Coopers Community

Brew Fridge

supernerdy

1 minute ago, supernerdy said:

Hey guys,

So its been a while and its now getting hot. I need a brew fridge what do you guys look for and suggest ? I have seen cheap fridges on here before but never lucky enough to find one for myself

Yeah, just an old fridge or freezer will do. Apparently chest freezers are good because they keep the cold air in when you open the lid and are cooling faster than a fridge, so I am told. I have two fridges which I was lucky enough to not having to buy. We replaced the kitchen fridge and the drinks fridge with a bigger one and now these two are equipped with a temperature controller doing their brewing duties 🙂

Check Gumtree or and there are lots of buy swap and sell groups on Facebook. Some people are happy to see them go 🙂 

• Like 1

This is my all-fridge fridge - $30 on a local buy,swap,sell FB page. 370L size and those are my 2 tallest FV's in there. I've taken out the bottom bar and plan to use plywood on the shelf for extra strength for when the FV is full.

Note 1 issue with both in there, it is difficult to add in liquid - no room to pour properly. Still thinking about whether I need to work out a fix or whether I just remove the FV for any additions like hops tea.

Also bottom one is a bit difficult to get a sample for the hydrometer read.

Fermenting Fridge.jpg

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Swap them over, ditch the airlock, leave the krausen kollar out of the other one and you could put a ply shelf in the bottom as well, making it easier to get samples. 

The pic was just after I got it, which is why the krausen is on there. I was seeing what the max requirement is.

I'll have to work out a plug for the airlock that will not blow under pressure I guess. Or would I just leave the lid not screwed tight?

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

The pic was just after I got it, which is why the krausen is on there. I was seeing what the max requirement is.

I'll have to work out a plug for the airlock that will not blow under pressure I guess. Or would I just leave the lid not screwed tight?

tape over the hole and yes, keep the lit a little less tight, so gas can get out. Should be fine. No different really to the Coopers FVs.

• Thanks 1