Coopers Community

A beer for SWMBO: The ultimate challenge

Aussiekraut

3 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I find that women that like wine will like stout or the darker versions of beers, along with sours like Berliner 

I find that, like my previous life before good craft beer, “all” beer was no good.

Good luck

My wife likes wine but doesn't like dark beers or sour beers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

My wife likes wine but doesn't like dark beers or sour beers.

My wife likes red wine, and very much dislikes stouts and porters etc! 

However if she liked white wine then just maybe....?   🤔  

Edited by BlackSands

17 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

My wife likes red wine, and very much dislikes stouts and porters etc! 

However if she liked white wine then just maybe....?   🤔  

My wife prefers white wine and not much of a fan of reds.

Well, she actually prefers beer now.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why not try the cerveza kit with a fruity dry hop? It is clean, crisp and should highlight whatever hop you brew with. My wife really likes these types of brews.

1 mex cerveza kit

750g dry malt extract

250g dry wheat malt extract

Make to 21l

Do a 5 minute boil with 5l of water and 450-500g of the dry malt. Turn off the heat, move the pot off the burner and drop in 25g of Wakatu(or Citra) and Azacca(my favourite but choose whatever fruity hops you like) you could try citra and mosaic or something, and let sit for 15 minutes.

Drain the hot wort through a strainer, you might have to clean it after pouring some of the wort and hops through, into your waiting fermenter which has cold water and a couple chunks of ice, from an ice cream containers or about 4 to 6 liters of ice, have the fermenter filled with about 7l of water and ice. Stir to help cool off everything and melt the ice chunks and top up with hot/cold water As needed to 21l.  Toss in the kit yeast, rehydrated, and wait.

Check gravity on day 5 and if it is at 1.014 to 1.010 then dry hop in a chux cloth for 3 to 4 days with the same hop combo with 100g split across the hops in whatever ratio you like, 1:1, 50g each, or 3:1, 75g and 25g, or whatever to accentuate the characteristics you want to bring out.

Pull the hops and let sit for 1 more day at 22c or whatver you do a d rest at, cold crash and fine to make it crystal clear. Let sit while cold crashing and fining for 4 days and then keg carbonate and drink 2 to 3 days later or bottle. If you bottle I would bulk prime to 3.0 to make it sparkly and highly carbonated, which might help her like it even more.

Give it a try or not but I thought I would share a recipe for you to consider.

Cheers

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I don't encourage my wife to participate in my brewing hobby. It's best she stays sober so she can drive. 😄

This made me laugh. My wife is not much of an alcohol drinker and so has been the DD in the family for years, but recently that has changed. As you may be aware, Canada legalized marijuana one year ago. My wife has developed a liking for it at parties. Now it is payback time and I have to be the DD. It is always my turn, because I have 15 years to make up for. It is not much fun, but I can't complain.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

This made me laugh. My wife is not much of an alcohol drinker and so has been the DD in the family for years, but recently that has changed. As you may be aware, Canada legalized marijuana one year ago. My wife has developed a liking for it at parties. Now it is payback time and I have to be the DD. It is always my turn, because I have 15 years to make up for. It is not much fun, but I can't complain.

Cheers,

Christina.

My wife and I share the driving. I usually drive to the functions and she mostly drives home. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

My wife has developed a liking for it at parties.

As a teenager I did too, however it wasn’t (nor is it still) legal here.

Funnily enough, there was generally beer involved too! The good thing was we could walk everywhere in the town I grew up in.

Those were the days.....