Coopers Community

Red neck Rasberry wheat beer

Mikes15

Just bottled my Red neck rasberry wheat beer,

Like most brews, cant get the coopers special beer kits in NZ (nor it seams pink boots hops at all) for a reasonable price so this is my cheap arse red neck version,

1x 250g crystal malt
1x 1.7kg Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat
1x 1kg Mangrove Jacks Wheat Unhopped Dry Spray Malt
5x Strawberry & rasberry tea bags
5g Mosaic
5g Simco
5g Citra
5g Palisade
5g Loral
1x S-O5
0.5x kit yeast

The glass left over from bottling is pretty dam good, if not possibly the best wheat beer Ive made.

image.thumb.png.c092492deaf9f0956fde042aa0c7ec61.png

Edited by Mikes15
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Pink boots is a limited release blend available to commercial breweries, you probably won't get it anywhere. However, details of some of the hops in it are out there which it looks like you did find. Obviously pure guesswork as to the percentages of them in the blend 😜

Hops are the ones listed in the recipe, figured with a total hop bill of 25g & 5 hops listed it really wasn't worth even thinking about blend ratio🤣s

14 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

How much raspberry comes through? Could throw frozen raspberries straight in next time for a real kick 🙂 

its def there but its certainly faint, just like the colour, I can see the red / purple taint but dont think you'd realize if you didn't know, see how it conditions.

Not sure you'd want to much more sour fruit, it would clash with the sweet / bananary flavours, seems its definably a well thought out brew in terms of flavour balance.

• 4 weeks later...

Jurys out on this one,

Its got a dry taste / after taste, a bit like black tea, there's raspberry in there but not much else in stand out flavour.

Hasn't gassed well, not smooth like my other Wheat beers, closer to (but not) fizzy, find I have to degas it in the glass or let it sit in a jug for 15-20mins.

Might be an imperfect brew or just the way pouring tea & tea bags into beer effects it.