Coopers Community

Taste

Nutwork

Myself and a couple of mates recently ventured out of SA to Cairns to watch the Aust v Bangladesh Test Match, on arrival we searched out coopers (of course), we found plenty of pubs with pale & sparkling in stubbies and the beer was of its usual high standard.

However only one (shenanigans) pub had pale on tap. After trying the Pale on tap myself and my friends concluded that it tasted differently to what we normally get in SA.

My question to you is two fold : Would the keg beer taste different because of the weather, the transportation or just unclean lines? and why do some stubbies have that metallic taste around where the lid was and can anything be done about it?

cheers

Nutwork

• 2 weeks later...

Pale Ale, being a naturally conditioned beer changes subtly in flavour over time. The Pale you drink on tap in Adelaide will be younger than beer that has been sent first to Brisbane and then to Cairns. This is not to say that the Pale or Sparkling Ale in Cairns will be of lower quality than the same beer in Adelaide. Just slightly different. Of course, there are other factors that affect the flavour of our naturally conditioned ales, such as storage temperature (higher temperatures accelerate the flavour changes), dispensing systems (coldroom, glycol, temprite, etc) and of course the beer line cleaning regime. The transportation itself is not an issue. I haven't heard of a metallic taste being imparted by the crown seal before. I'll pass this on to our QA manager.

I quite often get a metallic/plasticky taste from the first few sips of a stubby. As for the taste of the beer on tap, to rule out the possibility of poorly kempt lines at Shenanigans, I'd suggest further investigation of pubs up north with coopers on tap.

Archived