Coopers Community

Lawns and Gardens

Beer Baron

On 11/30/2019 at 7:55 PM, Beer Baron said:

A before and after photo. The first photo is when I purchased my new house and as you can see the old lady didn’t do too much. 
The second photo is after plenty of love and care

FF655696-3D80-4438-8A90-85AD6157F541.jpeg

08C66192-82AD-4E31-9CBA-E5D100635A14.jpeg

You're doing great, it looks amazing! I hope you're proud of your lawn. 

On 1/13/2020 at 12:17 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

5 days later and the picket fence edging is done. I gave it a go on the day but the soil underneath was too dry and hard. With regular watering and the rain the other night it was nice and soft to get the spiked "palings" in, although I still used a star picket to "dig" holes deep enough to get them in comfortably. The drier slabs on that side are slowly getting greener too. I reckon another week or two and the whole area will look like the left side there. 

PSX_20200113_114245.thumb.jpg.1ca8d695b050cb483b74bc7cd2201dcb.jpg

Well, after nearly two weeks after laying it, it's certainly improved a lot. This was today after I gave it a mow again, it's been shooting up like a weed with this rain we've been getting the last week or so. That right hand side there has greened up nicely now, still more improvement to go but it will get there. There are a few small sections where it's slightly raised, which look browned because obviously the mower cut them shorter, but the heavy rollers on the mower are gradually levelling them out each time it's cut. I'll be doing some top dressing on it next spring as well to get it more levelled out. Overall though, really happy with how it's going, love the fine leaf texture and how hardy it is. I can see why it's used on sports fields. Stripes up nicely too. @Red devil 44 getting closer to Oxley golf course quality 😂

PICT0043.thumb.JPG.a24d31e78e8f3852f1e1acc34549f6ae.JPG

32 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well, after nearly two weeks after laying it, it's certainly improved a lot. This was today after I gave it a mow again, it's been shooting up like a weed with this rain we've been getting the last week or so. That right hand side there has greened up nicely now, still more improvement to go but it will get there. There are a few small sections where it's slightly raised, which look browned because obviously the mower cut them shorter, but the heavy rollers on the mower are gradually levelling them out each time it's cut. I'll be doing some top dressing on it next spring as well to get it more levelled out. Overall though, really happy with how it's going, love the fine leaf texture and how hardy it is. I can see why it's used on sports fields. Stripes up nicely too. @Red devil 44 getting closer to Oxley golf course quality 😂

PICT0043.thumb.JPG.a24d31e78e8f3852f1e1acc34549f6ae.JPG

Sure is mate 🤣🤣 Looking good 

• Like 1

It's pretty cool seeing improvement each day, but you don't really notice how much until it's compared against an earlier photo like that. Bit annoying with those little raised bits but as long as it's healthy as a whole it'll be fine. Once it's properly top dressed and levelled out properly those bits will disappear of course. 

I may actually delay doing that until my Xmas holidays again, just in case the dog decides to scratch at the patches of bare soil. At least that way I can be here most of the time to prevent that happening while the grass grows over them. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

16 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's pretty cool seeing improvement each day.

It's about as exciting as watching grass grow!!

*Sorry Kelsey, I need to share my jokes on multiple social media platforms.

Edited by Hairy
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

It's about as exciting as watching grass grow!!

*Sorry Kelsey, I need to share my jokes on multiple social media platforms.

Funny, you know I actually do like watching grass grow (if I don't have to mow it) but the terminology of watch = intermittent not constant ; )

34 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I love mowing

Festive ; )

I would say tho BB1 that mowing green grass is much more fun than mowing dead grass, weeds and sticks (but necessary to assist in firebreak type clean-ups).

I was coated from head to toe in fine dust... needed a tasty on-tap AG IPA after that I can tell yer!

; )

• Like 2

That was like our old place. Crappy grass, and half the front yard was sticks and rocks and whatever else. Dust a plenty too. Hated it, but here it's obviously much better, as it was at my parents house too. The front lawn here is a different type of grass but at least it is all grass, not sticks and dust. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Haha 1

Decided to do a blade sharpening/backlapping on the 45 reel mower earlier and gave it a test drive afterwards as the lawn was getting a bit long. These rains have made it really shoot up and also assisted it in increasing its coverage, looks much more even now. In the second picture you can see how clean the blades are cut, previously it was shearing them off not much different to a rotary mower. It looks patchy due to some high spots being cut shorter than the rest, however every cut they seem to not be as bad. 

I can improve the blade situation further than it is currently, so I'll do some more sharpening through the week or whenever I get a socket I can put in my drill driver, because it was a bit of a PITA turning the reel backwards by hand with a socket spanner. I may even take the bedknife off completely and resharpen its edge. 

PSX_20200125_170514.thumb.jpg.d1cd835c74a872dcc22871e14fba682b.jpg

PSX_20200125_165945.thumb.jpg.d6f7e81d51d3fd8e702750a101ede0e3.jpg

• Like 3

Please ignore the dilapidated state of my grass but this is my Troy tree. A Valencia orange tree that I'm planting in honour of my cousin, Troy, who at the age of 42 decided to end his own life on January 10. He was a father and husband and just a ripping bloke.

He liked Valencia oranges, so in the future if I get some fruit from this tree we'll remember Troy each time we eat them.

I hope anyone reading this who might be suffering can seek help and accept the help before doing something regrettable. Troy was a much loved and loving man. He had a lot of support but his demons still got the better of him.

I miss him like crazy. May he rest peacefully.

IMG20200125190452.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Decided to do a blade sharpening/backlapping on the 45 reel mower earlier and gave it a test drive afterwards as the lawn was getting a bit long. These rains have made it really shoot up and also assisted it in increasing its coverage, looks much more even now. In the second picture you can see how clean the blades are cut, previously it was shearing them off not much different to a rotary mower. It looks patchy due to some high spots being cut shorter than the rest, however every cut they seem to not be as bad. 

I can improve the blade situation further than it is currently, so I'll do some more sharpening through the week or whenever I get a socket I can put in my drill driver, because it was a bit of a PITA turning the reel backwards by hand with a socket spanner. I may even take the bedknife off completely and resharpen its edge. 

PSX_20200125_170514.thumb.jpg.d1cd835c74a872dcc22871e14fba682b.jpg

PSX_20200125_165945.thumb.jpg.d6f7e81d51d3fd8e702750a101ede0e3.jpg

You should be a Greenkeeper Otto 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Please ignore the dilapidated state of my grass but this is my Troy tree. A Valencia orange tree that I'm planting in honour of my cousin, Troy, who at the age of 42 decided to end his own life on January 10. He was a father and husband and just a ripping bloke.

He liked Valencia oranges, so in the future if I get some fruit from this tree we'll remember Troy each time we eat them.

I hope anyone reading this who might be suffering can seek help and accept the help before doing something regrettable. Troy was a much loved and loving man. He had a lot of support but his demons still got the better of him.

I miss him like crazy. May he rest peacefully.

IMG20200125190452.jpg

Cheers Muzzy.  Good stuff mate. Tough Gig. And really support you mate. BB