Coopers Community

Good old Adelaide

John304

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how many actually call it that? 

I worked for Dept CFL in Vic - new Ministers have a tendency to want to make a splash, put their name on the Dept, so to speak. One decided the Grampians had to be called by their Aboriginal name so they spent $1 million+ changing signs and letterhead and more, to call them Gariwerd. 

Nobody ever called them that and the signs went back to Grampians, Also 'Gariwerd' was a word from the language of an Aborigine group that had never been anywhere near the hills.

From Maps, it looks like one of those riverbank high-priced places cities seem to love doing. I wonder how much a pint is?

Edited by Journeyman

12 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I wonder how many actually call it that? 

I worked for Dept CFL in Vic - new Ministers have a tendency to want to make a splash, put their name on the Dept, so to speak. One decided the Grampians had to be called by their Aboriginal name so they spent $1 million+ changing signs and letterhead and more, to call them Gariwerd. 

Nobody ever called them that and the signs went back to Grampians, Also 'Gariwerd' was a word from the language of an Aborigine group that had never been anywhere near the hills.

From Maps, it looks like one of those riverbank high-priced places cities seem to love doing. I wonder how much a pint is?

Yeah, it's more to do with virtue signalling than proper acknowledgement of indigenous groups.

Their website doesn't provide any detail on pricing, but I'm guessing (given where they are) they wouldn't be catering for the budget end of the market.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 2:10 PM, John304 said:

Didn’t know this existed in Adelaide. The Tap house on the banks of the Torrens C424A247-D570-4D83-9981-75CA697B879A.thumb.jpeg.1050bed5e84ae5fe3abbf97cb6d5543f.jpeg

Could do some serious damage with those kegs, just need to make a couple of adaptors, although I’d need a bigger keezer, hmm 🤔 bigger keezer, like the sound of that 🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Could do some serious damage with those kegs, just need to make a couple of adaptors, although I’d need a bigger keezer, hmm 🤔 bigger keezer, like the sound of that 🤣🤣

It would be quicker & easier to adapt my lounge room to it. 😉

1 minute ago, Beer Baron said:

Oh I thought this thread was a joke. I didn’t think ‘good’ and ‘Adelaide’ would belong in the same sentence😂

How about the sentence “Adelaide is good for nothing (except Coopers)”?

• Haha 1

Malt Shovel seem to be expanding around the Nation. They have a new one on the Sunshine Coast. A Malt Shovel tap house has a wide range of "craftwashed" beers that they can offer on tap:

Little Creatures, White Rabbit, Kosciusko, Byron Bay Brewing, Brooklyn Brewing ( distributed or B.U.L.) , Eumundi in Queensland, Malt Shovel from Camperdown, Furphy, Panhead (NZ Lion), etc.

Some of them I enjoy, for example White Rabbit dark ale at my local RSL. But every single one of them Lion to their bootstraps.

19 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Don't be dissing Adelaide. Sure we have two crap football teams and a cricket team that resembles the Keystone Cops but we weren't settled by convicts and we don't pay road tolls, although the crooks in government currently will try changing that scenario.

Our other 'football' team is consistently uncrap though!

6 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Adelaide only has one football team and that is Adelaide United. Third after 7 games is a great effort. 

.....and custodians of the FFA Cup.  Winners in 3 of its 6 year history. Finalists in 4 of 6. That's some record.

• 2 weeks later...

Good old Adelaide is serving it up weather-wise right now.

Started with 36° on Monday. Yesterday 42ish. Got barely below 30° for one hour between 3.30am - 4.30am this morning. By 10.00am it was 40° heading upwards again. Reached 44.8° out my way mid afternoon. Was still at 40° @ 7.00pm tonight. 9 hours solid above 40°. Sweltering here atm! 🥵

45° forecast for tomorrow, then 46° for Friday. I'm nearly 50yrs old & haven't seen weather forecast in the metropolitan area this high as often as I have seen in the last two years.

It has to be o-zone depletion.

Stay cool croweaters.

Lusty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Good old Adelaide is serving it up weather-wise right now.

Started with 36° on Monday. Yesterday 42ish. Got barely below 30° for one hour between 3.30am - 4.30am this morning. By 10.00am it was 40° heading upwards again. Reached 44.8° out my way mid afternoon. Was still at 40° @ 7.00pm tonight. 9 hours solid above 40°. Sweltering here atm! 🥵

45° forecast for tomorrow, then 46° for Friday. I'm nearly 50yrs old & haven't seen weather forecast in the metropolitan area this high as often as I have seen in the last two years.

It has to be o-zone depletion.

Stay cool croweaters.

Lusty.

I'm with Dr Karl. I don't "believe" in climate change.
A very clever man.

https://australiascience.tv/vod/dr-karl-do-you-believe-in-climate-change/?fbclid=IwAR0CJd6y2UK1Abf6CDzeOmMEGVRIzNpvacVMAQLLBNSC9m3hS-7I5-B2yZE

I am in WA and remember summers being as hot and as long as this when I was a kid.

A few years ago doing some work at Balgo a aboriginal community some 150k south of Halls Creek. Tried to fuel up but I was so hot around 50 centigrade plus (but not unusual for there) that petrol pump could not pump petrol because the petrol was turning to vapour. The diesel was ok. We had to leave the petrol vehicles there to be picked up later.

I wonder if they ever were able to patch the hole in the ozone layer. You don't hear much about it these days.

13 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I am in WA and remember summers being as hot and as long as this when I was a kid.

A few years ago doing some work at Balgo a aboriginal community some 150k south of Halls Creek. Tried to fuel up but I was so hot around 50 centigrade plus (but not unusual for there) that petrol pump could not pump petrol because the petrol was turning to vapour. The diesel was ok. We had to leave the petrol vehicles there to be picked up later.

I wonder if they ever were able to patch the hole in the ozone layer. You don't hear much about it these days.

I think that issue was resolved decades ago when manufacturers switched away from chlorofluorocarbons in pressurised containers, though I think the replacement chemical is also being phased out in favour of something else. 

Your first point is important though - and provides a very good reason why you shouldn't, unless absolutely necessary, fill up your tank in hot weather. The hotter it is, the less energy you'll get from a litre due to the petrol expanding in the tanks (usually underneath the bowsers). As you'd expect, the industry most affected is aviation where control of fuel costs is the holy grail. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FusterCluck said:

I think that issue was resolved decades ago when manufacturers switched away from chlorofluorocarbons in pressurised containers, though I think the replacement chemical is also being phased out in favour of something else. 

Yes, the Greenhouse effect was THE moral panic of the 90s. As Dr Karl alludes, the vested interests in big business made it 'go away' by developing a new propellant and selling it as the solution. We all went back to buying Mortein and Rexona and the crisis was 'over' and Johnson and Johnson execs watched their stocks rise again.

Human are ruled by economics and politicians planning for re-election as soon as they are elected. Whatever the truth of climate change is, it will be buried in vested political and business interests, and we will be fed the news (or obfuscation) they both want us to hear, assisted by a complaint and conflicted media, which often has a political stake in the game.

Kids are getting angry and bunking school to protest, and our politicians misdirect the whole thing by alluding to them not being scientists, and irresponsible wagging school, when they should be studying for their ATAR so they can get jobs at Johnson and Johnson and BHP.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

54 minutes ago, FusterCluck said:

When I was a kid in Orbost, parents used to harangue the Council to open up the town pool for the Sept holidays - early to mid-Sept. It was often in the 90°F's and the pool was a mecca for us kids. Not only are those days long gone, so are the temps - BoM 'adjusted' them so modern temps could look hotter.

The CFC's may or may not have contributed to the Ozone Hole - certainly it is still there, enlarging and shrinking with the seasons. Current science suggests it has nothing to do with chemicals and everything to do with whether or not the South Pole is in winter or summer. UV and ions from the Sun streamed into the magnetic South would be the likely culprits.

We should not be alarmed by weather - it will happen just as it always has, in cycles indifferent to the puny efforts of Man. We should be more concerned about pollution and land use changes than the plant food known as CO2. Which is why the kids might as well wag school - nobody there is going to teach them actual science abut solar cycles, magnetic activity, solar wind and Galactic Cosmic Rays. 😄

But in spite of that, beer is a good way to counter any fears the young may have - we are, after all, consuming CO2 and turning it into fats and sugars. 😄 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Not only are those days long gone, so are the temps - BoM 'adjusted' them so modern temps could look hotter.

You'll need some sources for that claim. As I posted previously, what possible reason would the BOM have for fudging data? They have no vested interest in providing misleading information.

The whole cycling of weather is just another factor that confuses the issue. People's memories are unreliable and nostalgic, and the science is beyond most of us. So it's left to the organisations that have something to lose - politics and business - to create the defining narrative. Govts look concerned and claim that they're doing something, when all they are actually doing is ensuring business as usual.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

You'll need some sources for that claim. As I posted previously, what possible reason would the BOM have for fudging data? They have no vested interest in providing misleading information.

The whole cycling of weather is just another factor that confuses the issue. People's memories are unreliable and nostalgic, and the science is beyond most of us. So it's left to the organisations that have something to lose - politics and business - to create the defining narrative. Govts look concerned and claim that they're doing something, when all they are actually doing is ensuring business as usual.

OK, I do not want to get into the AGW scam subject - if you have an interest and don't feel up to reading the papers themselves, try http://joannenova.com.au/ - she links to anything she makes claims about. There are plenty of people doing honest science in the field - you just have to search a bit because the MSM will not tell you about them.

BoM is vested. Anthropogenic Global Warming is funded to the tune of many $Billions and BoM is right in there getting what they can. They even admit fudging the data - they call it homogenisation where they 'correct' cooling data to match other stations in cities and towns. They changed from standard thermometers to electronic, didn't do side-by-side runs to check the calibration, removed the older model and deleted the old data. Many of their stations do not actually comply to the BoM rules for siting and set up of stations but are still used.  Now, a 'maximum' for a day is taken from a split-second reading from the station - they do not average even across 10 seconds to see if it's a momentary blip.

They admit to deleting wholesale swathes of data - I know where the Orbost weather station was but now everything prior to 2000 is gone from BoM.  2009, Melbourne, 2 weeks before the fires, 4 days in a row above 43°C, loudly trumpeted because 'climate change' as 43.4, 45.7, 47.3 and 43.7 - go look now - 45° is the top, there's 2 43's and a 38.

Looking at BoM on the day to see what they say the temp will be isn't checking their forecast - probably 6 or 7 times in the past couple of months, they have been 3° to 5° wrong on the temps at 5 pm the day before.  That's remarkably bad for an organisation we rely on for accurate forecasting and pay $100's of $millions.

And that's me out on this subject - I've been following climate and the science for a couple of decades now, reading the papers and checking where I can the actual data used. This is beer and I will not comment on this subject again. Enjoy the rabbit hole if you choose to go. 😄