Coopers Community

Balter Brewing bought by CUB

MitchellScott

There is a pattern in this industry. It's happened before and (hopefully) will happen again. 

Small independent brewers and wine makers make a position for themselves and the big corporations buy them out. Eventually the big guys own it all and the quality reverts, labels disappear as 'uneconomic' because they don't contribute much to the massive profits required of corporations and we find ourselves back with bland and unexciting offerings that are purely profit-driven.

Then people turn again to the small makers and they start to get popular & big business sees their market share threatened adn in they come again with the big bucks and start buying up the little guys.

Rinse and repeat...

(hopefully as in the little guys keep coming and we still get choice)

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how long CUB will let them remain true to their current model as mentioned in the press release from Balter.

”same crew, same ingredients, same packaging” Etc

balter ain’t bad but it’s not at the top of my shopping list at the bottelo but I hope they can maintain what their doing with out being fingered to roughly by “the man”

• Like 1

They really downplayed "independence". Funny that it regularly tops craft beer surveys. It's our local. Usually a nice stop on the way home from the surf. Don't expect that will change but the bitter taste is likely to increase.

• Like 1

Not keen on any of their beers, but plenty of others seem to be buying it.

Not sure if Little Creatures was ever the same once the brewing moved to Geelong with Lion. Hard to tell, it was a game changing beer in its time and palates were different. I know I don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

• Like 1

All of the beers have dipped who were bought out. Creatures , Feral , Pirate Life. You can’t blame them. They start from nothing. Build it up, become millionaires , spout the rhetoric that nothing Will change , keep their jobs and toe the company line. A Pirate life IPA now vs 3 years ago is night and day. A six pack was expensive yes at $30 /$5 a can. Now they have made them into a cube at $22. $5.50 a can 

corporate always wins but good on them for making a buck out of it