Coopers Community

Pan Handle Caramel Cream Ale

Hi All,

I’m new at this so these questions might sound silly to most. I am waiting to bottle my Pan Handle Caramel Ale and was wondering if anyone on here every made it, the problem is that the OG was 1070 and this is the 10th day of fermentation and I have checked the FG twice now ( a day apart ) and my FG reading is 1036. The recipe says that it should be between 1020 - 1025, can I bottle this now or should I wait to see if it drops any lower? I followed the recipe to a T and it has been fermenting in a temperature controlled fridge a 18 degrees. Any help would be appropriated.  

Thanks

•  

Thanks for your advise guys. I took it out of the fridge this morning ready to bottle and the temperature did go up to 20 degrees and it started to bubble again. When I took the lid off quickly this morning it has this brown floating stuff on top, not much. I use the yeast S-04 . 10 grams when the recipe say use 11grams . I’m not sure what you mean by big beer. Sorry

4 minutes ago, Sandman1525230245 said:

Thanks for your advise guys. I took it out of the fridge this morning ready to bottle and the temperature did go up to 20 degrees and it started to bubble again. When I took the lid off quickly this morning it has this brown floating stuff on top, not much. I use the yeast S-04 . 10 grams when the recipe say use 11grams . I’m not sure what you mean by big beer. Sorry

I meant it has a high original gravity so it is important to pitch the correct amount of yeast.

S-04 has a tendency to stall if it gets to cold. Keep it around 20 degrees for a while and see if it starts fermenting again. If not you may wish to pitch some more yeast. Do you have yeast that came with the beer kit?

15 minutes ago, Sandman1525230245 said:

Gday Hairy, yes I do still have the yeast that came with the can.

If you need to, rehydrate that yeast in about 100ml of water around 35 degrees. Sprinkle it in the water and leave it for 15 minutes. Then give it a stir and leave it for 5 minutes or so.  Bring it back down to the same temperature as the wort in the FV and pour it in.

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

It is a big beer. What was the volume and how much yeast did you pitch?

It sounds like it has stalled and not fermented out.

The recipe doesn't call for an extra yeast, but with nearly a kg of lactose they probably should? I've done a kit and a liquid can many times with only the kit or after-market yeast, so the lactose must be a factor. I'd be thinking the S04 has struggled as well. It's stalled on me whenever I used it and upping the temp didn't always get it going.

Edited by Lab Rat

5 hours ago, Sandman1525230245 said:

So will it be ok if I add the coopers yeast ( hydrated )?

Chucking in the rehydrated kit yeast will not hurt anything.  At worst it will do nothing.  At best it will kick start fermentation and get you down a bit further.

The lactose is virtually non-fermentable.  It contributes about 17-18 points of gravity, that does not go away.  Hence the suggested FG of 1.020 - 1.025.  The extra points are the unfermented malts that the yeast just cannot ferment out.  Yeasts, on average only get through (or attenuate) 75% of the fermentables, assuming you have enough yeast and it does not stall.  For example, a typical wort with an Original Gravity of 1.040 will get down to about 1.010 (75% of 40 points are converted).

Lactose is not as sweet as the same amount of sugar, but still leaves a sweetness to the beer, that as I said, does not go away.  Hence the Caramel description in the name.

I once did the Pavlova Pale Ale with double the amount of lactose (accidentally).  It was still a fair beer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sandman1525230245 said:

I use the yeast S-04 . 10 grams when the recipe say use 11grams .

Fermentis yeasts come in 11.5g packets. However for this beer I would have actually used at least two packets i.e. 23g or perhaps the S-04 AND the kit yeast.    I think that's the problem here - it's an underpitch and hence the yeast is struggling.     So, yeah try more yeast... it's rather late in the game but may help.  

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

However for this beer I would have actually used at least two packets

Why? Two cans of extract as the fermentables with 200g of crystal. S-04 can crap out if not treated properly. 18°c seems to be a little too low for this yeast.

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Why? Two cans of extract as the fermentables with 200g of crystal. S-04 can crap out if not treated properly. 18°c seems to be a little too low for this yeast.

OP said OG=1.070.  Though now that I think about it, even if it's a 20 litre batch, and a chunk of that is lactose that OG does sound rather high?   🤔

Edited by BlackSands

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Lactose will push the OG but it won't ferment.

Yeah... I get that, but doing the numbers this brew should have actually landed at around 1.060-ish.  The fermentable portion equates to around 1.050 which is what I usually consider to be the "two packets of yeast threshold" - just to be safe....  

Thanks for all your advise guys, I took a sample to East Maitland brew shop to see what I could do. He said it taste very sweet and said it had to ferment more, I told him I added more yeast last night and he was happy with that, he gave me the same advice that you guys have and now I will just check the FG in a couple of days. I think my problem from the OG was that I didn’t tip out the first part when testing and then refill. So i have added more yeast, the temp is now 20 degrees and happy to say that it is bubbling away again. Thanks again and knowing me I will be on here wanting to know more about everything to do with brewing my own beer. LEGENDS 👍🏻

Edited by Sandman1525230245
  • Like 2