Coopers Community

Getting serious about Brews

Journeyman

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My work here is done.

Make sure you give much thanks to your SWMBO.

I was looking at second hand fridges and freezers the other day and my SWMBO said she would rather I got a new one due to safety and power usage.  Is that approval to get one?

Safety? Mine's about 60 odd years old and hasn't burnt the house down yet 😜 they don't use much power anyway being off the majority of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Safety? Mine's about 60 odd years old and hasn't burnt the house down yet 😜 they don't use much power anyway being off the majority of the time. 

On behalf of Shamus... What the HELL are you doing? He's got a chance to get new equipment - we should stick together on such things. 😄"

On the control front, it may not matter now I'm getting the Inkbird but the test of fridge came in at between 2 and 2.5 hours to gain 2° then 2 minutes fridge on to lose it. There was a definite correlation between warming rate and difference to ambient temps. i.e the rise from 9 to 15 took a bit over 2 hours while the rise from 15.9 to 17.8 also took 2 hours.

So I tested then the time to drop the temps - 2 minutes on drops it 2° over about 5 minutes and it then sits a while then starts climbing again at the latter rate, 2° in 2 hours.  I was going to open the fridge to get it to ambient (about 20 or so in the garage) but Shamus posted about the 310T and I kinda abandoned the experiment. 😄

I'm just trying to save a fellow brewer some money by not having to buy a brand new fridge, because it's really not necessary 😜. My old one was just sitting around at the olds, the second one is the old kitchen fridge, I took it when it was replaced with a new one. 

It doesn't really matter how long it takes the fridge to heat and cool the ambient air inside it, so it's rather useless data. What matters is how long it takes a brew itself to do this because this is what we are measuring and controlling. You'd be better off sticking an FV full of water in there and measuring that. It won't be quite the same as a fermentation since it won't generate its own heat, but it will be far more useful data than the ambient air.

I've noted in the past during active fermentation in my fridge that from fermentation temp it takes about 14 minutes to rise the 0.3 degrees I allow before the fridge turns on again, then it takes about 6-7 minutes to drop it back to the set temperature. I wouldn't have any idea what the ambient temperature in the fridge is, but as long as my brew is where I want it that's the important thing. The heating time is increased when fermentation dies down. Other setups will vary but they'll probably all be pretty similar to that. Once I get the second one going I'll see what its times are in comparison. 

Any fridge that takes two hours to warm up by only a couple of degrees must have a shitload of insulation. They usually warm up a lot quicker than that, but of course it obviously depends on the outside temperature as well, and how different that is to whatever the fridge is running at, and how much stuff is inside it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm just trying to save a fellow brewer some money by not having to buy a brand new fridge, because it's really not necessary 😜.

Kelsey, Kelsey, Kelsey. At least coach him in the correct manner.

@Shamus O'Sean Buy the cheap fridge, say you bought the new one, put the cash in your kick for future brewing ingredients and everyone’s happy 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Kelsey, Kelsey, Kelsey. At least coach him in the correct manner.

@Shamus O'Sean Buy the cheap fridge, say you bought the new one, put the cash in your kick for future brewing ingredients and everyone’s happy 😂

Until she notices it ain't a new fridge, then the proverbial hits the spinning thing hanging from the ceiling. 😄

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Any fridge that takes two hours to warm up by only a couple of degrees must have a shitload of insulation. They usually warm up a lot quicker than that, but of course it obviously depends on the outside temperature as well, and how different that is to whatever the fridge is running at, and how much stuff is inside it. 

I'm not so sure about that - when we moved I couldn't be arsed trying to work out how to keep the frozen food cold so I just taped up the vertical freezer door and we moved. 2 days later when we powered on in the new place the food was still solid.

Might be another reason for Shamus to get a new fridge - perhaps your older ones don't do very well on temps? TBH I was surprised my fridge warmed that MUCH in only 2 hours. I expected better performance than that, but that may be influenced by having seen how the freezer performed.

😄 So... perhaps my data wasn't useless after all. I've learned I actually have a decent fridge. 

Also... 6 or 7 minutes to drop back 0.3°? Or even 1°? You may be low on gas. I just tried 6 mins on with mine & it dropped 4.7°. 😄

Yes but it's the 25 litres of wort that's taking 6-7 minutes to drop that far, not the ambient fridge temperature. The fridge itself is fine, usually when I cold crash a batch at this time of year I take the probe off the FV and just use the air temperature (and change that 0.3 to 2 degrees), it drops from ~25 to about 5 in a couple of hours, before slowing down the rest of the way to zero. That's my whole point, the air temperature changes a hell of a lot quicker than liquid or solid things sitting in it.

I've measured the air temperature inside our new kitchen fridge and freezer as well as the kegerator and it does move up and down reasonably quickly. The freezer air temperature ranges between about -13/14 and -23, but the food in it would be maintained at about -18 like it should be. Freezers also have better insulation than fridges. 

• Like 1

Hey folks,  All good on the new versus second hand fridge front.  We are just trying to help each other with advice from our various perspectives.  I think secondhand is great if you know the history of the fridge.  I kick myself now because we gave away two fridges and a deep freeze a few years ago when we were clearing stuff out of mum's place after she passed away.  Now I would love to have them.

Anyway, I am working on turning the new fridge narrative in our house into a new kegerator.  Wish me luck. 😁

• Like 3

The history of the fridge would be more concerning to me in terms of it actually working at all than safety of it so much. Our first kitchen fridge which is now my second ferment fridge was second hand and was fine from a safety point of view but the freezer always frosted up over time so obviously the frost free feature didn't work. Not a problem for its new use of course.

The only other issue we had is that the idiots who sold it to us left it closed the whole time it was turned off and it stunk like a polecat when we opened it. 🤮

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The only other issue we had is that the idiots who sold it to us left it closed the whole time it was turned off and it stunk like a polecat when we opened it. 🤮

What was the after shave in Monty Python? Rancid Polecat No 7?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I know, I'm the same. It's amazing how much useless information the human brain can store 🙂 

Minor point, but something to think about... This should be "It's amazing how much useless information the human mind can store"

Even with MRI's they can still only point out the processing centres, not the memories. 😄 Minds are what brains do.

• Like 1

So Tuesday I got an email from Auspost telling me the Inkbird ITC-310T-B is on it's way and to expect it Monday 17th. Then this AM tracking on ebay said 'In transit' and expect it Tuesday.

Then at 11 AM today I got an email AND a text from the PO telling me there was a package at our PO Box and I now have my Inkbird ITC-310T-B!

Maybe Auspost has finally learned something about managing expectations? 😄

I may need to apologise to APO. 😄

Edited by Journeyman