer and poor v slowly and gently?  Dunno whether that will help either.  I think your bubbly fella that calms down to creamy top would be a nice beer.  Maybe the following points are more worthy of consideration.

2. Use liquid malts instead of dry malts - I believe spray drying malt denatures proteins that help the head thing... not got sci evidence for that... but have brewed pure LDME D=DRY before and the brew was nice but the head issue maxed out as the poorest I had ever made...  And Coopers sell plenty of nice liquid malts in the tin.

3. Consider mashed malted grain adjuncts... that important protein is there.  Consider using Wheat as the malted grain adjunct.

4. Consider kegging.

5. Consider trying some heavy OG brews aiming for higher FG... think it can help.... maybe consider AG.

6. Try nitro or nitro:mix gas... probably a stupid thing to say if you are not kegging anyway... but who knows... maybe in the future.  It's that Guinness gas creamy thing but I think you will need a fairly high FG brew to make it work... am in the process of trying to see if I can get something going in this space.

7. Purchase the below and spray on as required ; )

1. Cold glasses certainly help. Not sure about freezer level though - they tend to frost immediately on air exposure & I don't think the layer of water on the inside helps - fridge temps definitely help reduce head though.

2., 4., 6. - Low income - I'm a carer. Those suggestions are for the future when I amange to make enough beer to be able to save for a while.

3. In process. The XPA-ish has crystal in it, my first steep. Next planned is using the Golden Promise grain as my first mash with a Real Ale can and the dark amber malt.

5. Heavy OG? So far I think I have done 1 beer that was below .060, although the FG has been down below 114 for all of them. I'm presuming the next beer will have a higher FG though.

7. OK, I laughed... 😄 Is that like a Vienna Beer? Should I go a choc stout for the contrast? 😄
image.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, Journeyman said:

1. Cold glasses certainly help. Not sure about freezer level though - they tend to frost immediately on air exposure & I don't think the layer of water on the inside helps - fridge temps definitely help reduce head though.

2., 4., 6. - Low income - I'm a carer. Those suggestions are for the future when I amange to make enough beer to be able to save for a while.

3. In process. The XPA-ish has crystal in it, my first steep. Next planned is using the Golden Promise grain as my first mash with a Real Ale can and the dark amber malt.

5. Heavy OG? So far I think I have done 1 beer that was below .060, although the FG has been down below 114 for all of them. I'm presuming the next beer will have a higher FG though.

Cheers JMan... yes mate sorry by all means you gotta do what you can with what you have...  from that perspective I would suggest you stick to bottles as good beer in bottles is just fine. I would strongly recommend you try liquid malts though cos if you are buying specialty grains from LHBS they are not real cheap... and you may get better impact from say a can of Coopers Amber or light liquid malt...   so have you got liquid dark amber malt?  Honestly I reckon the difference is quite remarkable... And re heavy OG... if you are in the 1.012 and above you will be getting some SG assistance...  mate I reckon you are on the right track... and wish you all the best as being a carer is no easy ticket and you earn your beer big time...  but brewing your own you are getting much better beer and at a lower cost impact! Cheers. BB

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers JMan... yes mate sorry by all means you gotta do what you can with what you have...  from that perspective I would suggest you stick to bottles as good beer in bottles is just fine. I would strongly recommend you try liquid malts though cos if you are buying specialty grains from LHBS they are not real cheap... and you may get better impact from say a can of Coopers Amber or light liquid malt...   so have you got liquid dark amber malt?  Honestly I reckon the difference is quite remarkable... And re heavy OG... if you are in the 1.012 and above you will be getting some SG assistance...  mate I reckon you are on the right track... and wish you all the best as being a carer is no easy ticket and you earn your beer big time...  but brewing your own you are getting much better beer and at a lower cost impact! Cheers. BB

It's dry dark amber malt - 2 reasons for going dry presently.

1. I'm new to this. I've moved to dry malts because in Murray Bridge, the sources for liquid are thin on the ground. (& see #2) I figure DME for now gives me a constant I can use so other changes are more clear as to effects. If I now swap to LME I have a new factor that I have to get used to. 

2. Costs. LME starts around $13.50 per can in Adelaide, but I have to GET there. The mail costs are prohibitive. I'd have to spend $100+ to even look like saving over what I can get at BigW. Shipping liquid raises that even further. DME comes in around $10:50/kg at beerbelly so costs less to stock up on when I get to Adelaide.

Grains are pretty cheap - the golden promise was $7.90/kg, Light Crystal was $6.50 - if I am just using them as speciality additions that's a lot cheaper and an extract can.

The hardest thing about being a carer was dealing with the hit to the ego of not being in the workforce any more. That took some getting used to, probably as much as suddenly not having money to spend at will. But, swings and roundabouts - might never have started home brew if I was working. I know I first thought about it in the early 80's and never bothered going further than getting a few tips and tricks from those I knew. 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 3

Beaut JMan @Journeyman - more power to yer!  Seriously - good stuff mate and you will be brewing good beer and changing a few things up will improve things as you go along!

And life does lead us up interesting pathways sometimes mate and reckon you are on a good track with the HB caper and this site is such a help with ideas and suggestions... is GOLD.  So keep on doing mate what you are doing - good stuff!!

Yeah so I think I saw somewhere you did a Toucan two-can.... as you point out the liquid stuff is more cost and less practical right now.... but mate if you can get Coops Cans on spesh... Gold.

I did a Dark Ale Coops with Coops Lager and think 1kg of LDME.... turned into a cracking beer.  So that is an opportunity to keep up your sleeve - and think you may already have done this...

And then the only other thing I did re cost - was to buy like 20kg of LDME powder in one hit - and stored and used it.... think was around $7/kg... but then you have to store it.

Cheers mate and good brewing! BB

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah so I think I saw somewhere you did a Toucan two-can.... as you point out the liquid stuff is more cost and less practical right now.... but mate if you can get Coops Cans on spesh... Gold.

I did a Dark Ale Coops with Coops Lager and think 1kg of LDME.... turned into a cracking beer.  So that is an opportunity to keep up your sleeve - and think you may already have done this...

And then the only other thing I did re cost - was to buy like 20kg of LDME powder in one hit - and stored and used it.... think was around $7/kg... but then you have to store it.

Yes, I got a kit 2nd hand and included were 2 x Draught cans, out of date. ( a few months) No bulges so I figured I may as well experiment and they became my 'Kicker' - 2nd brew made. 8.3% and is a very nice beer.  I've managed to hang on 2 8 tallies with 6 in the 'Keep' aisle in my cupboard and 2 coming shortly in the 'Drink' aisle. 😄

How airtight does the DME storage have to be? Would one of those white 20 litre buckets with push down top do OK? I presume it's about keeping the moisture out? Can yeasts colonise dry malt? I do have a couple of plastic olive drums - I reckon they'd be about 12L each (label says they were 13kg olives in brine) so I could store 1 with taped down top and the other for ongoing use.

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

How airtight does the DME storage have to be? Would one of those white 20 litre buckets with push down top do OK? I presume it's about keeping the moisture out? Can yeasts colonise dry malt? I do have a couple of plastic olive drums - I reckon they'd be about 12L each (label says they were 13kg olives in brine) so I could store 1 with taped down top and the other for ongoing use.

Nnnnargh - if you have relatively good hygiene I don't think you will have yeasts colonising dry malt... they need moisture... most microbes do... there will be some that are able to live at extremes e.g. blue green algae but I don't think this is relevant here.  Guess at worst you could drop stufff in there off yourself and utensils that might end up growing when you add water - but you can easy just bring to boil/or 70 deg your DME solution anyway.  But cockroaches and mice and rats and roos and wombats definitely need to be kept out.  When I got my 20kg I just double-zip-lock bagged them into 2kg batches and then put into a plastic lock down lid food grade container - Olive drums might be ok - maybe put into the zip lock bags first - is painful as the stuff flies everywhere - or you might have the coarse version... or if the Olive drums - obviously food grade - got no smell/flavour anymore like you say - and are nice and clean - just good tight lid - cool place - keep moisture and creatures out... should be fine I suspect.

• Like 1

Same theme slightly different food combo but it does work well with the AG Hefeweizen out of the Coopers glass bottle:

Apologies to the Wurst Kings... not mine nor my rye bread... was lucky to pick this up down the coast in the big smoke...  anyway... still tastes pretty good ; )

Cheers Brewers sadly the Aussie day long weekend is coming to a close : |

image.thumb.png.5416b946db017789b06a607106ba2741.png

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

Happy Friday!! 3c's pale ale with mosaic (yeah that name sucks).

Beautiful looking Brew Norris.

How about:

Norri-Aler.... as a word twist (sounds the same) on another person in US History President...  ; )

image.png.4f1f20b09211844ca87f017d5abb3bce.png

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Beautiful looking Brew Norris.

How about:

Norri-Aler.... as a word twist (sounds the same) on another person in US History President...  ; )

image.png.4f1f20b09211844ca87f017d5abb3bce.png

Hahaha, it made me laugh straight up, and I spit my beer out.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Norris! said:

Hahaha, it made me laugh straight up, and I spit my beer out.

Go you good thing Norris!  Ha ha. 

Have a good weekend everyone.

Tooooo Farrrr Kennnn Hot here for my liking  : (

Mon-Tues will be better... might keg me big black beauty when things cool down and am on me days off.

Cheers Brewers. BB

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Same theme slightly different food combo but it does work well with the AG Hefeweizen out of the Coopers glass bottle:

Apologies to the Wurst Kings... not mine nor my rye bread... was lucky to pick this up down the coast in the big smoke...  anyway... still tastes pretty good ; )

Cheers Brewers sadly the Aussie day long weekend is coming to a close : |

image.thumb.png.5416b946db017789b06a607106ba2741.png

A gscheide Brotzeit 🙂 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

A gscheide Brotzeit 🙂 

Sehr gut mann kann's doch sagen. 😆 Cheers AK!

But it would be nicer if I can get to that goal of making me own wurst!?!  (I can do my own bread but as I was down the big city so got the nice Narrabeen fella's Rye)

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

My red pacific ale. It's still very green and needs a little bit of tweaking I think but it's definitely a nice, light and drinkable thirst quencher, especially after some time in the hot Queensland sun. I shall call it Queensland Sunburn 🙂 

IMG_6160.thumb.jpg.ac8af2b06ec85ed88ae25bc373c65d1f.jpg

Looking good AK

• Like 2