Coopers Community

Labelling/marking bottles

Aussiekraut

How do you mark/label your bottles? 

I'm using multi coloured dots on the lids to mark batches and Dymo labels in the beer cupboard with the name of the beer and the bottling date as well as a corresponding dot. Because the problem is that there are only 5 colours available in the dots department, they get marked with a black dot or a cross or a circle if I'm running out of colours, so I can extend the range. So I will get a green dot, a green dot with a black dot on it, agreen one with a cross on it etc.  I don't want to write 30-60 labels for a batch of beer, which I then have to peel of all bottles (and get the shits if they rip and tear). The dots on the lid are easy to remove from the PET bottle lids and the crown seals get thrown out anyway. 

Just after simple and efficient ideas to make this better. 

Your way is as good as any.

I use Liquid Chalk Markers.  

fit?size=190x190&auth=MjA5OTcwODkwMg__

You can get them anywhere.  They write on glass but it wipes off with a damp cloth.  It also runs with condensation after you have put the bottle in the freezer for a chill.  They come in several colours (and may different prices).  

I get some images of the net I like and print them on fabric name badges. These come off without a problem. I only do a couple of sheets for when I load up the fridge or give beers away. I like to present them nicely, this is home crafted, not 'home brew'.

The Cherub labels are a favourite, shame the beer is complete crap. I've not sullied my rep by giving those away. I mix it with a bit of my Real Ale Crystal, which is a frankenbeer, and the result is tolerable quaffing. The Lightning label is Perth's blue boathouse on the Swan river foreshore, as a summer storm was about to hit. Probably been photoshopped but still a cool image.

20191123_164307_resized.thumb.jpg.9015286f186a815a52347946238d53fe.jpg

• Like 3

I tried Brewtracker for a while but found it too clunky. It's basically a spreadsheet with a GUI. I've been using Brew shop, but will probably shift to the IanH sheet and I can jsut numbe my brews. I prefer an app though as it's handy to keep on the phone and make notes as I do the brew.

@Aussiekraut, I use a white or a yellow dot on the lid depending on odd or even batch number. Then I pen on the dot, so;

APA-MG

Which means; Batch 99, Pale Ale, Mosaic and Galaxy, 4.5%ABV.

I can fit that onto a small dot, easier on the bigger dots that cover the whole flat part of the cap.

Cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Round label from Officeworks on a roll. Just write the brew initials on it. ASA is Australian Sparkling Ale.2FGA2 is 2 flags golden ale brew 2 etc. They fit perfectly on the PET lids.

I do the same,  but just changed it up, so one batch will have a dot, one has an X so i can re-use with other brews....I will admit at the moment, its a mix and match of dots and x's and I have no idea whats in any of them. Its a flawed system 😛 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fergy1987 said:

I do the same,  but just changed it up, so one batch will have a dot, one has an X so i can re-use with other brews....I will admit at the moment, its a mix and match of dots and x's and I have no idea whats in any of them. Its a flawed system 😛 

you need a whiteboard beside your storage with the symbols and a line beside that tells you what they are THIS time. Then when you reuse, scrub that part and put the new description.

19 hours ago, Popo said:

I just use a permanent marker to initial the bottle cap. 

This. Quick, simple and works. Can't be arsed doing anything more involved. A lot of my bottles still have the original labels on them, doesn't have to be pretty, as long as the beer is nice that's all that matters.

9 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

A lot of my bottles still have the original labels on them

As do mine. I used to soak the lot and the labels would come off.  Being on tank water these days, I just clean and sanitise the inside.

The labels above look pretty good. Well done fellas.

I recently made up a batch for a wedding gift and got some pretty schmick glossy labels made up online. They looked great but can't see myself doing anything other than marker on the cap for my own use.

Edited by Popo

20 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

fug16.jpg

Liquid chalk Marker.  Fuggles Ale bottle 16.   I don't know why I add the bottle number.  Just a habit.

I like this as I bottle the vast majority of my beer in stubbies and write on the lids

But every batch I tend to use 2 or 3 long necks. These end up on the bottle shelf of the beer cupboard.
If I marked them like this it would make it easier to find something to drink.
At the moment there are about 20 long necks all mixed up on that shelf. It really is pot luck.

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I do the same as @BlackSands. I only use Coopers PET bottles and I label the boxes only.  As most would concur, washing bottles is a chore enough without having to wash a label off as well.

Actually, the best glue to use if you are going to bother with home-printed labels is milk.  VERY easy to wash off!  I made a few labels up and attached with milk for a few give-away bottles of my first batch of red wine.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Never bothered. I just had each batch on its own shelf in the cupboard

And the solution to running out of shelves is, drink faster.  😄 

I'm tossing up between laser printer labels - not sure how easily  they come off - and plastic 'garden' labels to stick on the shelf in front of each batch. Those I can simply use a cloth to clean off the marker when a batch runs out.

If I can afford it, there are plastic labels for the bottle that can be printed on - so also washable.

But I do like the labels above with pics etc. Would be good for Xmas pressies and birthdays.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Actually, the best glue to use if you are going to bother with home-printed labels is milk.  VERY easy to wash off!  I made a few labels up and attached with milk for a few give-away bottles of my first batch of red wine.    

Fabric labels. Put them on, peel them off, nothing left behind.