Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 7/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Its very variable depending on the ABV of the batch and how hoppy the batch was. Likely about 20% or less viability in my experience. You can tell by the colour and smell. If it is a light brown with patches of white then it will have some viability there. If its a dark grey and smells lile vegemite then most are dead. You will be able to fire up in a starter if you really wanted to but if its a dry yeast then it wouldn't be much more expensive to just buy another packet.

So how much would you put in a stalled batch? And would you pour off the water on top or mix it in?

Edited by DonPolo

2 minutes ago, DonPolo said:

so how much would you put in a stall batch? And would you pour off the water on top or mix it in?

Hey Don. For a stalled batch id pitch the lot just to get it done. Pour off all the liquid bar like 1cm to be able to swirl and get into suspension. As i said though. You might not have much viable yeast there after so long. Id go a yeast packet to finish it off instead if it was me

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Why wait so long!!!! Dry hopping taking longer than fermentation......

I had that same exact thought. I am sitting here going how is this possible. I am considering dry hopping when I pitch but I am concerned about the aroma decreasing. It is really weird, well seems weird that this step is longer than the fermentation! Maybe I might do 2 days warm and then crash for a few days and keg before the weekend. Yeah, I am going to do that.

47 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I had that same exact thought. I am sitting here going how is this possible. I am considering dry hopping when I pitch but I am concerned about the aroma decreasing. It is really weird, well seems weird that this step is longer than the fermentation! Maybe I might do 2 days warm and then crash for a few days and keg before the weekend. Yeah, I am going to do that.

I nearly always now, dry hop and turn down the temp a few hours later. I find that this works for me, I’m getting heaps of aroma and it’s cold crashed for carbing sooner. 
I know there’s people on this forum that believe warmer temps is always better for dry hopping, well, not in my experience. A short cold crash makes the same impression for most of the beers I brew. And yes, I’ve done the experiments. 

• Like 1

•Coopers dark ale

•1.5 kg of Morgan's extra light lme.

•300gs of dextrose

•100gs of chocolate grain. 

•120gs of roasted barley. 

•20gs of EKG @ 15 minutes 

•10gs of EKG @ 2 minutes 

•Nottingham @ 15 °c 

I didn't have any Carafe 2 or any pale chocolate grains, so in case you haven't already guessed it mate's ,I am having a red hot crack at brewing a TO, they are asking almost $60 a case now! My father in law is quiet enamored with the drop, I'll see if I can get into the ball park with this-

20200721_110042.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/21/2020 at 2:26 PM, Ocean's of Ale- said:

Coopers dark ale

•300gs of dextrose

•10gs of EKG @ 2 minutes 

•Nottingham @ 15 °c 

Not quite what I've got in the FV atmo but close, trying to clone Southwark Stout with Dark ale kit, dark malt, roasted barley & dextrose fermented with W34/70 @ 13°. Once the eggy smell dissipates the aroma is just amazing. Planning on another brew back to back with maybe an EKG steep or dry hop, not sure yet

What's a TO though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

Sound good @UncleStavvy your recipe that is & not your undercarriage, I've never tried lagering a dark ale or a stout it's a curious thought though. 

TO is Tooheys Old, I've read enough forum posts down the years to know that one must tread very cautiously when mentioning any localized production of any mega swil.

Must give it a go as I wouldn't drink it in my younger days in NSW but I've been loved up with Coopers Dark ale for years now, and its been some of the best home brew I've made.

Not sure if Tooheys Old counts as mega swill either. No doubt the recipe is from a more elegant and civilised era!

The recipe is off the spreadsheet, Mister Sinister to be exact but it also follows a recipe for Southwark Old Stout I found in an old thread here in the DIY recipe forum. Reckon if I used Coopers Commercial yeast it would be too much like Coopers stout so i went with the lager yeast on spec. I do have a 100g of EKG that I would like to try in a stout but actually bought them for dark ales

Edited by UncleStavvy

Just now, Ocean's of Ale- said:

@Hairy Did you ever try brewing it mate? If so can you remember what grain combinations you went with or in fact your recipe it's self?

No, I have never tried to replicate it.  I would have probably gone with some pale chocolate malt and some light crystal.

You want a yeast that attenuates well and fermented at the cooler end of the range. It is a fairly clean ale, almost dark lager like.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

So I'm about to drop some suds into the fv's, I'm going with a lager and a draught, I will be mixing with it either a be2 or an LME, still deciding, my question is, as hops is a new thing for me, I'm looking at trying cascade and galaxy tea bags, dry hop at day 3-4.... what's the difference and which one would suit these brews.? Cheers lads

1 hour ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

So I'm about to drop some suds into the fv's, I'm going with a lager and a draught, I will be mixing with it either a be2 or an LME, still deciding, my question is, as hops is a new thing for me, I'm looking at trying cascade and galaxy tea bags, dry hop at day 3-4.... what's the difference and which one would suit these brews.? Cheers lads

Use both. Cascade and Galaxy go well together.

How many grams in a tea bag?

Also, you will get more bang for your buck (and likely fresher hops) when you buy hop pellets in larger quantities, even in lots of 90-100g.

Have just removed the dry hop chux bag from my current brew & squeezed all the liquid goodness from it back into the brew. I'm very pleased with the aromas this combo has produced.

It's in cold condition mode right now, so will likely keg this on Saturday.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:56 AM, Ocean's of Ale- said:

•Coopers dark ale

•300gs of dextrose

•10gs of EKG @ 2 minutes 

•Nottingham @ 15 °c 

I didn't have any Carafe 2 or any pale chocolate grains, so in case you haven't already guessed it mate's ,I am having a red hot crack at brewing a TO, they are asking almost $60 a case now! My father in law is quiet enamored with the drop, I'll see if I can get into the ball park with this-

20200721_110042.jpg

Hey Ocean, why do you have tin foil covering your tap? Got insects in in your fridge? 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2020 at 9:10 AM, The Captain!! said:

I nearly always now, dry hop and turn down the temp a few hours later. I find that this works for me, I’m getting heaps of aroma and it’s cold crashed for carbing sooner. 
I know there’s people on this forum that believe warmer temps is always better for dry hopping, well, not in my experience. A short cold crash makes the same impression for most of the beers I brew. And yes, I’ve done the experiments. 

I used to dry hop commando* and cold crashed for a week, trying to get the hops to drop out. What a bloody waste of time. 

When I started making spunded lagers I stumbled onto the benefits of short cold crashing and fining with gelatine, and do that with my ales too now. If I am fermenting in a keg, I will chill the keg first, then open it to add the gelatine and the dry hops (contained in something); the dry hops stay in until the keg is empty. If I am fermenting in a bucket, I dry hop to the bucket post-fermentation, for 3-4 days at ambient temp, then transfer to the keg, add the gelatine, and start the cold crash....I used to think it was necessary to chill the brew before adding the gelatine but some forum members told me that it is not necessary, so I tried it, and they were right. Now I just add the gelatine when it suits me.

I read a study that dry hopping with pellets for six hours extracts about the same hop intensity as longer time frames, but I have actually moved the other way, from three to four days, after reading that is what they do at Heady Topper. First time I tried it I thought I noticed increased hop presence. Dry hopping rate might have something to do with it. Since my dry hopping rates are pretty low, I figure I need all the help I can get. 😆

Cheers,

Christina.

* I no longer dry hop commando.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

Ok, so after a lengthy conversation with the local HB dudette, I have had a minor adjustment to my hop additions, I will now be going for a Hallertau dry hopped into the Dark Ale, and a Pride of Ringwood dry hopped into the Lager..... will be a good change....hopefully

3 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Ok, so after a lengthy conversation with the local HB dudette, I have had a minor adjustment to my hop additions, I will now be going for a Hallertau dry hopped into the Dark Ale, and a Pride of Ringwood dry hopped into the Lager..... will be a good change....hopefully

I would have gone the reverse myself. PoR in the Ale, & Hallertau in the lager.

Each to their own though.

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I would have gone the reverse myself. PoR in the Ale, & Hallertau in the lager.

Each to their own though.

Lusty.

I haven't dropped it yet, why would you go that way, I'm interested in learning, she said if I like a tooheys old style the hallertau would be right and the por would lend itself towards a great northern style lager.... what's the reasoning you would go the other way, I'm looking at a few hop lists to see what gives what flavours