Coopers Community

Summer or session ale using an Australian pale Ale Extract.

robwalk

I'm looking for a freshening session or summer ale using stuff I've got in store and I want to base it on the Aust. Pale Ale can.  It is well within date, but my oldest stock item.  Something based on or similar to the Shark Fin Summer Ale looks OK.  I would even like to go a little lower in alcohol than 4.5%  -  down as low as 4.0%.  I was thinking maybe 500gm LDME with 250gm Dextrose instead of the full 1 kg of LDME

I have all the ingredients except Enigma hops.  Suggested substitutes that I have on hand are Vic Secret, Nelson Sauv,  Topaz and Cascade.

Any comments and suggestions?  

Looks alright. I don't think the Dex will add anything other than ABV, so may as well drop it if you want lower alc. Maybe add a little more LDM?

I'd use the Cascade. Seems to go with anything. I'm starting to buy bigger bags of it and keep on hand.

Hey, thanks.

9 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

I don't think the Dex will add anything other than ABV, so may as well drop it if you want lower alc. Maybe add a little more LDM?

I thought using less malt with some DEX would help make it a little crisper in flavour and reducing the total amount of fermentables reduce the ABV just a little.

I've got plenty of Cascade, inc some flowers from my crop last summer.  Would you go flowers or pellets?

Just made the Coopers Session Ale (4.2%), pretty straightforward recipe, drinking very nicely after only 9 days in the bottle. I added a bit more hops,  as I had 50g of Chinook left over and couldn't get any Melba. Next time would up the dry hopping a bit, maybe with some Citra, but it's a good refreshing summer brew, which is exactly what I was after.

PS the Chinook was fresh and Cascade would work a treat!

Edited by ozlizard

1 hour ago, robwalk said:

Hey, thanks.

I thought using less malt with some DEX would help make it a little crisper in flavour and reducing the total amount of fermentables reduce the ABV just a little.

I've got plenty of Cascade, inc some flowers from my crop last summer.  Would you go flowers or pellets?

Never tried flowers, as I can't get them.

54 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Just made the Coopers Session Ale (4.2%), pretty straightforward recipe, drinking very nicely after only 9 days in the bottle. I added a bit more hops,  as I had 50g of Chinook left over and couldn't get any Melba. Next time would up the dry hopping a bit, maybe with some Citra, but it's a good refreshing summer brew, which is exactly what I was after.

Thanks for reminding me of the Session Ale.  Good call.  I've got Citra as well.  Maybe go a bit of cascade and Citra.  Certainly an option worth considering.

Melba still unavailable to homebrewers after the fire nearly 2 seasons back - hopefully will become available later next year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robwalk said:

I'm looking for a freshening session or summer ale using stuff I've got in store and I want to base it on the Aust. Pale Ale can.  It is well within date, but my oldest stock item.  Something based on or similar to the Shark Fin Summer Ale looks OK.  I would even like to go a little lower in alcohol than 4.5%  -  down as low as 4.0%.  I was thinking maybe 500gm LDME with 250gm Dextrose instead of the full 1 kg of LDME

I recently made the Pacific Summer Ale and thought it was a very nice beer. You don't have the Summer hops but you may be able to just use double the amount of Galaxy. Should be nice. Drop the DME to 750g or use 500g DME and 250g dex. I find the beer very refreshing and had to show a lot of restraint to ensure there is some left for when the in-laws arrive. Luckily they are supposed to arrive today...if JetStar plays ball that is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robwalk said:

Thanks for reminding me of the Session Ale.  Good call.  I've got Citra as well.  Maybe go a bit of cascade and Citra.  Certainly an option worth considering.

Melba still unavailable to homebrewers after the fire nearly 2 seasons back - hopefully will become available later next year.

Just bottled a Session Ale four days ago. I used 25g Citra hop steep and 25g Citra 4 day dry hop. Obviously haven't tried it out of the bottle yet but it smelt and tasted great going into the bottle. Very excited about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I recently made the Pacific Summer Ale and thought it was a very nice beer.

Thanks Aussiekraut.  Yes,I've made the Pacific Summer Ale and enjoyed it.  I've got the hops but not the yeast.  Got US-05 available - both dry and saved from last beer - and US-04.  A couple of other Ale yeasts but they're a bit old and suss.  I could go the 'starter' route with them though.  How do you think it would go with US-05?

26 minutes ago, Cassius said:

Just bottled a Session Ale four days ago. I used 25g Citra hop steep and 25g Citra 4 day dry hop

Very interesting.  What yeast did you use, Cassius?  Do you think US-05 would be good?  That's my preferred yeast because I have a batch saved on hand and just on 2 weeks old.  Would prefer not to go the Commercial yeast harvest route at the moment (Christmas looming) and want to get the brew on today - latest tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, robwalk said:

Thanks Aussiekraut.  Yes,I've made the Pacific Summer Ale and enjoyed it.  I've got the hops but not the yeast.  Got US-05 available - both dry and saved from last beer - and US-04.  A couple of other Ale yeasts but they're a bit old and suss.  I could go the 'starter' route with them though.  How do you think it would go with US-05?

I think US-05 should be fine. I used it for an AG pacific ale and the result seems fine. Will be bottled tonight. 

1 hour ago, robwalk said:

Very interesting.  What yeast did you use, Cassius?  Do you think US-05 would be good?  That's my preferred yeast because I have a batch saved on hand and just on 2 weeks old.  Would prefer not to go the Commercial yeast harvest route at the moment (Christmas looming) and want to get the brew on today - latest tomorrow.

I did US-05 as I didn't have any Cooper's ready at the time. That's my standard go-to for any pale ales, so I think it will be fine.

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I recently made the Pacific Summer Ale and thought it was a very nice beer. You don't have the Summer hops but you may be able to just use double the amount of Galaxy. Should be nice. Drop the DME to 750g or use 500g DME and 250g dex. I find the beer very refreshing and had to show a lot of restraint to ensure there is some left for when the in-laws arrive. Luckily they are supposed to arrive today...if JetStar plays ball that is.

I have a Coopers Pale Ale can i was wanting to pimp out a little, the Pacific Summer Ale you mentioned looks the goods. 😀

I don’t think I can get the Windsor Yeast but will go with US 05 🍺

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I have a Coopers Pale Ale can i was wanting to pimp out a little, the Pacific Summer Ale you mentioned looks the goods. 😀

I don’t think I can get the Windsor Yeast but will go with US 05 🍺

I don’t think I can get the Summer Hops in my neck of the woods but I’ll go with the double Galaxy Hops you mentioned Aussiekraut as that is a nice Hop IMO.

cheers 🍺🍺

58 minutes ago, Cassius said:

I did US-05 as I didn't have any Cooper's ready at the time. That's my standard go-to for any pale ales, so I think it will be fine.

Probably going with the Pacific Summer Ale, but I'll keep that in mind for maybe my next brew (or the one after).  Still be looking for a session ale style in February - those balmy late Summer Autumn evenings.

• Like 2

I have been thinking hard about the Summer/Session Ale and have decided to go down a bit of a different path. Think I will use a can of Coopers Draught extract, 500g of Rice syrup, 300g of DLME and dry hopped with 30g of Citra or Saaz depening what I have on hand, fermented with Nottingham @20.  Should come in a round the 3.5%. However, I may up the rice to a kilo get it to around 3.9% 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Think I will use a can of Coopers Draught extract, 500g of Rice syrup, 300g of DLME and dry hopped with 30g of Citra or Saaz depening what I have on hand, fermented with Nottingham @20o

I like the idea.  I've seen the Coopers Draught raised a number of times for a light session ale.  I'll have to give it a go sometime soon.  Other extract cans mentioned as a base for a light or crisper session ale are the Mexican Ceveza and the Canadian Blonde.  But never used rice syrup before and I guess that would move toward Japanese style beers.

11 hours ago, robwalk said:

But never used rice syrup before and I guess that would move toward Japanese style beers.

Yep, pretty much all Asian beers use rice syrup. I have made some pretty good lagers using it but have not used it in an ale and just happen to have some on hand.  I may even use dark dry malt rather than light dry malt. 

46 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I have made some pretty good lagers using it but have not used it in an ale and just happen to have some on hand.  I may even use dark dry malt rather than light dry malt. 

Certainly going to have a look at this early next year - maybe a February or March brew.

Just put my batch on - based on the Session Ale with US-05 saved yeast; 750gm LDME; 12gm Galaxy, 8gm Azacca, 8gm Citra in the steep.  Pitched yeast at 20 degrees and set fermenter to 18  Although I may change it back to 20 for a day or so - get some esters - still thinking on that.  Will use Galaxy and Citra in the dry hop with a little higher Citra in the ratio.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.  Smells good in the FV.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, apologies if I'm hijacking this thread, but it's a kind of related question. This is my first post, and I'm about to have a go at my second home brew... the Pacific Summer Ale. My question is regarding adding the yeast.

The Coopers recipe says to sprinkle both the Windsor yeast and the brew can yeast., which I'm assuming means adding both dry. But the Windsor packet says to rehydrate the yeast before use.

So, my question is should I,

1. Sprinkle both yeasts dry

2. Rehydrate the Windsor, pour it in, then sprinkle the can yeast?

3. Some other variation??

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've learnt a heap from reading this forum.

2 hours ago, Geenbee said:

The Coopers recipe says to sprinkle both the Windsor yeast and the brew can yeast., which I'm assuming means adding both dry. But the Windsor packet says to rehydrate the yeast before use.

First time I made the PSA I rehydrated both and pitched.  Second batch I pitched both dry.  Result seemed the same.  So take your pick.  Rehydrating results in quicker start to fermentation.  Making a starter is even better.

But a funny thing with the second batch.  About a month after the initial bottle conditioning, it started to develop off flavours.  Withing two weeks the rest of the batch was not worth drinking.   This was the first time it happened.  And it has happened a couple of times since.  Aand I was wise to it so just drank those brews before they all went off.  I don't think it had anything to do with rehydrating as such, but probably an infection of some sort.  So I bought a new fermenter

13 hours ago, Geenbee said:

Hi everyone, apologies if I'm hijacking this thread, but it's a kind of related question. This is my first post, and I'm about to have a go at my second home brew... the Pacific Summer Ale. My question is regarding adding the yeast.

So, my question is should I,

1. Sprinkle both yeasts dry

2. Rehydrate the Windsor, pour it in, then sprinkle the can yeast?

3. Some other variation??

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've learnt a heap from reading this forum.

You can do all of the above. It will not have a big of an affect on the brew.   Personally I am not an ale yeast re-hydrator.  I know many here swear by it. Myself, I just add the yeast to the wort that is a few degrees above ferment temp then stick it in the brew fridge and bring it down to brew temp which with 23 litres will take several hours.