lamensterms

Re-use Hop Sock After Dry Hopping?

Hey guys, 

Got a nylon hop sock that I'm using brand new for dry hopping... Would you guys clean and re-use? 

Anyone use them and do the hop flavour chunklets wash out OK? 

Eyyyy

• Like 1

I’ve moved to a chux for dry hopping. Can just toss the bastard out after. I was using a sock and I think it was the cause of some weird flavours after a few uses. Pain in the arse to clean too

• Like 1

I rinse under hot water and get all the gunk out. Then I chuck in a quick 40’degree wash with just star san and she’s good to go

im no tree hugger but we need to reuse more people. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I rinse under hot water and get all the gunk out. Then I chuck in a quick 40’degree wash with just star san and she’s good to go

im no tree hugger but we need to reuse more people. 

+1. Use hop socks in the boil and also in the dry hop. Quick wash with a couple of spoons of napisan or di san and they are good to go. I find i get about a year of use out of them before they start to fall apart. 

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Is this taking the piss? It'd be pretty expensive buying a new one every brew 😂

Mainly meant do peeps just use them in the boil. 

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

commando.

Except for NEIPA

Same lately dude, do you have a limit? Wasn't sure iff 100g was too much for commando

15 hours ago, lamensterms said:

Hey guys, 

Got a nylon hop sock that I'm using brand new for dry hopping... Would you guys clean and re-use? 

Anyone use them and do the hop flavour chunklets wash out OK? 

Eyyyy

Use them in boil and for dry hopping. After use, they get a good rinse, a soak in sodium percarb and before use, a spray with stallarsan. I also use them inside out, so all the seams are on the outside and no hop matter gets caught in them. 

I've been re-using mine for about 9 months now with no problems.

I give it a quick boil before using it or use Stellasan to sanitise it. 

Sometimes I find it goes a slightly dark yellow (probably from the beer) colour after a few brews but a quick soak in sodium perc fixes that problem.

• Like 1

Yes, Boil and clean before first use. Then clean and sanitise after and before each brew. Using mine for my third brew now.

Edited by Abbot-67

On 11/9/2019 at 3:46 PM, Ben 10 said:

commando.

Except for NEIPA

Hey mate.  Do you wring the hop sock to release the goodness or do you leave it due to chance of oxidisation getting in due to splashing. I have two hop socks in mine, holding 150gms of hops. On one hand I want as much hop goodness as possible but on the other I don’t want to introduce oxygen 

42 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Hey mate.  Do you wring the hop sock

I squeezed the chuxxxxxx

• Thanks 1

same way as normal.

Purge keg with CO2, transfer hose from the FV to the bottom of the keg

17 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Hey mate.  Do you wring the hop sock to release the goodness or do you leave it due to chance of oxidisation getting in due to splashing. I have two hop socks in mine, holding 150gms of hops. On one hand I want as much hop goodness as possible but on the other I don’t want to introduce oxygen 

Bit of starsan sprayed on the hands, and then squeeze it. 150gm is a lot of hop and there's plenty of juice in the bag. Gotta get your money's worth. If it's too much hop, then you buy less and save next time. I've always got nice results with big dry hopping.

• Like 1

Totally agree but my concerns are with introducing oxygen. You have some NEIPA brewers with devices and processes aimed at the reduction of oxygen , even NASA wouldn’t get a look in. I’m a relative newbie and I think it’s overkill. I’m gonna squeeze and I’m gonna syphon as normal from vessel to keg via a long tube inserted into the keg open and see how it goes. It’s only me drinking it anyway 

Edited by PaddyBrew2

I'm a simple brewer paddy, I'm with your instincts here. I don't worry about thing like oxygen and it doesn't seem to have worried about me or my beer. I've squeezed all my dry hops and can't report any bad news.

If a beer has been disappointing, it's been down to objective, measurable things, like leaving out a key ingredient, or adding one that shouldn't have been there.

• Like 1

As long as you don't throw and splash the beer around carelessly you shouldn't have any problems. 

I would like to try a closed transfer but so far I've just been putting the transfer hose from the FV tap into the bottom of the open keg and slowly filling it. The keg is filled with CO2 first but it probably gets a bit stirred up when it's opened and the hose is placed in there. No issues in 4 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

As long as you don't throw and splash the beer around carelessly you shouldn't have any problems. 

I would like to try a closed transfer but so far I've just been putting the transfer hose from the FV tap into the bottom of the open keg and slowly filling it. The keg is filled with CO2 first but it probably gets a bit stirred up when it's opened and the hose is placed in there. No issues in 4 years.

You fill your keg with C02 before filling?

I don't even do that - hose to the bottom, fill, and purge straight away 4 times at 40PSI. Seems to be fine.

Yes. I figure it's better than nothing, obviously the pressure is relieved before the lid is removed. I usually purge at whatever pressure the regulator is at at the time, which is usually serving pressure. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1