Coopers Community

Summer or session ale using an Australian pale Ale Extract.

robwalk

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I just add the yeast to the wort that is a few degrees above ferment temp then stick it in the brew fridge and bring it down to brew temp which with 23 litres will take several hours.

That's my most common approach too.  But sometimes rehydrate or make a starter - more often for higher OG brews.  My  Session Ale is off and running with a very healthy smelling vigourous brew after less than 24 hours pitched @ 20degrees, brewing at 19.  I used the saved US-05 yeast from the my previous brew.  No washing just a full 150ml jar of cake straight from the fermenter and stored for just on 2 weeks.  Let it come to room temp for a couple of hours.  

Looking good ATM

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 7:48 AM, Aussiekraut said:

I recently made the Pacific Summer Ale and thought it was a very nice beer. You don't have the Summer hops but you may be able to just use double the amount of Galaxy. Should be nice. Drop the DME to 750g or use 500g DME and 250g dex. I find the beer very refreshing and had to show a lot of restraint to ensure there is some left for when the in-laws arrive. Luckily they are supposed to arrive today...if JetStar plays ball that is.

I put down the Pacific Summer Ale yesterday, had to use Mosaic Hops as the LHBS had no Galaxy, but did have the Windsor Yeast.
But it’s fermenting up nicely, good Krausen and smells great, cheers 🍺🍺

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

I put down the Pacific Summer Ale yesterday, had to use Mosaic Hops

That'll give it a different twist.  I really like Mosaic - use it heavily in a US IPA, but Galaxy it is not.  Should be a nice brew.

6 minutes ago, robwalk said:

That'll give it a different twist.  I really like Mosaic - use it heavily in a US IPA, but Galaxy it is not.  Should be a nice brew.

I hope so Robwalk, might give it a review when I keg it and put it on tap, keen to see how the Mosaic turns out.

I have a couple of Stone & Wood Clones to put down but cannot get any Galaxy locally ATM.

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

might give it a review when I keg it and put it on tap,

Hey Red Devil 44. I'd be interested to know.

Galaxy, if you're prepared to pay shipping:

TripleJ's - only 50 and 500gm advertised
Keg King - 100gm

I've used both and been very pleased with product and delivery.  There are plenty of others

Just put this down interested to see how it turns out.  21 litres of Coopers Draught, 500g Rice Syrup, 200g Maltodextrin, 300g Dark Malt, 25g Amarillo hop tea and 25g Amarillo dry hop.  Brewed at 19 with fresh packet of Morgan's American Ale which I beleive is US05 as my harvested stocks of US05 are getting on and have not been used for 6 months. Will be kegged in a 19L cornie and come in around 3.6%. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Just put this down interested to see how it turns out.  21 litres of Coopers Draught, 500g Rice Syrup, 200g Maltodextrin, 300g Dark Malt, 25g Amarillo hop tea and 25g Amarillo dry hop.  Brewed at 19 with fresh packet of Morgan's American Ale which I beleive is US05

Sounds really interesting Marty of the big number.  I liked your idea of the Draught with Rice syrup - the addition of some dark malt makes it really interesting.  Is that DDME or Dark malt extract?  Haven't got any Amarillo ATM, but I wouldn't look at brewing something like this till about Feb/March.

1 hour ago, robwalk said:

Is that DDME or Dark malt extract?

I use dry malts, they are easier to weigh and use. So it was the DDM... It was weird the way it came about I had one idea in my head when i got to the LHBS and when I left i had totally changed my mind....my next brew will be sorgt of what i had in mind for the draught. It will be a lager with 500g rice syrup, 200g maltodextrine and 300g LDM using Hallertau and Nottingham yeast

Edited by MartyG1525230263

9 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

It will be a lager with 500g rice syrup, 200g maltodextrine and 300g LDM using Hallertau and Nottingham yeast

Hey, that sounds nice too.  Think I've gotta get into this rice syrup.  Will you make a wort using the hallertau, use a tea or just dry hop?

15 minutes ago, robwalk said:

Will you make a wort using the hallertau, use a tea or just dry hop?

Both. 20 minute hop tea while getting the gear together. I dissolve every thing FO at about 50then let it cool while doing the hop tea and sterlising the fermenter etc.   I dry hop on day 4 just as the ferment slows and before the I start the cold crash. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

13 hours ago, robwalk said:

I've got that on my 'to do' list too but not sure where I'm going to fit in  - got about 6 'planned' now and I do about 1 brew a month.

I know what you mean.  I have got three all grain recipes ready to go plus four Coopers extract cans plus two soft pack extract recipes done by my LHBS.  Which to do first?

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have got three all grain recipes ready to go plus four Coopers extract cans plus two soft pack extract recipes done by my LHBS.  Which to do first?

WOW!  Keep you busy - but sounds like lots of variety.  Cheers for Christmas and New Year.  Certainly plenty of beer cheer there.

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I know what you mean.  I have got three all grain recipes ready to go plus four Coopers extract cans plus two soft pack extract recipes done by my LHBS.  Which to do first?

Why so much? Where are you going to put all of that? 

52 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Why so much? Where are you going to put all of that? 

I am a sucker for a bargain. I also get inspired by seeing recipes for sale, that I have to brew. I nearly bought the latest Recipes of the Month, but luckily they were sold out before I got around to it. 

• Like 3

My 'Session Ale' has finished it's fast fermentation - the kruasen has all but disappeared and I've added 25gms of Citra pellets.  It smelt really good when I dropped the hop ball in.  However, since I started the brew, I've been thinking about off flavours.  I remembered reading somewhere, over-pitching yeasts can lead to this.  I know I over-pitched yeast.  I did not control the yeast harvest I did and took a very haphazard approach to harvesting and pitching.  So I started to look around and read a bit.  My brew has certainly fermented quickly but seems healthy at this stage.  I intend to rack it into an SV  on Friday to minimise possible bad flavours from too much dead yeast (I usually do this anyway for clearer beer.)  Just a couple of things.

Is it OK to transfer the hopball to the SV?  It will have been in the brew for 3 days.  I would to have it for 5 days.  Or should I just wait another day or two to rack.  

I started to look into esters and fusel alcohols as some say that these are produced when yeast is over pitched.  One article said "The authors found that increasing the yeast dose from 5-7 million yeast cells per/mL did not alter the amount of ethyl acetate formed, but increasing the dose to from 7-9 cells per/mL significantly increased the concentration by about 10%"  ( I really have no idea what cell count I pitched so his numbers mean little, but I expect I'm well into - or over -the the highest level.  So is there a way to reduce ethyl acetate?  Will increased time in th SV help reduce it?

BTW, the article is a good read covering a range of issues that may effect brew flavours inc, temperature, trub,  pitch rates, oxyge and more.

2 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

are you suing temp contol? If so what temp was the ferment done at

Yeast pitched at 20 degrees then into the fridge with just cooling and set at 19 degrees - it dropped to 18 over one night - otherwise sitting on 19.

And not looking forward to bland beer, but that's better than off flavours.  I guess time will tell.

11 hours ago, robwalk said:

And not looking forward to bland beer,

The bland beer I had cam from a from massive over pitch. I once pitched directly onto the yeast cake after kegging a brew and it was pretty bland.   I pitch about 100ml -200 ml of harvested yeast cake regularly and have had no isssues with bland beer doing that.  my rule of thumb for ales it that they usually finish in a round 4 daysish some earlier somes later but by 4 day the guts of the ferment is over.  I have one i am doing now that is nearly at target FG which was pitched at 1.30 on monday and this morning it is at 1010.  so will dry hop it today.    

So how fast was this ferment you are worries about, you put very little detail about time etc in the post.   Also the OG will affect the length of ferment. I don't brew hiigh OG beers which will take a bit longer as they have more surgars to metabolise.  Just a tip next time puting the brews info like OG, temp, volume etc into the post will help with understanding your brew.    eg  my brew is 21L at 19degrees with US05 dry pitched, OG 1039 target 1011. and it is there now.  the hop addition was a 25G Amarillo hop team and 25g Amarillo dry hop on day 4.   Will start cold crash in 2 days  at 2 degrees and add gelatine once at CC temp is reached will CC for 4 days. 

57 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I pitch about 100ml -200 ml of harvested yeast cake regularly and have had no isssues with bland beer doing that.

Hey Marty of the big number, this gives me hart(sic).  I pitched about 100mls of foaming cake.  I'd stored 150 mls of cake in a sterile jar in the fridge for 2 weeks.  Before pitching, I'd let it come to room temp, about 18 degrees, over an hour.  It had become active during the warm-up.  So it was well within your pitch range.  OG - 1.045.  Pitched at 20 degrees into 23L.  Krausen formed overnight and was collapsing 3 days later.  Dry hopped day 4 - just a few islands of yeast on the surface.

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Will start cold crash in 2 days  at 2 degrees and add gelatine once at CC temp is reached will CC for 4 days. 

I'll check for FG tomorrow and Saturday.  If stable will go for transfer to SV - I like to get my brews off the trub - and Cold Crash.  I usually go to 4 degrees and I don't use gelatine any more.  It's clear enough for me.