Coopers Community

Lawns and Gardens

Beer Baron

Have a murraya hedge out the front. That shit grows quicker than a hops plant. I agree with BB2. There must be something in that part of the ground. Tipped oil or something that has severely altered the ph. Id dig it up and dig out some dirt. Replace the dirt with a bag of potting mix or garden soil and stick her back in.

• Like 1

Sounds like it to me too. If the grass was unaffected it may have just been because the roots didn't get deep enough to reach that area where the issue is. 

It's not likely to be poison unless it was a residual one, stuff like Roundup is non residual so it doesn't remain in the soil and affect new plants. 

• Like 2

I'd be hiring a scarifier (or whatever they call them these days) for de thatching that. Kikuyu is thick, would be bloody hard doing it by hand. My olds yard was mainly blue couch so a lot easier. 

I played a golf course years ago in Newcastle that had Kikuyu fairways. Beautiful to hit a golf ball off. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RepSpec said:

Backyard.

Mainly Kikuyu. Needs a thatch and a level, but it comes up pretty well when I cut it.

Got plans for the yard, but that may change...

PANO_20200229_143809_vr.thumb.jpg.49031600710a182dfa7a61dddfc4010b.jpg

If you've got a kid on the way there's probably not much you need to change here. Plenty of room for the little tike to run around in. Wonderful!
I'm curious as to what the brick square in the middle is? My daddy instinct says it's a tripping hazard for junior and will definitely get in the way of his/her backyard cricket pitch. 😉 

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

A pool is a great thing for 3-4 months around summer but he rest of the year, it's a money grave. I've often considered converting mine onto an in-ground green house. 🙂 

I use the in laws for about 6 months of the year and it doesn’t cost me a cent😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RepSpec said:

Would love to, but after 6 years of trying, we finally have a baby on the way!

So now its save, save, save.

I’ve considered returning my kids from where they come from. The money never ever ends....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

If you've got a kid on the way there's probably not much you need to change here. Plenty of room for the little tike to run around in. Wonderful!
I'm curious as to what the brick square in the middle is? My daddy instinct says it's a tripping hazard for junior and will definitely get in the way of his/her backyard cricket pitch. 😉 

Its a fireplace/firepit. Im undecided if it will stay or go.

Yeah the missus has a plan for a cubby somewhere, but im not too keen on that idea. I like the cricket pitch idea myself

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RepSpec said:

Yeah the missus has a plan for a cubby somewhere, but im not too keen on that idea. I like the cricket pitch idea myself

I look at what you have got as a blank canvas.  It can be whatever you want.  Congrat's on your news.  My only concern is that @MUZZY's tripping hazard has turned into a tripping into the fire pit hazard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I look at what you have got as a blank canvas.  It can be whatever you want.  Congrat's on your news.  My only concern is that @MUZZY's tripping hazard has turned into a tripping into the fire pit hazard.

Now I'm not so worried about the kid but the more accident prone, home brew drinking dad. 😄 

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RepSpec said:

If you're looking for a coercive excuse not to have a cubby house, just mention they're a breeding ground for Redbacks to the expectant mum. This, of course, could go two ways:
1. She'll agree a cubby is a stupid idea and won't put her baby at risk.
2. She'll make you clean it every second day to ensure there's no spiders.
Good luck, mate. 😄 

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd be hiring a scarifier (or whatever they call them these days) for de thatching that. Kikuyu is thick, would be bloody hard doing it by hand.

I recently cleared an area about 1.5m X 1.5m of Kikuyu to place a raised veg patch on. I mowed it first as low as the mower would go, then dug the rest out by hand. It would have been at least another 100mm deep of roots and runners. Bloody hard yakka.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I recently cleared an area about 1.5m X 1.5m of Kikuyu to place a raised veg patch on. I mowed it first as low as the mower would go, then dug the rest out by hand. It would have been at least another 100mm deep of roots and runners. Bloody hard yakka.

Yep.  I did this too.  For a vege patch.  The Kikuyu came back with a vengeance.  It seems to love harsh treatment.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep.  I did this too.  For a vege patch.  The Kikuyu came back with a vengeance.  It seems to love harsh treatment.

I know it's aggressive. I've put a strip of fake grass (approx. 300mm wide) around the perimeter of the raised vege patch. I'm hoping the lack of sun will stop it penetrating through. I have the Zero weeding wand on standby just in case. Fingers are crossed.

Furthermore, I'm pleased to announce that I'm expecting as well..... I dropped in some of those Aldi seeds last weekend and I've already got shoots appearing from the broccoli, cauliflower and spinach. Just waiting on lettuce to pull it's finger out.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Yep, hard yakka. But easier if you use a spade or shovel.

• Haha 2