Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

I've got a Coopers OS Lager extract fermenting. The yeast I've used in it was harvested from a Coopers European lager brew I made just prior. I've had some great results with the Euro lager and figured the difference between the OS lager and the Euro lager was probably the yeast, so I thought I might be able to emulate the Euro lager for a few less dollars by substituting the yeast in the OS lager. Based on a taste test tonight I think I should just spend the few extra bucks on the Euro tin.  It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. Hopefully it will surprise me after it's bottled.

Edited by MUZZY

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I put down a relatively easy little extract + grains brew yesterday afternoon. I used the MJ's M44 yeast on it....

...Could be an interesting morning tomorrow.

Nice full coverage krausen this morning. 🙂

Still not out of the woods though due to the time taken for this to establish. There may well be a wild yeast infection involved now. I'll let it ferment out, then I'll know.

The FV hasn't ended up against the back fence this morning, but it still may in a week or two's time.

Fingers crossed. 🤞

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

14 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I used the MJ's M44 yeast on it.

No krausen when I got up this morning, a very small patch that maybe a krausen forming when I arrived home late this afternoon.

I'm Interested to hear how this goes. I've a packet of M44 and thinking of using it on a Wheat ale/NEIPA  in the next week. Ive heard it can be a bit (very) slow to start.

Coopers Preachers Hefe + Wheat Malt extract + Citra + Amarillo

Edited by Abbot-67

8 hours ago, Abbot-67 said:

I'm Interested to hear how this goes. I've a packet of M44 and thinking of using it on a Wheat ale/NEIPA  in the next week. Ive heard it can be a bit (very) slow to start.

Coopers Preachers Hefe + Wheat Malt extract + Citra + Amarillo

Got home a short while ago & the brew is belching some genuinely lovely smells atm. Nice pillowy krausen in full work now. I'm really looking forward to this hop combo, hence my rage if the yeast @#$%s the brew. The strain itself just seems to spend a lengthy time in the growth phase before beginning to actively ferment the wort, & that makes me nervous as the risk of spoilage increases with that lag time.

Promising signs now though for a good ferment. 🙂

Lusty.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Got home a short while ago & the brew is belching some genuinely lovely smells atm. Nice pillowy krausen in full work now. I'm really looking forward to this hop combo, hence my rage if the yeast @#$%s the brew. The strain itself just seems to spend a lengthy time in the growth phase before beginning to actively ferment the wort, & that makes me nervous as the risk of spoilage increases with that lag time.

Promising signs now though for a good ferment. 🙂

Lusty.

M44 doesn't = BRY97 does it??

8 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

All I can say from my experiences using them mate is that they behave EXACTLY the same.

Different  yeast companies. Their origins I admit don't know.

Lusty.

Sinister Old Stout is putting up a fight with the brew fridge taking its time to knock the temp down to 13°. Lovely foamy kraussen this morning so held the temp at 18 as per recipe till late afternoon then reset ye olde Inkbird for the lower temp

• Haha 2

Almost done with a brew - not sure what it is. 😄

Coopers Real Ale, 1kg LDME, 750g Coopers Ale malt, 400g caramalt, 12.5g @ 30 mins simcoe, and a tea of 12.5 each of EKG and mosaic. 

Just waiting for the cool down so I can pitch - 2 can yeasts, 1 x Real ale can and 1 x Family Secret amber from a while back. 

Smells good so far. 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

You're right Muzzy, the yeast strains are different but Euro Lager has aroma hop that isn't in the Original Series brew.

That would explain why my pre-bottled samples taste different. Thanks CDIYBT.

22 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Well, they both sell em to do the same beer style...

I have thrown on an Abbey Blonde today. I omitted the Crystal steep last time, and it was a great beer. Have brewed it to the recipe this time.

Haven't felt grain steeps do anything, but so far they've gone into first time brewed beers that turned out crap, and the Yorkie Square, which was nothing special, but quaffable.

Edited by Lab Cat

1 hour ago, Lab Cat said:

Haven't felt grain steeps do anything

I've had good results with steeping light crystal and caramalt. Also some choc malt in a dark old english style. 'Good' as in I can taste the flavours in the brews.

6 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

You're right Muzzy, the yeast strains are different but Euro Lager has aroma hop that isn't in the Original Series brew.

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

That would explain why my pre-bottled samples taste different. Thanks CDIYBT.

GetSmart-FellForTheOld_BrewcanTrick.jpg

😁

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I've had good results with steeping light crystal and caramalt. Also some choc malt in a dark old english style. 'Good' as in I can taste the flavours in the brews.

I definitely noticed choc malt grain when I did it in a dark beer, but too dark and roasty for me. The Crystal hasn't seemed to do anything...

Fridge has got down to temp today and is managing 13° OK. Quite the eggy smell from this brew which I haven't had before with the amber lagers but it's quite pronounced with this stout. Kraussen has collapsed down to a 1" foam so all in all looking good so far.

5 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

Fridge has got down to temp today and is managing 13° OK. Quite the eggy smell from this brew which I haven't had before with the amber lagers but it's quite pronounced with this stout. Kraussen has collapsed down to a 1" foam so all in all looking good so far.

It's a lager yeast. It's what it does. All good.

14 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Hey Lusty.

I used to work in the grocery industry. There's numerous products out there that are identical that have different labels.

I bet your missus does most of the grocery shopping these days. 😜

• Haha 1

NEIPA at 1016 this morning and looks like it's finished, day six. OG was 1060 so looking around 6% ABV. Nice colour. Will check again tomorrow and then it could be bottling day. Just as well because I am down to my last bottle of Fruit of the Woods!

• Like 1

Hi Lab Cat.

On 7/15/2020 at 6:52 PM, Lab Cat said:

I definitely noticed choc malt grain when I did it in a dark beer, but too dark and roasty for me.

There are quite a number of roasting levels available. As high as 1300 EBC, & in years gone past I have regularly purchased a 600 EBC version. I find this one noticeably milder & less intense. I use about 100gms of it in my amber ales & it doesn't leave that acrid deep roasted character often left by the heavier roasted grains.

Midnight wheat is also a smoother version of these types of grains worth trying if you find the traditional ones a bit harsh.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.