Coopers Community

M42 vs Nottingham

James Lao

Hi all,

I have pretty much used Nottingham for the last 2-3 years and was thinking of changing this up for my next brews.

My experiences with US05 weren't great, but wanted to try an "American" yeast and was thinking about M42, New World Strong Ale.

Anyone use this yeast and how does it compare to Nottingham?

I really like Nottingham for its consistent fast  fermentation and floccing abilities, but  fancy a bit of a change.

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao

12 hours ago, James Lao said:

Hi all,

I have pretty much used Nottingham for the last 2-3 years and was thinking of changing this up for my next brews.

My experiences with US05 weren't great, but wanted to try an "American" yeast and was thinking about M42, New World Strong Ale.

Anyone use this yeast and how does it compare to Nottingham?

I really like Nottingham for its consistent fast  fermentation and floccing abilities, but  fancy a bit of a change.

Cheers

James

I had read that M42 was actually the same strain.  I don't know if that's true but my casual observation says that it's certainly very similar to Nottingham in all regards.

To clarify my experiences with US05 were not bad a such..

I just didn't get good flocculation with it and it was a bit slow fermenting compared to Notty and S-04.

(Although now that I think of it, I wasn't making starters when I used it and didn't CC either)

No issues with flavour when I used it, but I have read it can throw phenol type flavours and I don't want to experience that in my beers.

I like a fast fermenting yeast that is a good floccer.

Still haven't ruled out US05 now that I make starters and  CC etc

Cheers

James

Yeah, I've never used M42, but my only ever failure in 105 batches was M44 so I have never used MJ since.

I use Nott in the winter and US05 for rest of year. My only reason for Nott in winter was I was having trouble with bottle carbonation in lower temps with US05. I keg now so use US05 always unless I want a different taste.

I use US05 for 3 generations harvested. Never had phenolics or other issues while I  ensure no chloramines get into the process, and I ferment at 18c, always.

Cheers

My experinces with US05 and Notts have been nothing but positive. Both have high Attenuation and floc well. My experince with MJ yeast however have not been as positive.  Have used M36 Liberty Bell a couple of times and will not give it a third chance and also used the M15 Empire Ale as well. Found both have low attenuation. The M15 finished at 1022 tried every thing i could to get it started again but bottled it after 14 days.  Had no issues with the flavours but just don't like what I consider is an unpredictable nature of those yeasts.  However, my son-in-law used MJ yeast all the time and swears by them, M42 is one he uses quite a bit and he has had no issues with it. 

2 hours ago, James Lao said:

Might do  a batch each of US05 and M42.

There is chlorine in my tap water (Perth northern suburbs), but no chloramines.

Think they only put chloramines in the pipeline to Kalgoorlie from Perth.

Cheers

James

Does your water come from that pipeline or somewhere else? Chlorine will simply boil off if you are doing AG. 

I had phenols with US-05 once but it had been reused a fair few times. When I used a fresh pack on the next batch there were no phenols. I haven't had much problem with it dropping out, even before I used isinglass. Probably a bit slower in a keg though. 

Pretty sure the water in the  northern suburbs of Perth  are chloramine free, just chlorinated.

Does chlorine evaporate during a ferment ?

I am back to doing  extract / can / stove top boils at the minute.

I have a carbon filter in the kitchen for drinking water, but have just been using normal tap water for my brews lately.

Might use the filtered water on the next batches especially with US05 if chlorinated water is an issue with it.

Cheers

James

Jury still out on US05 for me. Just tried it again in my first pale in months. Fermented fine, but just wouldn't drop and clear, like other beers and pales I've done. Bottled a 'muddy' brew. Couldn't CC as garage was dealing with a week of 40C temps last week. Not sure if that would have made much difference anyway, all my beers have noticeably cleared up before CC.

Edited by Lab Rat

22 minutes ago, James Lao said:

Pretty sure the water in the  northern suburbs of Perth  are chloramine free, just chlorinated.

Does chlorine evaporate during a ferment ?

I am back to doing  extract / can / stove top boils at the minute.

I have a carbon filter in the kitchen for drinking water, but have just been using normal tap water for my brews lately.

Might use the filtered water on the next batches especially with US05 if chlorinated water is an issue with it.

Cheers

James

It probably does, alternatively the water can be left stand overnight and it will evaporate out. You could boil it all but that would be a massive PITA. 

I don't think chloramines are problematic with specific yeast as such, it's probably more a concentration thing. I had plenty of batches with various yeasts all turn out fine without treating the water, until that one batch. I can't be certain it was chloramines that caused it but I figured it's easy enough to prevent before it's a problem so why not. 

I have been using US05 quite a bit lately, as it comes with the recipe packs I get, I like it. It works fine, ferments quickly and is clean. I also like M42 and most MJ yeasts, but they can be slow to start up sometimes. I also use M54 the cali common strain interchangeably with Nottingham as I think they both are clean fermenting, little phenol emitting yeasts.

I actually prefer M44 over M42 yeast but that is just me. My favorite yeast, or one of, is a combo of US05 and coopers ale/lager yeast. I did a batch and then saved the slurry then have reused it about 4 times, probably will go one more and then dump it. But it starts fast and is very clean. I have no idea if the US05 has taken over or the coopers strain but I like it. The first batch got the combo because I tossed in the US05 and decided that I wanted this to be a very clean ferment, so decided to overpitch and tossed in the coopers yeast, a la the mad fermentist.

One thing to consider is that the MJ yeasts are only 10g versus 11.5 I believe for US05. Not a huge issue, which can be addressed but still a factor.

Honestly, give the M42 a try. It should be niiiccceee.

9 hours ago, Worthog said:

Yeah, I've never used M42, but my only ever failure in 105 batches was M44 so I have never used MJ since.

M44 I don't rate, big lag times for me same as BRY whatever it is maybe?)

The other MJ yeasts are GREAT

11 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

M44 I don't rate, big lag times...

I've never used it for that very reason... too many people reporting long lag times as issue.  However, I did recently read a yeast comparison blog where the brewer split a batch four ways and fermented with M44, US05, BRY-97 and WLP001.  His mates did the blind tastings and interestingly M44 was the favourite.   😯

https://www.rebelbrewer.com/blog/yeast-experiment-american-session

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, Norris! said:

...... My favorite yeast, or one of, is a combo of US05 and coopers ale/lager yeast. I did a batch and then saved the slurry then have reused it about 4 times, probably will go one more and then dump it.... 

I totally agree @Norris!. I loved that combo, used them reharvested for a long time. I was very disappointed when I ran out of the Coopers ale/lager yeast to mix with US05.

The high attenuation and good floculation were evident, taste was crisp and neutral, and I could carbonate my bottles in winter (without going to Nottingham)

Cheers

Edited by Worthog
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Worthog said:

I totally agree @Norris!. I loved that combo, used them reharvested for a long time. I was very disappointed when I ran out of the Coopers ale/lager yeast to mix with US05.

The high attenuation and good floculation were evident, taste was crisp and neutral, and I could carbonate my bottles in winter (without going to Nottingham)

Cheers

Dude that is awesome. I love that combo, I will keep buying the cerveza kit so I always have some. Now I kind if what to mix it with the M42 and see what happens, maybe next cube.

What have you been brewing anyways, or have I missed your brewday posts.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Dude that is awesome. I love that combo, I will keep buying the cerveza kit so I always have some. Now I kind if what to mix it with the M42 and see what happens, maybe next cube.

What have you been brewing anyways, or have I missed your brewday posts.

Yeah, given my yeast preferences, I  have spent the last 18 months brewing AG pales, american pales and aussie sparkling ale styles.

I aim for 4.9% in winter with subdued hop, to 3.8% in summer with lots of hop flavour. I continue to mix and match hops to find my "brewing nirvana" for each season.

I got only a "good" in the local competition where I submitted an AmPale style (fermented with Nott due to winter), but it was a learning experience.

All that said, I might follow @Ben 10 and retry an M42 to see what happens.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Yeah, given my yeast preferences, I  have spent the last 18 months brewing AG pales, american pales and aussie sparkling ale styles.

I aim for 4.9% in winter with subdued hop, to 3.8% in summer with lots of hop flavour. I continue to mix and match hops to find my "brewing nirvana" for each season.

I got only a "good" in the local competition where I submitted an AmPale style (fermented with Nott due to winter), but it was a learning experience.

All that said, I might follow @Ben 10 and retry an M42 to see what happens.

Cheers

Brewing nirvana! Yeah I feel you, that is half the fun, but I do get stuck in a rut, because well, citra goes with everything.

• Like 3