Coopers Community

Lawns and Gardens

Beer Baron

i might share some pics of my lawn when i get my new phone going.

I have a lawn thats part Kikuyu and part Santa Anna (i seeded the whole lawn in santa, but the Kik is coming through)

I like to keep the lawns short and tidy (even if its not the best quality lawn in the street). It certainly helps having a tidy lawn, makes the rest of the street keep theirs tidy!

Last week after a mow, i pulled in the driveway and nearly took out my brick letter box as i was staring at my lawn!

• Haha 4

I can't even mow mine at the moment, stupid bloody rain has completely saturated the ground, and where there aren't puddles it's just squelchy. The front and footpath could be done though. The front is Sir Walter (yuck), and the footpath is some paspalum shit (even more yuck) that will never look good, with small bits of blue couch interspersed through it. I was thinking about going and nuking the whole footpath with Roundup then throwing some seeds down and seeing if I can't get something half decent to come out of it, but my previous experience with seeds hasn't been great. They never seem to get past the "shoot two blades up out of the ground" stage and actually start shooting out runners to form a proper lawn. Probably didn't give them long enough. 

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

This is mine now. The patches are dog pee areas, and the dirt to the left side actually fell through the bricks when it pissed down rain on Sunday morning. I'll eventually shovel it off. At least the grass is healthy...

20200213_103333.thumb.jpg.51ccb205252400c88f33acff851d8b8b.jpg

It’s looking great

• Like 1

Cheers. I'm letting it grow higher at the moment as well to encourage root growth, but all the rain is pretty effective at preventing any mowing anyway. When I do mow it I cut it higher than I normally would if it was properly established, and will probably keep that up through winter until spring/summer. Probably throw some fertiliser on it around April and August/September as well. 

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Cheers. I'm letting it grow higher at the moment as well to encourage root growth, but all the rain is pretty effective at preventing any mowing anyway. When I do mow it I cut it higher than I normally would if it was properly established, and will probably keep that up through winter until spring/summer. Probably throw some fertiliser on it around April and August/September as well. 

I really have to get a cylinder mower and get a decent lawn

You should be able to find one on gumtree or eBay or something. I've bought two off eBay, the first one is basically non functional now, something is wrong in the clutch and it's that old that parts aren't really available anymore. The second is my current one and working well. Also have a couple of old push ones although only one is at our house. 

When I was living there and looking after it, it certainly looked a lot better being cut with a cylinder mower instead of the usual rotary ones. And it should, at least when the blades are set up properly. 

• Like 1

The grass is looking much better this week!!

The hedge seems like it is growing daily. 

The top empty garden will have 3 standard iceberg roses and then some little ruby’s around the bottom. 

Soon I’ll get some charcoal pavers and do some garden borders. Quik Kerb is ridiculously expensive 

837315A4-3E9B-4EE6-A63C-F92F02F89868.jpeg

0F3B3F96-9926-4C4C-85C6-D15B1C956180.jpeg

• Like 2

Afterwards? It usually takes me about 3 or 4 beers to mow and trim hedges if they're being done that day. Mow the grass, have a beer, snip the edges, have a beer, start trimming the hedges, have a beer or two while the battery recharges (I think the second battery got wet recently, doesn't work anymore), finish hedges and cleanup, have a beer. 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Afterwards? It usually takes me about 3 or 4 beers to mow and trim hedges if they're being done that day. Mow the grass, have a beer, snip the edges, have a beer, start trimming the hedges, have a beer or two while the battery recharges (I think the second battery got wet recently, doesn't work anymore), finish hedges and cleanup, have a beer. 😂

I am unable to have prep beers or in between beers.

If I have one, that’s the end of everything for the afternoon.

• Haha 2

Didn't get any rain here. Nice sunny day for once which also helped with the roof panels actually producing a decent amount of power. I actually had to whipper snip the footpath before I mowed it because it was too long for the cylinder mower otherwise. Looks better cut nice and short though.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

MurrayaHedge.jpg

This is my Murraya hedge I planted many years ago out the front when I built my house. It's around 6 foot high & approx. 2 foot wide now. It flowers about 2-3 times a year & smells amazing when it does. The bees love it! My neighbour who is a real gardening buff loves the hedge that much he's semi-adopted it as his own & regularly hedge trims it up. I bought a hedge trimmer when it got large enough. I think I've used it twice in the last 6 years! LOL! Winning! 😁

You'll notice a bit of a baron patch in front of it that has had lawn there in the past. It's a bit of a problem area atm. because of the height of the hedge & a fairly high Ornamental pear tree just out of camera shot on the left, this area gets greatly reduced levels of direct sunlight. I've been taking note of the posts using this new American based "Tuff" lawn that a few of you guys are currently planting & using over in the eastern states with good results. I can't source it here locally in SA atm but will look into getting hold of some as it may be the solution to this little PITA problem area.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

My front lawn after a cut yesterday...and a bucket load of rain (se Melbourne)

It's a mix of Kik and Santa Anna. I seeded (half assed) the santa Anna a few years ago and it's finally looking good. Problem is only a single lane driveway, so I try not to park on it. 

I would like to put in another driveway, but is not on the top of fund spends at the moment

IMG_20200218_183629.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 11:44 AM, Beerlust said:

MurrayaHedge.jpg

This is my Murraya hedge I planted many years ago out the front when I built my house. It's around 6 foot high & approx. 2 foot wide now. It flowers about 2-3 times a year & smells amazing when it does. The bees love it! My neighbour who is a real gardening buff loves the hedge that much he's semi-adopted it as his own & regularly hedge trims it up. I bought a hedge trimmer when it got large enough. I think I've used it twice in the last 6 years! LOL! Winning! 😁

You'll notice a bit of a baron patch in front of it that has had lawn there in the past. It's a bit of a problem area atm. because of the height of the hedge & a fairly high Ornamental pear tree just out of camera shot on the left, this area gets greatly reduced levels of direct sunlight. I've been taking note of the posts using this new American based "Tuff" lawn that a few of you guys are currently planting & using over in the eastern states with good results. I can't source it here locally in SA atm but will look into getting hold of some as it may be the solution to this little PITA problem area.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It's probably also that the hedge and the pear tree take up more of the available water in the soil meaning the grass misses out on a fair bit. I notice it a lot here where trees are that the grass doesn't grow well, even if it's shade tolerant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1