Coopers Community

A beer for SWMBO: The ultimate challenge

Aussiekraut

I'm trying to find a beer SWMBO will like. The problem is, she hates beer. The taste, the smell, the lot.

However, we were at the Beer InCider experience in Brissy a few weeks ago and she tried a few beers, she "didn't mind". I thought low bitterness and high sweetness would be the thing but I'm not so sure. For example Aether Brewing had a "Mango Sticky Rice IPA", which firstly hit you with an onslaught of bitterness and then fades into something fruity, coconutty and quite yummy. She had 2 sips of this one, which is a good sign. I guess some high bitterness, which gets balanced with lots of fruity aromas and a little residual sweetness and "no beer smell" could do the trick. 

Any ideas? 

Simple Berliner wiess has gone well for my white wine drinking friends. 

Light lactic tartness with very low bitterness,  raspberry versions have been extremely popular. 

ABV% of 3.5 is very licence friendly as well. 

There's so much choice is current beer market that I'd almost bet my left nut you can find something you and the boss both enjoy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Simple Berliner wiess has gone well for my white wine drinking friends. 

Light lactic tartness with very low bitterness,  raspberry versions have been extremely popular. 

ABV% of 3.5 is very licence friendly as well. 

There's so much choice is current beer market that I'd almost bet my left nut you can find something you and the boss both enjoy 

Maybe worth looking into as well. She doesn't drink wine either but does like cider, as long as it is sweet. 

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

If I wanted to make my missus something and she was fussy I would make her rat bait infused water. 

Oh c'mon. She's a great helper with bottling and deserves to reap some fruit of her labour. I have some hopes the cider I bottled last week will help. But I took the challenge of the beer. While she doesn't like beer, she does acknowledge the occasional beer and does have a shandy every now and then. So if I can just tickle that hidden beer drinker a little, it may come out on its own free will and she'll hit my stash....stop! stop the project now 🙂 

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

This is a thread I will keep an eye on - SWMBO hates beer. Also likes ciders though so I thought once I get the hang of making decent beer it could be a roject to find something she will drink. 😄 

If you get a chance I highly recommend mangrove jacks cider pouches. Easy and great tasting

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

+1 to MJ's cider pouches. When I do one the keg gets SMASHED.

When I managed my LHBS I noticed these were a very popular seller.  The elderflower and lime in particular.  Not sure if you've tried that one?

Anyway, I've been meaning to give one a shot for... oh, let me see... about 18 months now so...  when I've got this red wine out of my fridge I might just get onto it!  My SWM(not necessarily)BO used to like drinking those sweet fruity ciders (Rekoderlig etc) so I reckon it'll be well-received.  But like the red wine currently fermenting, I'm not entirely sure why I'm the one funding her beverage preferences?  I'm happy to donate my time and expertise at no cost but I really should recoup some of my costs!   🤣

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Oh c'mon. She's a great helper with bottling and deserves to reap some fruit of her labour. I have some hopes the cider I bottled last week will help. But I took the challenge of the beer. While she doesn't like beer, she does acknowledge the occasional beer and does have a shandy every now and then. So if I can just tickle that hidden beer drinker a little, it may come out on its own free will and she'll hit my stash....stop! stop the project now 🙂 

She hates beer and doesn’t help me with anything and that’s the way I like it

• Haha 3