Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

I also read a lot of brulosophy's hop chronicles and brew dudes on YouTube's videos about what specific hops taste like. It gives me a general idea before I buy them, but everyone has different tastes.

Ha ha mate everything you have ever recommended I have found to be gold - so wow am really looking forward to brewing with it mate - and really love the Wheat Beer possibility - pure gold mate - will deffo slide that in my next Wheatie ; )

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha mate everything you have ever recommended I have found to be gold - so wow am really looking forward to brewing with it mate - and really love the Wheat Beer possibility - pure gold mate - will deffo slide that in my next Wheatie ; )

It is such a great combo. Another one is Belma, if you can get the strawberry to come out, you get a great wheat beer and if you toss in some strawberries to get the color to come through it really goes well visually and taste wise. But when you start spitballing some other combos will pop up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

It is such a great combo. Another one is Belma, if you can get the strawberry to come out, you get a great wheat beer and if you toss in some strawberries to get the color to come through it really goes well visually and taste wise. But when you start spitballing some other combos will pop up.

Wow - really cool... thanks mate... more gathering of festive Hop Knowledge from the Hop King himself 😝

BELMA™ Type 90 Hop Pellets from Puterbaugh Farms a fourth generation hop farming family that has been growing hops in the fertile Yakima Valley of Washington State since the 1930’s.

BELMA is a relatively NEW hop variety exclusively grown at Puterbaugh Farms. Dr. Shellhammer from Oregon State University tested BELMA™ US Hops Brewing a Pale Ale noting the following flavour descriptions: A very clean hop, with a very orange, slight grapefruit, tropical pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

I waiting on @The Captain!!

Update on his holy trinity hop brew. Which hops? Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy?

Still at work young man, still at work. I’m cold crashing the bajesus out of it at the moment. With a little fining help

BTW it’s not my holy trinity it’s James Lao I think

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Still at work young man, still at work. I’m cold crashing the bajesus out of it at the moment. With a little fining help

BTW it’s not my holy trinity it’s James Lao I think

Yes mate, I do have a holy trinity of hops but it is Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe!

Have been adding Cascade to this trio the last couple of brews to good effect.

My palate doesn’t seem to pick up on the ‘catty’ flavours that Simcoe and Citra are reported to have.

Was thinking of subbing the Simcoe out for Amarillo ..

I have been getting a sharpness that I don’t like when I have used Galaxy the last few times so don’t think I will go it again.

Hey Norris what is your go to combo?

Amarillo is in there right?

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, James Lao said:

Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe!

Yep that’s the one. Norris is awaiting the review of my latest beer with this combo. 

the other cube went to a mate and he said it’s his favourite beer at the moment and wants to do it again. so seems it’s a goodin 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, James Lao said:

Hey Norris what is your go to combo?

Amarillo is in there right?

I use a lot of different combos but I like azacca and mosaic and then off that combo pretty much any c hop as another addition, but citra goes well here. 

I also like azacca, Amarillo and Vic secret (you can sub galaxy in for the Vic secret and have simcoe as a dry hop no hot side with the other hops). Amarillo or Citra, galaxy and mosaic is nice and safe if I really want to nail a beer and the ole centennial, Amarillo and citra/simcoe/mosaic/Vic secret/etc. 

I have been playing with not just straight equal amounts of each hop for hot side and cold side but different amounts to accentuate different flavours I HOPE to get from the final beer. Sometimes it works and sometimes I am like...maybe I should of just went equal amounts and called it a day.

I like really fruity ales so that effects my choices. What about everyone else? What are your favorite combos?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Yep that’s the one. Norris is awaiting the review of my latest beer with this combo. 

the other cube went to a mate and he said it’s his favourite beer at the moment and wants to do it again. so seems it’s a goodin 

Since I know it is James' holy trinity, my bad for my ignorance, I already know from his previous tastings it should be noice! But I look forward to the review! I hear Shamus gives some great reviews, so just keep that in mind when preparing yours ( no pressure).

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

I like really fruity ales so that effects my choices. What about everyone else? What are your favorite combos?

It's just like - the World's your Oyster I reckon @Norris! Norris.

I have done the three Cs with good effect - Centennial Cascade Citra... happy with that... 

But I did a brew called "Pale Mozzie" with pretty much Mosaic - and loved that.

Now I am on Christopher Columbus Ale - with Columbus packing in at Front Row (Rugby U/L Term).... 

And am keen to have a crack at Amarillo next....  plus got a bag of festive Vic Secret that I have not tried before.... 

I reckon if you are All Graining or doing a good Partial... there are just so many different opportunities to team up a lovely beer with nice hoppage - you just have to work out what you like best or what you are trying to achieve ; )

I have an Ale in the Coolio Crash thing which is Fuggles and EKG...  I purposely kept the malt bill the same to the IPA - and am keen to see what the very different hop inventory brings 😝

It really is a wonderful journey of discovery... hence Christopher Columbus Ale ha ha!?!

image.png.9b386ff7398c526b1e38323c6faa5a7a.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

Since I know it is James' holy trinity, my bad for my ignorance, I already know from his previous tastings it should be noice! But I look forward to the review! I hear Shamus gives some great reviews, so just keep that in mind when preparing yours ( no pressure).

I’ll try my best with the descriptors ha ha wet, cold, bitter, fruity 

• Haha 2

Another Faded Jeans pale except I eased off the bitterness a tad. So bloody drinkable. As I reduced the bitterness a little I up’d the gypsum just a little bit so it finishes on the palate drier which balances that softer bitter finish

A7F8175B-8D95-4E3F-B845-4A8FE865B8D2.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 4

Went out for dinner this evening to a local restaurant that has a micro brewery attached. Had a Saphir Lager, no doubt patterned after Firestone Walker's Pivo Pils. It was great! Have never taste Saphir hops before, and they are delicious. My LHBS does not carry them but next time I make a bulk online order, I am going to get some.

Anyone else tried them? Or tried making a Pivo Pils clone?

Cheers,

Christina. 

• Like 3