Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

Hi all,

Just tapped my Simcoe Citra Mosaic IPA, first time using US-05 in a few years and I am really liking this brew !

Could be my best ever!!

Usually use Notty but can taste a big difference in this brew, very little yeast flavour /esters, more hop presence and more like the commercial IPAs that  I buy for research purposes .

Hello US-05 my old friend..

Cheers legends

James

• Like 6

1 hour ago, James Lao said:

...Could be my best ever!!

Usually use Notty but can taste a big difference in this brew, very little yeast flavour /esters, more hop presence and more like the commercial IPAs that  I buy for research purposes .

Hello US-05 my old friend..

I find US-05 a bit more friendly to both hop & malt flavour than Nottingham.

As a pure beast reliable fermenter, yes Nottingham wins, but it comes at a cost to these flavour variables vs US-05 (IMHO).

Don't listen to ANY bad press about US-05, it's mostly unjustified.

Lusty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Cheers. I've always loved the colour of this brew since the first ever batch. Caraaroma and black patent make a lovely red 😀 

Yeah I did brew it once a while back. Lovely colour.

PSX_20200121_153705.thumb.jpg.6e5dd954c9

I dub thee.............."fish guts red". 🤣 😉

Hehe!

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Poured a pint of the pale ale just now and noticed what looks like hop matter in the head. Guess it didn't all drop out in the fermenter, dry hopping was done commando on this batch.

Hope you don’t play Golf at sparrow fart, commando,  Otto ? 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I find US-05 a bit more friendly to both hop & malt flavour than Nottingham.

As a pure beast reliable fermenter, yes Nottingham wins, but it comes at a cost to these flavour variables vs US-05 (IMHO).

Don't listen to ANY bad press about US-05, it's mostly unjustified.

Lusty.

With you all the way on this one Lusty.... all the way to the Brewery ; )

No picture. But I had a 3c's, cascade, centennial and citra, pale ale with a hint of Mosaic. Nice beer, it is 1 day carbonated so still a little green, the bitterness is strong, but it tastes nice. Not the colour I was expecting, I forgot to add the choc malt, 10g to it, but still good with the Munich. I guess a picture would help, so I will pour another glass.

I expect this to be a fair beer in a week or 5 days, once the bitterness melds together with the nice malty body. Not a hop bomb like the tropical ale but balanced might be the word I am looking for, minus the bitterness. I don't brew a lot of balanced beers, they tend to lean to the hops side heavily, but I like this, but still waiting to try the Amarillo SMASH.

2020-01-23 16.50.49.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Hairy said:

Mandarina Bavaria and El Dorado Pale Ale.

It sat in the cube for 2-3 months before I fermented it and it tastes really nice. Good summer beer. No sign of botulism yet.

88502F91-7C5D-4D93-A85A-69943BBE9343.thumb.jpeg.3bb7fcf405e2bcf66dd69f5f65ecfe40.jpeg

So what are you getting from the hops? Orange from the Mandarin? I assume so, but is it like amarillo or citra? What about the El Dorado?

Beautiful looking brew with a nice head. It looks nice.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Beer with Kveik yeast. Very interesting, such a big flavour. Bitter citrus notes from it. Pitched very warm, fermented very fast.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200123141707444_COVER.thumb.jpg.7e13733235162f03e8e5294abad05e3e.jpg

Nice. Looks like fruit juice, does it taste like one, but just bitter enough to remind you it isn't? What was the recipe? Was it the yeast that caused the haze or a liberal amount of oats or wheat...or even better hops? Sorry for the interrogation, the brew looks lovely Mate.

Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
20.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min        Hop           3          38.4 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp518-opshaug-kveik-ale-yeast

Utterly bizarre taste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1