Coopers Community

Keeping the right temp

jamiea83

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It won't go up, it will only ever go down once yeast is pitched, but I agree that it's most likely finished. 

I also think your hydrometer is reading wrong, test it in water as the other guys advised. 

Ok so i have been able to do test with the hydrometer with the water temp at 20 dec and it reads 0.998 so does that mean i will be way out then?

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It means every reading is 2 points higher than the hydrometer reads. So your 1.004 is really 1.006.

Ok. Ill test it tomorrow and see if its the same. If it is it will be good to bottle in the arvo or just do the test then?

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Should be fine to bottle it if it's the same, which it probably will be judging by the photo of it. It looks like it's starting to clear up which is a pretty good indication it's finished fermenting. 

It has come up the same this morning. So i will bottle it up this arvo as i dont have the time this morning to do it.

Thanks for all your help.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Titan said:

Please search the forum before posting questions on topics already well covered.

I did look threw them and i couldnt find what i needed thats why i put a post up.

And if you dont like it you dont have to read it or even look at it. Im sure this is what it is ment for to get help.

10 minutes ago, Titan said:

Ok, wow, nothing on temperature control. Hey guys new topic!!! Lets give our best answers. Again

Well if you went to the start it was all about temp control. Stop being a stick in the mud and move on. I asked for help and got the help i needed so it all worked.

13 minutes ago, Titan said:

Not a stickin the wort, but temperature control is a hot topic on this forum. Info ready available 

Can i just ask what is the problem???

I asked for help and i recived the help i needed. If you dont want to read or help dont bother writing anything. If someone asked and i know the answer then i would help doesnt matter how many different people ask. So just leave it at that

I dont see a problem is posting about stuff thats reguarly discussed.  Things change its fine, ive been brewing for years and just got back into it. I have only heard of an inkbird because they sell temp probes for bbqing meat my other hobby lol did not know they made fridge controllers. I have actually made my own with a esp8266 but thats for another topic if anyones interested.

good going Jamiea83 as long as your first brew is drinkable happy days!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hakobrew said:

I dont see a problem is posting about stuff thats reguarly discussed.  Things change its fine, ive been brewing for years and just got back into it. I have only heard of an inkbird because they sell temp probes for bbqing meat my other hobby lol did not know they made fridge controllers. I have actually made my own with a esp8266 but thats for another topic if anyones interested.

good going Jamiea83 as long as your first brew is drinkable happy days!

I would be up for that. This was my very first go at it and now its bottled we will see in 2 weeks.

I will be getting a inkbird and a fridge as i did find it hard to keep it at the right temp on the run.

• Like 1

yeah it works quite well and I can tell when fermentation is over by how often its having to cool the fermenting beer. This is one fact I have never seen discussed actually. At the start it has to switch the fridge back on after 1-2hrs once its cooled back down due to the heat generated during fermentation. Once fermentation is over it can be upto 6 hours.  Its not a simple setup tho and requires arduino/nodejs/mqtt/python/mysql knowledge to peice it all together. Pic of my DIY web interface.

When you mentioned fruity beer thats typical of a warm fementation, IMO using coopers yeast around 18c will clean that right up but will take a bit longer to ferment. I usually leave mine 2 weeks before bottling. 

temp axis is on the right, temps of fermenting beer are kept within 0.5c.

brewesp.PNG

Edited by hakobrew
  • Thanks 1

Mine rises quicker than that, although the difference is 0.3 degrees. Usually takes about 15 minutes from the time the fridge turns off to rise the 0.3 degrees that kicks it back on for about 6-7 minutes to bring it down again. However, I just have the probe taped to the side underneath foam. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Mine rises quicker than that, although the difference is 0.3 degrees. Usually takes about 15 minutes from the time the fridge turns off to rise the 0.3 degrees that kicks it back on for about 6-7 minutes to bring it down again. However, I just have the probe taped to the side underneath foam. 

The rate of temp rise (or drop) is of course dependent on the surrounding ambient temperature and the quality of the fridge's insulation.   Ambient temps here are still close to (ale) fermentation temperatures so my fridge sits idle for hours.  In contrast I imagine in a QLD Summer your fridge will be absolutely flogging itself to death!  🥵

44 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

The rate of temp rise (or drop) is of course dependent on the surrounding ambient temperature and the quality of the fridge's insulation.   Ambient temps here are still close to (ale) fermentation temperatures so my fridge sits idle for hours.  In contrast I imagine in a QLD Summer your fridge will be absolutely flogging itself to death!  🥵

Yes thats true. But i will look at getting a new fridge but i have solar which will help i hope 😬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

True, although it doesn't really seem to make much difference what time of year it is when it comes to fermentation temperature as it's quite a bit warmer than usual fridge temps. 

In any case, I've taken note of how often the compressor comes on when it's just running as a normal fridge and in that instance it runs about twice as often as it does when maintaining ferment temp, so I'm not worried about it killing itself. 

The summer is obviously gonna make it work a bit harder but more during the cold crash which is why I take the probe off and change the difference to 2 degrees during this time of year. It gets down easily that way, whereas leaving the probe in place on the fermenter it wouldn't even reach the set temperature. 

At the moment the weather is pretty mild, not even getting to 30 yet. I'm sure that will change soon though!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jamiea83 said:

Yes thats true. But i will look at getting a new fridge but i have solar which will help i hope 😬

You'll be fine, they don't run that often when compared with using them as normal like in the kitchen or whatever. I have solar as well, not sure what each fridge uses individually but overnight when nothing else is on except the kitchen, keg and brew fridge the usage fluctuates between about 50 and 280-300 watts depending on the fridge cycles. A brew fridge running around 20 minutes out of every hour isn't gonna use much. It'd probably take a few days or maybe a week to use 1kwh from the grid given the daytime usage is covered by the solar.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

At the moment the weather is pretty mild, not even getting to 30 yet. 

Meanwhile here in Auckland...   at the moment the weather is pretty mild, not even getting to 20 yet  😁

Edited by BlackSands
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, jamiea83 said:

Hey there just wanted to ask when do you know when the beer is ready to drink?

If you're bottling into PET bottles, squeeze them and if they're hard, they're sufficiently carbonated. Sometimes the bottles are done in a few days but the beer will still be very "green". Give it 2-3 weeks in the bottle to let the beer mature a little. I usually test one after about a week, mainly to see if all is ok and to get a bit of a feel for what's coming. Then I leave it for another 1-3 weeks, depending on the type of beer, before I start drinking it.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:37 AM, BlackSands said:

Meanwhile here in Auckland...   at the moment the weather is pretty mild, not even getting to 20 yet  😁

Could be worse. We've had a cosy 36 here in Brisbane, while the in-laws in Tassie sat at 8 with rain. Tasmania is either cold or on fire. 🙂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

If you're bottling into PET bottles, squeeze them and if they're hard, they're sufficiently carbonated. Sometimes the bottles are done in a few days but the beer will still be very "green". Give it 2-3 weeks in the bottle to let the beer mature a little. I usually test one after about a week, mainly to see if all is ok and to get a bit of a feel for what's coming. Then I leave it for another 1-3 weeks, depending on the type of beer, before I start drinking it.

Thanks for that, they are ferm but some are clear and some are still cloudy, should this be right?