Coopers Community

Golden Crown Lager

keiths2

I have just put on a Golden Crown Lager Kit, which I believe is just new but I see the wort looks like it is an ale and not a lager, i.e. it looks pretty dark. Does anyone know if it is meant to be like that? I have had dark malts before for lager kits but that was a different manufacturer. I am letting it brew out to see if that makes it change colour but I am slightly concerned!!

Hello Keith, & welcome to the forum.

In a small concentrated form liquid malt extracts do look quite dark. Once you've mixed it into 23 litres though, you'll soon see how light it is.

Outside of that, what is the Best Before date on the tin? Malt extracts will darken with age.

Just be aware this kit comes with a true lager yeast & as such it is important to be able to ferment the beer down around 13°C or lower. If you don't have adequate temperature control you could end up with some off flavours caused by the yeast fermenting at higher than recommended temperatures.

Until you have adequate temperature control(s), best to stick with ale yeast fermented beer recipes as they are a little more forgiving at higher ferment temperatures.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:59 AM, keiths2 said:

I have just put on a Golden Crown Lager Kit, which I believe is just new but I see the wort looks like it is an ale and not a lager, i.e. it looks pretty dark. Does anyone know if it is meant to be like that? I have had dark malts before for lager kits but that was a different manufacturer. I am letting it brew out to see if that makes it change colour but I am slightly concerned!!

I did the Golden Crown Lager kit a little while ago. I added 2kg Pilsner/200g Carapils mash instead of LDM.  Also extra Saaz hops.  Used W34/70 yeast at 12°C.  Lagered in the garage over the winter months.

This is one of my best beers.  I hope yours goes well. 

• Like 2