Coopers Community

What is a your Next Purchase?

Beer Baron

Ah !!! I did not know that. I’ve come to understand and appreciate the conservation of water since I’ve moved here. Back home you wouldn’t blink an eye when it comes to wasting it cos it rains ten months a year and is free 

Edited by PaddyBrew2

Want to buy some bulk hops from brewman so I have some on hand as I am running low

Looking at 4 of the 225g packs. What would you suggest would be a good mix to have?

I'm thinking Citra, Simcoe, Centennial and maybe Cascade or Amarillo (not sure which yet)

Based on what they have available, what would you grab? Not sure if the above are all just a bit too similar.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, Beer Baron said:

It looks like my grain mill purchase will be pushed back to buy this. 
I’ll make a keezer out of this but I’m not sure if I’ll make a wooden collar or get a big font to go on top. I wouldn’t mind painting it black but I’m no painter

From posts I have seen, the main thing against a big font on top of a chest freezer appears to be how awkward it makes lifting the lid. I wondered if it might it be possible to take the font out the side so the tap can be turned to line up parallel to the side of the freezer so the lid can be easily lifted to give full access?

Or if they can't be turned once installed, have an offset tap and beer tray to one side, braced to the freezer for support?

Edited by Journeyman

14 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

From posts I have seen, the main thing against a big font on top of a chest freezer appears to be how awkward it makes lifting the lid. I wondered if it might it be possible to take the font out the side so the tap can be turned to line up parallel to the side of the freezer so the lid can be easily lifted to give full access?

Or if they can't be turned once installed, have an offset tap and beer tray to one side, braced to the freezer for support?

Why would you want to put a font on a chest freezer anyway, regardless of its position ?
You would need a fan to cool the tower, more money & electricity ?

Timber collar with taps drilled in is the way to go, my taps are at the front with large English style wooden handles, if I need access to my keezer or change a keg etc, simply unscrew the handles allowing me easy access, or I just access from the sides, mine is on wheels so I can move it to get access pretty much. 
‘My drip tray is mounted at the front but allows easy removal for cleaning, hosing out and refitting. 
‘I don’t require a cooling fan in my keezer because it’s a direct pull straight out, no temp change in the beer as it travels through the delivery tube to the tap. 
I used Tassie Oak on my collar and double lined it then insulated inside, no warping or temp loss at all.

Hope this info helps 🍺

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Why would you want to put a font on a chest freezer anyway, regardless of its position ?
You would need a fan to cool the tower, more money & electricity ?

Timber collar with taps drilled in is the way to go, my taps are at the front with large English style wooden handles, if I need access to my keezer or change a keg etc, simply unscrew the handles allowing me easy access, or I just access from the sides, mine is on wheels so I can move it to get access pretty much. 
‘My drip tray is mounted at the front but allows easy removal for cleaning, hosing out and refitting. 
‘I don’t require a cooling fan in my keezer because it’s a direct pull straight out, no temp change in the beer as it travels through the delivery tube to the tap. 
I used Tassie Oak on my collar and double lined it then insulated inside, no warping or temp loss at all.

Hope this info helps 🍺

I have read about the differences with collar - the reason for the font was to raise the tap level - 1 because some people have crook backs meaning stooping to pour is a bad idea & 2 because taps on a freezer are often in reach of kids or can be knocked and drain kegs.

I'm a long way from keezer or kegerator - I was just curious if the top was the only choice for a freezer.

Does your collar replace the lid and have the lid bolted on top of it or is it a surround type with the interior large enough to allow the lid to lift while it is on?