Coopers Community

Grain Mills

MitchellScott

Hi all.

Considering I'll be making the move to AG soon, and the fact that buying base grain in 25kg bags saves heeeaappss of $$, I will probably have to look into getting myself a grain mill.

Are the cheaper ones (on KegLand for example) any good or complete shit? I am not a massive brewer in the fact that I only really brew for myself so it won't get a huge workout (probably 1 brew a month on average). My batch sizes will be standard 23L batches.

Trying to keep costs as low as possible obviously but if the cheaper ones are shit or there is a big difference I'll just either bite the bullet and get a better one or speak with the LHBS about the best way to get them to crack it for me.

Cheers.

Can't comment on the cheaper ones as I've never used one. I've had my millmaster for 7 years and it's as good as new. It did require a roller replacement a few years ago but this was a known issue with the old rollers and there were a number of others who also got the replacement rollers, all free of charge. 

The new rollers are fluted rather than knurled, which supposedly gives a better crush, and I did notice a good reduction in flour once the new roller went in. Only one roller was replaced on mine so I have one knurled and one fluted but it works well. The new ones have both fluted. 

I'd recommend them but I can't really recommend something I haven't used, doesn't mean they're shit though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I’m in the same boat. I was going to buy a Mill Master which will be about $400 posted. That’s a heap of money so I was considering a 2 roller KegLand mill because I only brew every 6 weeks. 

Yeah that's exactly where I am at.

I'll probably just get the Malt Muncher from KegLand when I order my BrewZilla and hope for the best. $400 is crazy for me to spend on a mill IMO.

Thanks for the help lads.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

You buy it first and report back😂

I'll be getting the Brewzilla soon so will order it all at once.

Can't justify spending $400 on a Brewzilla then $400 on a mill lol. For $80 odd if it lasts a few years I'll be happy. I think as long as you look after it, it will probably last much longer. Ensuring when using a drill you aren't going overboard with speeds etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Lol, if you got 25kg of grain laying about and a way to mill it, your production magically tends to increase.

i got the $80 two roller from keg land. Goes good. 

Hey Mitch, are both rollers driven on that model? Or does it rely on the grain pushing against the other roller in order to spin it? 

Sounds like the general consensus is that the MaltMuncher does the job so I think I'll go with that. I have no doubt the other mill is much better but at the end of the day as long as I have cracked grains I am a happy man.

If I was doing more brews or 60L batches it may be a different story.

Wont be using the Brewzilla till probably next year so will update after I have it and have used it 🙂

• Like 3