Coopers Community

Microbrewery Recommendations

kmar92

Having bought a Grainfather I now wish I had got the Brewzilla or the Guten.  The app and controller that comes with the Grainfather is its biggest selling point.  However, the app is as buggy as.  In five sessions I have not had an incident free brew day so far.

I suppose I should harden up.  You blokes with BIAB urns and the like have to manually do everything.  My Grainfather with the dodgy app is about equivalent.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Having bought a Grainfather I now wish I had got the Brewzilla or the Guten.  The app and controller that comes with the Grainfather is its biggest selling point.  However, the app is as buggy as.  In five sessions I have not had an incident free brew day so far.

I suppose I should harden up.  You blokes with BIAB urns and the like have to manually do everything.  My Grainfather with the dodgy app is about equivalent.

I have the original controller. No app; manual application.

Never had a problem with it and still going strong. They should have just stuck with that one.

29 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I have the original controller. No app; manual application.

Never had a problem with it and still going strong. They should have just stuck with that one.

I would probably be happier if I just went manual with mine too.  Except I am too disorganised.  It sounds like there was an earlier app that worked really well, but that was changed a while ago and has never performed to the same standard as the old one.

The app has had at least as many updates as I have done brews with it and each time the issue has been different.  When it has worked though, it has made me feel much more in control of the brew day.  If it worked well through the whole process it would have been worth every cent of the extra cost for it.  Overcomes a lot of that nervous excitement that @PaddyBrew2 and @Aussiekraut refer to.  Just wish it worked better.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 9:42 PM, kmar92 said:

OK all you all grain brewers, what thoughts do you have on the various microbreweries available here in Aus?

Guten, Grainfather, BrewZilla, Braumeister  and others.

Any recommendations?

Horses for courses, what are trying to achieve in terms of home brewing? 

What are you doing now and what to you hope to achieve by using a all grain microbrewery?

I have a crown urn and do BIAB. Simple, doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the other units but still produces great beer if good process is used.

Re the grainfather thing, it reminds me of work. They keep bringing in all these "upgrades" and "improvements" but all they've achieved is to make things less enjoyable and more difficult. Should have just left things the way they were.

• Like 2

I love my urn too. Easy, simply, only got one dial to not work.

The older I’m getting the more I look at stuff that has moving parts or lcd or flash things that probably aren’t needed but “make it easier” and I think, that’s just more stuff to go wrong with it that I can’t fix myself. 
The urn is super simple, it does have some drawbacks such as higher gravity brews but your still in control of the whole process. For higher gravity IPAs I’ve dropped the batch size which means I can get up to 7% easily. The hop absorption does get up there in these types of brews though and struggle to fill a 19lt keg. 

Now that I’ve had my urn for a number of years I’m going to be getting a 3v system. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kmar92 said:

KnK but I would like to do more to allow me greater control and more consistent results.

Go low tech (Big Pot/Urn, Esky & a few other bits) to understand the all grain brewing process.

You don't need much & might help you with your decision making process to buy a micro??

Let us know how you go?