Coopers Community

Lawns and Gardens

Beer Baron

18 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

FF87D57F-C79F-4F08-A46F-457338E45427.jpeg

I went to see Leeds when they played the Wanderers at Parramatta Stadium, they are my brothers team, although I can’t boast about my team too much at the moment, Leeds choked last yr. We were born in Scarborough UK, when younger my brother used to go with my Uncle ( also a Leeds tragic )  to Elland Rd. My bother got to high five Bamford before the game in Sydney, he was stoked.

59 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I went to see Leeds when they played the Wanderers at Parramatta Stadium, they are my brothers team, although I can’t boast about my team too much at the moment, Leeds choked last yr. We were born in Scarborough UK, when younger my brother used to go with my Uncle ( also a Leeds tragic )  to Elland Rd. My bother got to high five Bamford before the game in Sydney, he was stoked.

Don’t remind me about last year. The pain will never go away. Hopefully they can make up for it this season. Christmas is always an important time and I think we will need to win 5 from 7 in December this year after we won all 6 last year. 
Im not a fan of Bamford at all. He looks lazy and his scoring record is crap

• 1 month later...

Redid ours today with a newish variety of Bermuda grass called TifTuf. Reminds me of the stuff used on the greens at the golf course I worked at but slightly coarser leaf. Nice and soft though. Now just to let it establish. The before photo is after we'd done some work but not much different to what it looked like anyway. There's also some white picket fence edging to go along the right hand side which I'll do in the coming days. 

PSX_20200108_143909.thumb.jpg.eb7423ce198279e806396d3a4a0b8712.jpg

PSX_20200108_144343.thumb.jpg.27aa23f6923f600cd4923962c0188c86.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Redid ours today with a newish variety of Bermuda grass called TifTuf. Reminds me of the stuff used on the greens at the golf course I worked at but slightly coarser leaf. Nice and soft though. Now just to let it establish. The before photo is after we'd done some work but not much different to what it looked like anyway. There's also some white picket fence edging to go along the right hand side which I'll do in the coming days. 

Looks good mate, stinker of a day here in SEQLD.  I’m building a mini pergola ( it’s gonna be a pool filter cover ), because I can’t find anything off the shelf so I’d rather build one anyway, but yeah it was damn hot, but waited until the sun went around the other side of the house, just relaxing with a nice cold home brew (  Pacific Ale ).

• Like 2

I didn't find it too bad but we had a number of "drinks breaks" 😂 Only took a few hours since the stupid dog had already done most of the work for us months ago. Kind of a good thing in a way, previously it was a mixture of Sir Walter (hate this shit), blue couch and some crap that just grew in tufts all over the place. Now it's a lovely fine leaf carpet like lawn. I'll be making sure it stays in top condition too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

All I read about is how good TifTuf is!!

I hope you have a cylinder mower ready to go. I will be interested in you thoughts once it gets going. 

5 days later and the picket fence edging is done. I gave it a go on the day but the soil underneath was too dry and hard. With regular watering and the rain the other night it was nice and soft to get the spiked "palings" in, although I still used a star picket to "dig" holes deep enough to get them in comfortably. The drier slabs on that side are slowly getting greener too. I reckon another week or two and the whole area will look like the left side there. 

PSX_20200113_114245.thumb.jpg.1ca8d695b050cb483b74bc7cd2201dcb.jpg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

5 days later and the picket fence edging is done. I gave it a go on the day but the soil underneath was too dry and hard. With regular watering and the rain the other night it was nice and soft to get the spiked "palings" in, although I still used a star picket to "dig" holes deep enough to get them in comfortably. The drier slabs on that side are slowly getting greener too. I reckon another week or two and the whole area will look like the left side there. 

PSX_20200113_114245.thumb.jpg.1ca8d695b050cb483b74bc7cd2201dcb.jpg

I would have to move that drainage pit from the middle of the yard. That would drive me bonkers

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

cute

Was the Mrs idea originally but I like it too 😂

16 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I would have to move that drainage pit from the middle of the yard. That would drive me bonkers

Yeah, I can understand that. I also can't be bothered trying to. I actually thought about simply turfing over it but decided against it. The whole thing was full of dirt thanks to the dogs running around like idiots/digging holes back before winter. That's what really ruined it and turned it all into dirt. But in a way that helped because we didn't have much existing grass left to get rid of, and it effed off most of that ugly clumping shit grass. 

Only one dog now, we rehomed the other one because he was too much with both of us working. Hard decision but a necessary one. The other dog is a lay around doing as little as possible type breed which is much better. Doesn't really dig or run around like a madman. This turf variety is hard wearing too so even if she does scratch it a bit, it should recover pretty quickly. I decided to do the turf now because I don't go back to work until the first week of February so I can be around most of the time to make sure she doesn't wreck it while it's establishing itself. 

• Like 1

I think the soil underneath is getting pretty soaked now, every time I water it and forget the sprinkler is on it forms small puddles on the lawn. I think now I'll just give it 20 minutes morning and evening just to keep the slabs hydrated, aside from when it rains of course. Still seeing daily improvement in those dead looking slabs though which is good. The excess three slabs I just threw on the edge of the driveway are greening up too. Been giving them a drink with the hand held spray gun thingy each day. 

Supposedly gonna rain later this arvo but whether it does or not remains to be seen. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I think the soil underneath is getting pretty soaked now, every time I water it and forget the sprinkler is on it forms small puddles on the lawn. I think now I'll just give it 20 minutes morning and evening just to keep the slabs hydrated, aside from when it rains of course. Still seeing daily improvement in those dead looking slabs though which is good. The excess three slabs I just threw on the edge of the driveway are greening up too. Been giving them a drink with the hand held spray gun thingy each day. 

Supposedly gonna rain later this arvo but whether it does or not remains to be seen. 

Get any rain on your turf mate ? We got a bit here in Ip Vegas.