Coopers Community

Lawns and Gardens

Beer Baron

14 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers Muzzy.  Good stuff mate. Tough Gig. And really support you mate. BB

Thanks, Burbs.

I'm sad but ok with things. Just disappointed Troy's troubles got the better of him before he could get better.

Appreciate your kindness. x

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks, Burbs. I'm sad but ok with things. Just disappointed Troy's troubles got the better of him before he could get better. Appreciate your kindness. x

Cheers Muzz. Not talking big here mate... but sometimes it just seems impossible to just find yer way back... and I guess the good thing is that sometimes...  that someone and somehow we can help to bring someone back... but in the meantime we need to work together for the best. Cheers Muzz. BB

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers Muzz. Not talking big here mate... but sometimes it just seems impossible to just find yer way back... and I guess the good thing is that sometimes...  that someone and somehow we can help to bring someone back... but in the meantime we need to work together for the best. Cheers Muzz. BB

So true, mate. As I mentioned earlier, Troy was well supported by a very loving family but his illness got him before he could get better.
The ridiculous thing about it all is he would be one of the most supportive people I know. He'd look out for family and friends but he couldn't help himself.
I'm sorry if this is a downer of a post. I'm not sorry if it makes us all more aware of mental health.
Peace.

• Thanks 2

Hey @MUZZY, sure it is sad brother.  But we need to talk about it.  The conversation could make a difference for somebody.

No matter how bad things seem our families and friends still love us.  They might not say so, but they think so.

Everyone has value.  If you have got some demons talk to somebody about it.  Your GP is a good confidential option or just a good mate who will listen.

I hope Troy's family is coping.  They might appreciate your kind words.

Stay well brother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2020 at 2:46 PM, Red devil 44 said:

When you were a Greenkeeper, that’s why I said it dude 🤣

We need @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey as Chief Greenkeeper at a sensible Bowlie that then also provides him with commercial Brewing Equipment, filtered water and ingredients to keep the Bowlie's-own-Brew-Brand percolating... I reckon I'd be a member of a place like that if I was within cooee!  ; )

With the Thursday aka Thirsty Night Bowling Brewer's meeting ; )

• Haha 2

I would consider going back to greenkeeping if it paid as good or better than my current job, but it just doesn't. Or if I was sacked for some reason. I kept in touch with one of the guys from Oxley, he did suggest at one point giving him a yell if I was ever thinking about going back to it, so it could be an option if I needed a job quickly.

I went for a hit at Oxley on Thursday with a mate of mine. Reasonable round considering where I'm at. Going around there does bring back a lot of memories though, mainly good ones of course 🤣

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I would consider going back to greenkeeping if it paid as good or better than my current job...

... and of course they would need to supply the Brewing Equipment and brewing resources!

Think of the Brew Card:

Oxley Otto Ale

Blotto's British Best Bitter

Five Iron Irish Red

Putters' Pilsener

... the opportunities are endless!?!

There'd be Beerlovers and thirsty Golfers flocking from near and far!    ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

224mm in the last 48 hours here. My grass is green and my water tank is full and has been overflowing most of the time. We are still forecast to have over 80mm today and another 80mm tomorrow. 

I have level 1 water restrictions starting on Monday. 

If I had cash I would get many many tanks down the side of my house to catch all of this water that is wasted going down the drain. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

wasted going down the drain. 

Well it is not really 'wasted' going down the drain BB1... as will contribute to the overall flow in the landscape...

But certainly wasted from the perspective of not becoming available for us brewers and gardeners later on fer sher ; )

Cheers

BB2

• Like 1

A perfect match?  Chainsaw and Axe and some fresh new seedlings to replace those harvested ?  😜

A mate picked the seed and raised these festive natives... they are now in the ground and we are having a little rain so good timing maybe?

image.png.7627b78d615c88a622fde5d864156661.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

374.5mm of rain over the last 4 days and I finally have green grass after it was about half brown and dead. I mowed today😂

My Murraya hedge on the side of the picture is growing great too

Whereabouts are you BB1 again?

Looking very positive on the lawn front mate : )

Cheers BB2

Mine has essentially recovered from those dry slabs now, even green across the yard aside from where the dog peed. Be nice if they didn't like going in the same spot all the fn time. It does recover from the smaller burns pretty fast though. The larger ones are still browned off but there are some green blades popping up again. 

I also sprayed some nutgrass and other weeds that were in it before all this rain started, and it looked like she'd peed everywhere on it, all little brown spots all over the lawn. It's already greened over those too, a week later. This stuff is like a bloody weed, they weren't wrong about its ability to recover from wear or whatever. I might get another picture next mow, whenever the hell that ends up being 😂

I trimmed the hedges a couple of weeks ago too and they're already needing it again. Weekend job if it's not too wet. It's been nice getting some decent rain but I'm also getting over it now. Starting to forget what the sun looks like up here.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Be nice if they didn't like going in the same spot all the fn time. 

I read somewhere that it's the nitrogen in dog pee that burns the grass. They recommended not fertilising the areas where the dog pees for that reason and to water the area to dilute the impact.

12 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I read somewhere that it's the nitrogen in dog pee that burns the grass. They recommended not fertilising the areas where the dog pees for that reason and to water the area to dilute the impact.

That is correct. If I'm home and see her do it I'll usually put a watering can full on the spot, but being at work or whatever it's not really possible most times. It is good that on the random spots that it recovers fast though 

• Like 1

I've posted on other threads about my memorial orange tree and planter boxes made from old pallets. Well, I got the tree in the ground about a week ago and with some leftover timber from the pallets I also smashed together a raised garden bed to try and grow some vegies.

I'm turning into a real Don Burke type.... except I haven't interfered with anyone inappropriately. 😉😂

IMG20200212105902.jpg

• Haha 1