Coopers Community

Quick Question Mid Strength: 500g of Dry Malt = what reduction in ABV

Marty_G

Hi Guys, I have to start brewing mid strength beers and was just wondering how much will the ABV reduce in my existing recipes when I use 500g of dry malt rather than the kilo 1kg Dry malt I currently use.  For example a brew that was 4.4% ABV with 1kg of Malt will be ?ABV with 500g Dry Malt.   Also if my beers lose a bit of body with the reduction will adding 200g crystal Malt boil to the brew increase body and would I have to reduce the 500g malt further to maintain the same ABV reduction.   Gee I hope that all makes sense. 

Thanks in advance guys, i have been searching the forums for a while to try to find a previous topic like this but no joy. 

Try and get hold of the Ian H spreadsheet on AHB forum.

it is excellent for extract brewing.

Predicting ABV, IBUs etc.

A bit of extra crystal mightn’t hurt it I spose.

Think you have to be a member of AHB though, but that’s no big deal joining .

I would have a look but it’s on my laptop and I can’t get to it at the minute.

Cheers

James

5 minutes ago, James Lao said:

Try and get hold of the Ian H spreadsheet on AHB forum.

I have Ian's spreadsheet and I actually think it is pretty useless, sorry to Ian. Unless i have an old version that doesn't function properly on my 2019 office version. 

16 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I've attached the latest(?) version of IanH's SS.

Thanks will see if this works better.   Yep looks like that is working better than the other version I had. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Thanks will see if this works better. 

I run LibreOffice on Linux Mint v19 - some of the macros don't work properly but the Lookup functions do. As the Save Recipe doesn't work, I just save a different SS for each thing I'm trying.

It depends on the volume of the brew of course.  

At 23 litres one can of extract (any style) produces brew at 2.7% (2 drops per bottle)
One Can of extract and 500g of Light Dry Malt  produces brew at 3.6% (2 drops per bottle)
One Can of extract and 1000g of Light Dry Malt  produces brew at 4.5% (2 drops per bottle)

It is actually written on the box  (at least it is for BE2 - I don't have any LDM on hand).

Note :   Results for LDM may be slightly higher given the unfermentable portionod Maltodextrin in BE2. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @MartyG1525230263

The Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet could help you out too.  Just released a new version with the recent ROTM added.  Sort the recipes by ABV to get some ideas.

Cheers Shamus

Yep have been onto that before i started the thread!  The info was more for my own knowledge bank.  I just wanted to know what the adjustment would be. I know it also depends on the yeast as well but a ball park of about 0.75% will work at treat for my situation.  I will just reduce the malt content by 500g for any recipes used.    

So do I, but I do use BE2/3 for mid strength beers.  My LHBS makes up his own 'Head and Body Improver'  but is more expensive that the Cooper's box.  His LDM is cheaper though.

Reducing the volume to a 20 litre brew will increase the quoted ABV by 0.5% using 500g of LDM (compared to a 23 litre brew) and you wont be mid strength anymore.  

The reason I mention this is that 23 litre brews with 500g of dry malt can be a bit 'thin' and my instinctive response is to lower the brew volume but that forces the ABV up and that defeats the purpose of only using 500g in the first place, 

It is a question of personal taste but when brewing mid strength I prefer to use a maltodextrin/dextrose/malt blend (like BE2 or BE3) just because it adds body to the beer without lifting the ABV as much as a straight malt or dextrose addition.  (by about 0.2%, 500g in 23 litres).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

It is a question of personal taste but when brewing mid strength I prefer to use a maltodextrin/dextrose/malt blend (like BE2 or BE3) just because it adds body to the beer without lifting the ABV as much as a straight malt or dextrose addition.  (by about 0.2%, 500g in 23 litres).

Thanks for the info. It is something I will try but I think I will do a 250 g Crystal Malt steep to alleviate loss of body first.  Now that i have a fully functioning copy of IanH's spreadsheet I will have a play around with volumes, malts and grains to try to get the ABV for the volume I need.  

• Like 1