Coopers Community

Ageing in kegs ?

Stoobs

So my first brew should be all gassed up and ready to go tomorrow arvo I cold crashed it for 2 days before kegging and have had it in the fridge on 12 PSI since Sunday arvo , just quietly I'm chomping at the bit to have a few pints but ive read a few things about ageing your beer and I'm wondering if you guys have any advice on ageing beer in kegs that are cold and gassed or whether you should age at room temp and how long etc ?

Just to add to Beer Baron, aging lagers in kegs in the fridge is wonderful. Most would be lagered after a minimum 6-8 weeks rather than the minimum 3 months in bottles but Otto is the wise one when it comes to lagers so I am sure he will clarify the keg lagering process. 

Yeah I think it depends on the brew but once the keg is chilled and carbonated in the keg fridge, that's where it stays regardless of what style it is. It keeps longer cold as well, not that they usually last that long anyway 😂 The only time I age them at room temperature is when I don't have space in a fridge.

They do warm up if I age them at ambient because I cold crash the beer prior to kegging but this extra rise and fall in temperature doesn't seem to affect the flavour. If you do want to age them at ambient I think it's better to do it before they go in to be kept cold/chilled down and carbonated rather than doing that first then taking them out again. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I think it depends on the brew but once the keg is chilled and carbonated in the keg fridge, that's where it stays regardless of what style it is.

Yeah ok thats what ill be doing wasn't sure if there was a bit of a rule of thumb about letting them age a certain time or whether after the week I used to gas it up would be ok