Coopers Community

COFFEE & CHICORY ESSENCE

Franklin

20 hours ago, Franklin said:

Would there be any problems adding 250ml of Bushells coffee & chicory essence to a Coopers Stout home brew as well as 1kg of dextrose?  I wouldn't want the bottles to explode.  Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Hey Franklin,

Welcome to the forum. 
As Ben said it the flavour might be an issue. 
Not that I’ve tried it but your probably not going to get the best out of that blend. 

I also wouldn’t be adding a 1kg of dextrose to make up the main beer.  Others could/should chime in here but that doesn’t seem right to me. Maybe another kg of dry malt and a smidge if dex. 
Im not one to help with kits as I didn’t brew with them long enough to understand them but as for the coffee chicory flavour, probably best to add original ingredients however, it’s only beer so why not give it a crack. 
Id go to the recipe page, pick out a stout recipe and add you essence with all your other ingredients so if there’s any sugars in there that they ferment out too. 

22 hours ago, Franklin said:

Would there be any problems adding 250ml of Bushells coffee & chicory essence to a Coopers Stout home brew as well as 1kg of dextrose?  I wouldn't want the bottles to explode.  Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

When I did my first stint in brewing 20 years ago, I used to brew a stout with a kilo of dextrose and just added a cup of strong instant coffee to it. It did work and added the coffee flavour but in hindsight, it probably wasn't a particularly good beer. 

This time around, I try to do things the proper way and the beer is actually nice 🙂  As The Captain suggested, try not to use dextrose. It's really just cheap and nasty. Dex is great if you want to up the ABV content of the brew without impacting the flavour (other than adding the taste of alcohol) but maybe a kg of malt (dried dark malt might add some coffee flavours) or maybe some steeped roasted barley. Steeping grains is just a little extra step but it's a step toward better beer. There are also some liquid malt blends which may do the trick for you. 

But to answer your question, you can add the coffee without your bottles exploding. 

Coffee goes well in a stout.

My preference would be to get some ground coffee and cold steep it overnight.

Although we had a coffee challenge in our Home Brew Club and one guy just added a couple of sachets of Nescafe Blend 43 to a growler of beer just before the meeting. It tasted OK.

36 minutes ago, Hairy said:

...Although we had a coffee challenge in our Home Brew Club and one guy just added a couple of sachets of Nescafe Blend 43 to a growler of beer just before the meeting. It tasted OK.

That guy wouldn't be Hairy would it?

• Haha 1