Coopers Community

Good old Adelaide

John304

Whatever the truth is, you can't pump the amount of shit we have into the atmosphere over 150+ years and not cause any effect whatsoever. It may not be the main driver behind it all but it's certainly contributing. All this conspiracy BS does nothing but make it more difficult for the real science to be heard and listened to because everyone doubts everything. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

And that's me out on this subject - I've been following climate and the science for a couple of decades now, reading the papers and checking where I can the actual data used. This is beer and I will not comment on this subject again. Enjoy the rabbit hole if you choose to go. 😄

I see. The old 'lob in a grenade and run from the scene'. Wow.  Jo really has a lot of free time. I won't take any of that as a reliable source.

Go to the logic. Exactly how is the BoM invested in an agenda? They operate independently of govt. To suggest govt or pollies are capable of using the BoM to run an agenda is conspiracy theory. Both sides of govt have criticised the data collection practices of the BoM to further their agendas - which is to perpetuate climate doubt, so the business of economics can carry on as usual.

Look at any weather agency around the world and you'll find wasted funds, bad management, inaccuracy and fusterclucks. I remember the biggest in the UK back in '87. The nations' most respected weather forecaster said someone had called in to say a hurricane was on the way, and he made a joke if it. Just hours later, Britain was hit by the biggest storm since their records began and 19 people were killed.

Britain's forecasting broadcasts were overhauled to include worse case scenarios. A knee jerk policy, that ensured a shedload of funding for staff, satellite tech and weather stations. So going on the conspiracy logic, the whole thing was a successful funding scam eh?

Edited by Lab Rat

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Whatever the truth is, you can't pump the amount of shit we have into the atmosphere over 150+ years and not cause any effect whatsoever. It may not be the main driver behind it all but it's certainly contributing. All this conspiracy BS does nothing but make it more difficult for the real science to be heard and listened to because everyone doubts everything. 

Yep. We get the same crap form govts about pollution too. Lots of lip service, some greenwashing, then letting business making shareholders happy.

This may be comedy, but it has truths. Something in here for those on both sides of the debate...

• Like 2

Very destructive day out here in SA today. a fairly bad fire out in the north of Adelaide among a few. My partner had to evacuate her house & bring her dogs to my place further south. A few nervous hours listening to live radio & watching live TV, but the fires in her area were finally contained (not out) & she has been able to return.

A really bad one still burning in the Adelaide Hills. I know it got to within about 1km from Lobethal & the Bierhaus before winds changed & it turned. Has ripped through a pretty big area of the Adelaide hills in barely a day.  Another down around Maitland in the south west.

A lot of people doing it tough in a number of regions across the country & our Prime Minister is in Hawaii. Probably selling something else of ours.

Stay safe.

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

It's crazy weather atm. It's dropped from 43°C 4 hours ago to just 23°C. A big relief here. Just hopefully no lightening strikes.

It’s coming my way. The forecast for Penrith tomorrow is 47°.

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

It’s coming my way. The forecast for Penrith tomorrow is 47°.

Add heat into the equation, & how much better do you reckon this is gonna go? 

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2019/12/20/panthers-xmas-wrapping-challenge-episode-1/

Maybe some of the brightness of the sun will be absorbed by them?

The corporate sponsors must be lining up now... 🤣

Cheers & stay cool tomorrow Terry.

Lusty.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, Lab Rat said:

Yep. We get the same crap form govts about pollution too. Lots of lip service, some greenwashing, then letting business making shareholders happy.

This may be comedy, but it has truths. Something in here for those on both sides of the debate...

George Carlin is a genius.
Allegedly a comedian. I think he's just a great observer and explainer.
Gone too soon.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

A lot of people doing it tough in a number of regions across the country & our Prime Minister is in Hawaii. Probably selling something else of ours.

Yes, but he believes if we all pray a bit better, it's part of the solution. FFS.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/scott-morrison-says-prayer-a-reminder-of-our-vulnerability-20191014-p530k0

Is this the best we got? Whatever you believe about the climate, Australia has always had a harsh one. People are in strife, and this is the numpty we have in charge.

Don't look to the US or Britain for leadership models. That's a bigger dog and pony show.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

George Carlin is a genius.
Allegedly a comedian. I think he's just a great observer and explainer.
Gone too soon.

Was a genius. Gone a while now. He might have over reached a bit, but his big picture ideas were profound I think. I love his religious material it really hits the mark, but this is probably not the place to post it.

That clip is a good example of his world-view. The planet has dealt with worse than us, but we are conceited enough to think it's all about us. It's not, and it will still be here after we've screwed up made ourselves extinct. In the meantime, I'll crack another beer, cos I won't be here long (in the grand scheme of things).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Was a genius. Gone a while now. He might have over reached a bit, but his big picture ideas were profound I think.

I knew he'd passed on. I write of him in present text because he's still a genius compared to many people still alive today.
I've watched many of his videos. His mocking of the military he was once part of is priceless.