Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I would have gone the reverse myself. PoR in the Ale, & Hallertau in the lager.

Each to their own though.

Lusty.

+1 to that recommendation although I presume Hallertau Mittelfrueh as have used those in my lagers and like it so far.  Have not used POR in a lager yet (in recent times anyway) but its in the brew queue to try out and hopefully refresh my tired old memory.

I have some Hallertau Blanc just busting to get used up so might sub some of those into a version of the Shark Fin Summer Ale in place of Enigma hops and try them out soon too.

Cheers - AL

• Like 2

Hop usage is subjective & received differently by individuals. Any advice (including my own) offered is merely an opinion & should just be considered as such as a personal view to help you with your own final approach.

Hallertau is traditionally used as a dual purpose hop. It carries a medium level spicy character that intensifies the longer it is boiled. Later boil additions add some light citrus flavour & light floral aroma to lager styled beers. Pride of Ringwood has been used extensively in Australian commercial brewing as primarily a bittering hop in both ale & lager fermented beers due to it's earthy, slightly herbal, woody, & light resiny traits.

I hope that helps,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2020 at 3:04 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Hey Ocean, why do you have tin foil covering your tap? Got insects in in your fridge? 

Cheers,

Christina.

@ChristinaS1

It's a tin foil hat for my beer tap, its to prevent it from it from any electromagnet feilds & any mind reading..you know one can't be to careful these days mate.

I've always been pedantic about infection I actually have two layers of glad wrap under the foil. Routinely I spray the fridge with starsan too.

What are you brewing at the moment mate?

14 hours ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

What are you brewing at the moment mate?

Nothing at the moment Ocean. I have the ingredients in the house for my next brew but am waiting for my lager keg to blow, so that I can make another lager....I ferment lagers in a keg with a spunding valve, which is a quick and easy way to make a lager.  Still trying to figure out if I like lagers. I have only made three so far.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

Another cracking day in the brew house. Bottled up the Southwark Old Stout this morning and harvested the trub. Had to wait around a while for the roasted barley steep to finish cooling then go through the regular sanitising steps and make up another Sinister Ol Stout. Pitched the yeast at 18 deg and chucked it in the fridge at 8pm.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Pitched the yeast at 18 deg and chucked it in the fridge at 8pm.

......and boom, it took off like a rocket. Had visible kraussen at 11.15pm so reset the controller for 13° as I knew it would take quite a while for the fridge to catch up. The yeast is almost putting out enough heat to beat the old fridge and its hovering at 14.7 now

• Like 1

Put down an IPA yesterday evening:

23L

1.7kg Coopers Hefe Wheat

1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt

250g Maltodextrin

110g Dextrose

110g Honey

1 × 10g US West Coast Dry Yeast = M44

OG = 1047

image.png.04a51054d32815874720cb5a382a7998.png

I'm feeling I may have over done it on the hops in the boil,  having got a bit over-excited by the amount I had available. The timings may have gone a bit adrift in the last few minutes but the times shown are within about 5mins.

I was a bit concerned with using M44 as there are so many posts about it taking forever and a day to get going, I needn't have worried as I have checked it this morning and after 11 hours there is already a slight ring of foam on the surface. Going by the surface activity it may have been on the go for a couple of hours already,  which better than the start I had with US05.

I'd only managed to get the wort down to 27.5C after mixing and pitched the M44 dry as soon as the wort had reached below 23C, which took around 3 hours. Fridge set to 19C.

Will be using the same hops for dry hoping, but unsure of the quantity.

Aiming for something refreshing and citrusy. 

• Like 3

Got 3 fermenters on the go. A centennial PA made with new world strong. Hit FG two days ago and dropped in 70gms of centennial for the Dry Hop. Tasting very very nice. New world is a nice yeast. Clean and quick. A little like notty.

Also got a centennial IPA which was put down the day after the PA. This one is done with my favourite IPA yeast American Ale 1272. Tastes sensational but much slower than the New World. Still 6 points away from FG. Going to put the last of my centennial which is a touch over 100gm as the dry hop.

Pitched the witbier yesterday. Missed my OG by 4 points for whatever reason. So 5% in the bottle will only be 4.6%. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Got 3 fermenters on the go. A centennial PA made with new world strong. Hit FG two days ago and dropped in 70gms of centennial for the Dry Hop. Tasting very very nice. New world is a nice yeast. Clean and quick. A little like notty.

Also got a centennial IPA which was put down the day after the PA. This one is done with my favourite IPA yeast American Ale 1272. Tastes sensational but much slower than the New World. Still 6 points away from FG. Going to put the last of my centennial which is a touch over 100gm as the dry hop.

Pitched the witbier yesterday. Missed my OG by 4 points for whatever reason. So 5% in the bottle will only be 4.6%. 

Awesome.

Currently have a Coopers XPA brewing ( 6 days in ), dry hopped yesterday, probably CC around Tuesday ready for kegging next weekend, be a little while before it gets its chance to be on tap as there about 7 other kegs in front of it, but I will gas it (blanket of CO2 ) store in my cellar to mature over winter. 

Cheers RD44🍺🍺

• Like 1

I have this in the FV and fridge as of last night...

image.png

And this is finishing a 20 boil for the hops (with the LDME in the boil. I wasn't going to use LDME as it's my first time with LME but I wanted the bittering without boiling the LME.

image.png

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 5

Yesterday I mixed up an Amarillo Golden Ale kit n kilo+ I got from one of my LHBS.

• 1.7kg Golden Ale soft pack satchet
  • 1kg #20 Brew Blend
  • 0.5kg Light Dry Malt
  • 12.5g Amarillo 5 minute boil
  • 12.5g Amarillo dry hop
  • OG: 1.046
  • Vol: 23.5L
  • Predicted ABV 4.3%

S-04 Yeast at 20°C.  Nice looking krausen on top this morning

Planned keg tap

Untitled.jpg.7496abd7efc5ae4456c506ccfca49b0e.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yesterday I mixed up an Amarillo Golden Ale kit n kilo+ I got from one of my LHBS.

• 1.7kg Golden Ale soft pack satchet
  • 1kg #20 Brew Blend
  • 0.5kg Light Dry Malt
  • 12.5g Amarillo 5 minute boil
  • 12.5g Amarillo dry hop
  • OG: 1.046
  • Vol: 23.5L
  • Predicted ABV 4.3%

What's in #20 Brew blend?

5 hours ago, Journeyman said:

What's in #20 Brew blend?

"A rich blend of light dry brewing malt, dextrose and corn syrup.  Use with any beer to enhance flavour, body, mouthfeel and head retention"  Well, that is what was written on the package.  It looked similar to BE3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Corn syrup is basically a form of maltodextrin. It is used for the same purpose. To add body to the final beer.

Maltodextrin is a white powder made from corn, rice, potato starch, or wheat.

Even though it comes from plants, it’s highly processed. To make it, first the starches are cooked, and then acids or enzymes such as heat-stable bacterial alpha-amylase are added to break it down further. The resulting white powder is water-soluble and has a neutral taste.

Maltodextrins are closely related to corn syrup solids, with the one difference being their sugar content. Both undergo hydrolysis, a chemical process involving the addition of water to further assist breakdown.

However, after hydrolysis, corn syrup solids are at least 20 percent sugar, while maltodextrin is less than 20 percent sugar.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1