Spursman

Faulty PET bottle caps

I started having a few bottles whose caps were either splitting around the perimeter or cracking in the centre. This naturally led to no carbonation and wasting the brew. Wondered if I was overtightening the bottles but my brew shop owner said not possible. Checked brews again yesterday and found 9 bottles affected. Went back to brew shop with some of the faulty tops and the owner confirmed that there is a faulty batch of caps in circulation . Replaced the brew mix and carb drops no charge.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spursman said:

I started having a few bottles whose caps were either splitting around the perimeter or cracking in the centre. This naturally led to no carbonation and wasting the brew. Wondered if I was overtightening the bottles but my brew shop owner said not possible. Checked brews again yesterday and found 9 bottles affected. Went back to brew shop with some of the faulty tops and the owner confirmed that there is a faulty batch of caps in circulation . Replaced the brew mix and carb drops no charge.

Never had an issue with tightening PET caps, even after multiple re-uses. I tighten them pretty firmly, too. You did alright with the shop owner. You've essentially got free beer!

That's the way to build and keep customers. One free kit and some bits is a lot smarter than having an argument about who's fault it might be.

5 hours ago, Spursman said:

Replaced the brew mix and carb drops no charge.

You should 'Name and Fame' the LHBS - sounds like you've got a good one so a little promo couldn't hurt him. 😄

• Like 2

I don’t bottle much as I keg, but I punted all my PET bottles & replaced them with Grolsch Style flip top largies, much better IMO 🍺

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Did you re-prime and re-cap the affected bottles? 

I did that, a Toucan stout which I don't normally do in plastic because I keep it for a year or more.

Reprimed it sat on the laundry floor for a couple of months, maintained pressure with same cap.

I was reluctant to drink it but it was fine and I still haven't got my Darwin award.

It is a good virtually free way to check a suspect cap/bottle and you can salvage the beer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Did you re-prime and re-cap the affected bottles?

I did try that with one carb drop but it produced a White Island type eruption and beer all over the floor! not impressed so abandoned that idea. 

Is there a way to re prime without the eruption. Don't know if it makes any difference but I  keep my carb drops in the fridge ( it's a Qld thing).

1 hour ago, Spursman said:

I did try that with one carb drop but it produced a White Island type eruption and beer all over the floor! not impressed so abandoned that idea. 

Is there a way to re prime without the eruption.

Work faster!  😁   It'd probably help to chill the beer first, though I've had to re-prime on the odd occasion and managed to get it done before there was any violent release of CO2.    Sounds like in your case there was still a a fair amount of CO2 dissolved in the beer. 

I am in the process of going to kegs and have a lot of PET bottles (including 30 new) and amber glass bottles available for free. I am on the Central Coast near Woy Woy. Pick up only.

So i took the advice about too much co2 causing an eruption when I added a carb drop. Didn't chill the existing brew but poured into a large jug from a height to release the co2. Added a carb drop to the bottle and (after a while) poured the brew back in. 

No eruption. Thanks to Blacksands for the advice..

Fingers crossed now!

Edited by Spursman
Incomplete

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Hopefully the oxygen that would have introduced doesn't cause any issues.

Pretty new to this so didn't know that was a potential problem. Do you recommend a different method for re-priming low/no carb brews?

Anything that avoids splashing the beer really. Chilling them down before opening and re priming would probably be a better method. Just let them warm up again afterwards obviously.