Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Rye of the Tiger, Black Rye Tucan IPA.

This pressure ferment has been going since Sunday. Will more than likely dry hop this Sunday before cold crashing. Still not sure what hops or qty, will see what i have on hand.

• Like 4

Kegged the red ale the other day, and today pitched the pale ale, currently sitting at 16.3 degrees. I'm cleaning the flask now as well so I might do the old boiling water in the fridge later on, just until the thing gets going, and again when it's nearing the end. Strangely only got 19 litres in the fermenter despite the the cube being practically full. Oh well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

About to pitch my coopers yeast recovered from bottles. Should I room temp it B4 pitching or straight from the fridge?

I'm worried it may shock the little blighters 

Either or really, the CCY is a beast. My experience is pitch at 21-23° in the wort straight from the fridge. Tip off any clear fluid from container, add wort from FV, swish and pitch. BUT....hold temp at 21-23° for 12-18hrs or visible kraussen then set req temp for recipe

Edited by UncleStavvy
  • Thanks 2

Got a West coast Pale Ale fangin away.

marris otter

munich

light Crystal.

columbus, cascade and centennial in the boil. Simcoe as a dry hop. 

US05 doing the hard work. 

awesome brew day. Mash ph was spot on. Numbers were bang on and my first yeast starter got to business as per the picture below withIn 8-10 hrs. Will definitely be making starters from now on. 

522D7C34-929D-486C-9BAB-18755DB079EE.jpeg

• Like 8

Belgian Chocolate Stout - April ROTM

• 1.7kg Devil’s Half Ruby Porter
  • 1.5kg Amber Malt Extract 
  • 1.5kg Light Malt Extract (Instead of 1kg Light Dry Malt)
  • 300g Chocolate Malt Grains (Up from 250g in the recipe)
  • 100g Cacao Nibs
  • 1 Vanilla Bean
  • Safale S-33 plus kit yeast

Made mine to 25L to reduce the ABV in the keg to around 5.5% instead of 6.4%.  The extra volume will also let me bottle a couple of longnecks.

• Like 5

On 6/1/2020 at 8:57 AM, Hairy said:

I use one of these more hop teas.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/8-cup-coffee-plunger/1024820

Coffee plungers work well.

After being out of stock for weeks, I finally got hold of one from Kmart recently. Used it yesterday for the first time. Absolutely worked a treat. Much simpler than the Chux method. 🙂 

• Like 4

Fermentation in the Sinister stout has slowed right down, now taking over 4 hrs for the temp to get to 13.3°. Removed the kraussen collar yesterday and the eggy smell is much less with the stout aroma coming through nicely. Take an SG in the morning and see how it's going for day 7.

On 7/17/2020 at 4:24 PM, JoeB7 said:

About to pitch my coopers yeast recovered from bottles. Should I room temp it B4 pitching or straight from the fridge?

I'm worried it may shock the little blighters 

It's actually better pitching it cold straight from the fridge. This has become standard practice for me for the last five years or so and never fails. I do it with yeast starters as well, they're usually up and going in a couple of hours. Full batches take longer but generally under 24 hours. 

It's worse going the other way pitching warm yeast into wort that's too cool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's actually better pitching it cold straight from the fridge. This has become standard practice for me for the last five years or so and never fails. I do it with yeast starters as well, they're usually up and going in a couple of hours. Full batches take longer but generally under 24 hours. 

It's worse going the other way pitching warm yeast into wort that's too cool. 

On another point, how long do you think you can keep a trub in the fridge before it becomes inactive? I've had one in the fridge since October last year.

22 minutes ago, DonPolo said:

On another point, how long do you think you can keep a trub in the fridge before it becomes inactive? I've had one in the fridge since October last year.

I had one that lasted over a year with no problem reactivating.

• Like 1

Its very variable depending on the ABV of the batch and how hoppy the batch was. Likely about 20% or less viability in my experience. You can tell by the colour and smell. If it is a light brown with patches of white then it will have some viability there. If its a dark grey and smells lile vegemite then most are dead. You will be able to fire up in a starter if you really wanted to but if its a dry yeast then it wouldn't be much more expensive to just buy another packet.

• Thanks 2

My current little Pale Ale is going along well atm. Current SG is a couple of points higher than estimated FG but I'll be fine if it plateaus there. Tasting good from the hydrometer sample. Just added my dry hop mix of Columbus, Galaxy & Nelson Sauvin, that should make for a really nice aroma. Will likely keg it mid to late this week.

I'll need the room in my fermentation fridge to chill down about 30L of water in preparation for a test run of the recirculating rapid cooling system I plan to use with my Guten 50L AG setup, that will hopefully arrive this week. If the trial run is successful, I'll look to have a go at my first AG brew soon after.

I really can't wait.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I'll look to have a go at my first AG brew soon after.

We've finally got you on board now have we @Beerlust Lusty!?!

Welcome aboard the good ship HMAS AllGrainer mate!!!

Good luck with that new set-up mate... great stuff.

And for future reference I do believe @Aussiekraut AK is a bit of a Guten expert...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

over in the Guten thread.

Ah I see... you dodgy Guten Brewers have got your OWN Thread !?!  ha ha ; )

Great stuff mate!!

Don't think us plain old Large Stainless Steel Vessel Brewers have got our own threat  : |

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

After being out of stock for weeks, I finally got hold of one from Kmart recently. Used it yesterday for the first time. Absolutely worked a treat. Much simpler than the Chux method. 🙂 

+1 for the coffee plunger from K-Mart for the hop steeps, used mine for the first time last night and its the way to go. I got the last one on the shelves a while back and thought it about time to give it a go.

Kudos to whoever it was that pointed this bit of kit out. @Titan I think it was - good work.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

Threw a basic coopers lager can with

500gr left over BE1

500gr LDM

approx 400gr BE3

Boiled 2 big handfuls of my bros lucky dip hops flowers (mixed bag of chinook/cascade/PoR) around 75°C 20mins

Rehydrated can yeast & Coopers recovered bottle yeast, followed @UncleStavvyadvice re:pitching temps.

Suck it & see🙄

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 11:56 AM, Titan said:

Rye of the Tiger, Black Rye Tucan IPA.

This pressure ferment has been going since Sunday. Will more than likely dry hop this Sunday before cold crashing. Still not sure what hops or qty, will see what i have on hand.

Just dry hopped this with:

25g galaxy

20g Ekuanot

40g simco

5g of unknown that was unlabelled in the freezer. Interested to see how this turns out as this is the biggest dry hop additions i have done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ah I see... you dodgy Guten Brewers have got your OWN Thread !?!  ha ha ; )

Great stuff mate!!

Don't think us plain old Large Stainless Steel Vessel Brewers have got our own threat  : |

I considered joining your lot BB, but it takes far too long to say & type compared to "Guten". 😜

7 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Fermentation in the Sinister stout has slowed right down, now taking over 4 hrs for the temp to get to 13.3°. Removed the kraussen collar yesterday and the eggy smell is much less with the stout aroma coming through nicely. Take an SG in the morning and see how it's going for day 7.

Jumped the gun and took an SG.....1.032. Its still fermenting but was expecting lower than that. Should I bump the temp up a little. Thats nowhere near ready for diacetyl rest

Jumped the gun and took the reading too soon, now reading 1.018. Crazy game this

Edited by UncleStavvy