Coopers Community

BIAB: the journey begins. Now for recipes and guidance

Marty_G

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

I did a London Brown Ale earlier in the year which was definitely mid strength but you would have never known it. Plenty of body and flavour.

Oh I like the look of that for a 1st BIAB. Simple grain bill and cheap hop additions.  No where to hide with that one will give a great indication of the difference between Extract and AG brewing.    Petrie town water, are you is SEQ NewBrews? 

7 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I lived in Petrie for a while back from 2008-2010. Lived in the street opposite the pub, Patterson it is called. 

We moved over here from Redcliffe late last century some time, so probably crossed paths somewhere along the line, small community that it is.

Woolies own the pub down there now so it’s the same as all the others, but the beers are still cold.

Jast a quick question about hopping. I notice that people use hop spiders and the like. I have two grain bags if I put one inside the other and put the grain in the inner one to mash and removed it once mashed out leaving the second in the wort can I commando the hops straight into that then removed at flame out.  Or is there a reason why this will not work? Seems to be a sound concept to me. 

The only reason I've done that once and never again is because it buggered up the boil off rate. I tried it with hop flowers, but I doubt pellets would be any different. 

I don't have a hop spider as such, just a hop sock from Craftbrewer that I've attached some stainless steel wire to to hold it in place on the urn. It kind of looks like a spider though with its three legs. 

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Jast a quick question about hopping. I notice that people use hop spiders and the like. I have two grain bags if I put one inside the other and put the grain in the inner one to mash and removed it once mashed out leaving the second in the wort can I commando the hops straight into that then removed at flame out.  Or is there a reason why this will not work? Seems to be a sound concept to me. 

Don't use a hop spider. I used it twice and had problems losing liquid. The spider clogs up and any liquid in it will remain in it. I tried stirring it but that made no difference. The mesh completely clogs up. Stick with hop socks or bags. 

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Don't use a hop spider. I used it twice and had problems losing liquid. The spider clogs up and any liquid in it will remain in it. I tried stirring it but that made no difference. The mesh completely clogs up. Stick with hop socks or bags. 

+1. Hop spiders are an absolute PITA. Good for scrap metal or landfill only.

4 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Hey @Greeny1525229549 do you have an AG Beerlao clone. I got a partial of you a year or so ago that was pretty darn good.  Or maybe point me in the right direction on how to do one. 

All asian lagers are similar mate. Just varying degrees of malt, rice and crystal or melanoiden malt. All tend to use german hops. I found a 3kg pilsener malt with 1kg rice and a little amount of crystal or melanoiden hit the spot for me. I used budvar yeast predominately though which by its nature tends to give a malty taste. If i remember correct you were using W34/70. 

From memory of drinking beer lao it was a little more malty but about the same IBU as a chang. Id go 80/20 or maybe even 85/15 malt v rice. Hallertau or saaz for the hops for early 20s IBU and W34/70.

Also you might wanna look at this site on cereal mashing mate as you go to AG. Works a treat and rice is only 1kg for $1.40 at woolies so it will save you a fair bit of coin if you wanted to give it a go.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

https://beerlao.la/brewing/ingredient/

• Like 1

Latin GIF by Apple Music

5 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Also you might wanna look at this site on cereal mashing mate as you go to AG. Works a treat and rice is only 1kg for $1.40 at woolies so it will save you a fair bit of coin if you wanted to give it a go.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I reckon the longer socks etc. are probably better than hop bags.

Longer socks are awesome with sandals too!

I used to have a homemade hop spider and used paint straining bags. They are pretty cheap if you buy them in bulk and they worked really well. I just treated them as single use bags so I didn’t have to clean them.

Now I have an SS Grainfather hop spider. I have no problems with it but it does get a bit cloggy with large amounts of hops.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Now I have an SS Grainfather hop spider. I have no problems with it but it does get a bit cloggy with large amounts of hops.

The one that came with my Guten is a pile of junk. Today I used it to keep my hop bags in, so i could take them out easier and the POS clogged up with hot break, so I had to tip the bags into the kettle anyway.

Edited by Aussiekraut

Thanks for the hop spider tips.  Cost me $7.50 to make this out of a 50c fitting from LifeLine and paint straining bag x 3  from Bunnings. All I need now are 3 cable ties and a peice of dowel wide enough to sit on the kettle and bingo I have a full functional hop sock. 

20191231_144949.jpg

20191231_144946.jpg

• Like 4