Coopers Community

Mixing Pilsner and Wheat?

Had some Coriander growing in a pot on the ledge above the kitchen sink... 

Silly Butter shot, flowered and went to seed... have got some of the seeds but think will use in cooking rather than me beer ; )

Stuff in the garden didn't survive well as no rain and I cannot waste/use the water out there sadly.

image.png.fa2a1cd84b1402979e331e3747baa0aa.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm mostly doing kits & bits and the occasional k&k if I need to stock up beer 🙂 Going all grain soon. I have a microbrewery in my sitting in my "brewery" but am not supposed to use it till xmas but since it is a b'day and chrissy present, I think I'll grab it on my b'day next month 🙂 The wait is killing me 🙂 I did a nice wheat late last year but it is very under carbonated and barely drinkable, even after such a long time. I had used 500ml bottles to match my Weissbier-Glaeser and had to carbonate with dextrose powder. Most of it got stuck outside the bottles I think and the flip-top bottles I used probably didn't seal correctly. since the bottles with the crown seals didn't have that problem.  A shame really as it wasn't a bad beer. I had used a tin of wheat malt to add to the kit. Well, I'll give it another go, maybe as an AG brew 🙂

Sounds good alter Kumpel!  

If filling bottles - cannot use the drops - do a "Bulk Prime"... mix up boiling water with Dex or Dry Malt and put the whole thing in before you bottle... 

Think I went something like 400g of LDME into 20L for Bulk Prime @3.7 volumes... 

Wow - sad to hear carbonation problems - one thing - I have never hard carb probs with Hefeweizen - kit or AG... temperature problems maybe?

Have you seen my earlier KnK dunkel Hefeweizen AK?

image.png.afbc522167b0444eeb016225ec5b9c38.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

In the meantime, I just have to get some Weihenstephaner or Erdinger from the bottle shop. Not touching Schoefferhofer with a 10 foot pole 🙂 

YES!

I cannot agree with you more - the Erdinger, Franziskaner, and Weihenstephan are GOLD.... but I bought some Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen from Dans at some stage as was cheaper...

Was TERRIBLE stuff !?!

Wow... is it because it comes from Frankfurt or somewhere UP NORTH? 

15 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

Great photo.  Love that glass.

And no one will believe me but it actually did come all the way from Zminga (Munich)    ; )

--> The photo has been on the site before... but I did think it was relevant to this current discussion... hopefully those who have seen it before will excuse my rolling it out again : |

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

YES!

I cannot agree with you more - the Erdinger, Franziskaner, and Weihenstephan are GOLD.... but I bought some Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen from Dans at some stage as was cheaper...

Was TERRIBLE stuff !?!

Wow... is it because it comes from Frankfurt or somewhere UP NORTH? 

I think it comes from Schwabenland. They should leave the wheat beers to the Bavarians 🙂 Although back in the early/mid 80s, Karlsberg (not Carlsberg) made quite a decent Weizen but gave up after a few years. I had some really good ones earlier this year. Visiting the relos, an old friend dropped off a crate of all localish beers like Unertel, Maxlrainer, Floetzinger etc. I had a week to go through them and I did 🙂 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I think it comes from Schwabenland. They should leave the wheat beers to the Bavarians 🙂 Although back in the early/mid 80s, Karlsberg (not Carlsberg) made quite a decent Weizen but gave up after a few years. I had some really good ones earlier this year. Visiting the relos, an old friend dropped off a crate of all localish beers like Unertel, Maxlrainer, Floetzinger etc. I had a week to go through them and I did 🙂 

Wow - I have heard very good things of UNERTL... and on thinking on it a little more... I do think I have had some but it was quite a few years ago.... Cooool!  Good stuff AK! 😋

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

Schofferhofer is great if you like banana esters.

Sorry Hairy... doesn't cut the mustard… well no good for us Bayern Boys... we no like the old Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen - no matter how nicely the name rolls off the tongue… it is still a decent Reinheitsgebot brew.... but if you are a Bayer (Bavarian) then that is not like how you should make a Weizen ; )  

But each to their own mate and most Reinheitsgebot beer would be well ahead of aussie and most world megaswill I would suggest.

Tho some people actually do like that as well 😝

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

That's something you don't hear every day 🙂 

I think that Zminga is the most beautiful city in the World... ah well... there are many beautiful places in the World... but Zminga has got to be right up there near the top!?!  BB

33 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I think that Zminga is the most beautiful city in the World... ah well... there are many beautiful places in the World... but Zminga has got to be right up there near the top!?!  BB

I have to agree on that one. Not just because I was born near Munich but because it is one of my "feel good" cities. There are a few places, where I feel relaxed and happy to be there. Munich is one of them. 🙂 

• Like 1

Black rock do a crafted whitbeir w/ infused orange peel & coriander attempting to emulate the hoegaarden commercial stlye i should imagine

-(Lallemand also do a belgium wheitbeir yeast called lalbrew wit belgium )

Still on the topic of wheitbeirs,one of the best brews i have ever stumble across was the black rock whispering wheat,  from memory  i added pilsen & wheat grains + 500gs of dme & 500gs of dwme, tossed the kit yeast & used Lallemand munich wheat yeast & Hallertau for dry hopping. It was ready to drink in a week! Very, very simalar too erdinger.

Funny thing though with whitbeirs they don't age, there brilliant at 3-4 weeks.  

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, Jumping jack flash said:

Funny thing though with whitbeirs they don't age, they're brilliant at 3-4 weeks.  

I do believe I read same in a recipe by a legend US brewer and he said better to drink young as leaving sit around too long can be detrimental... not sure how long that is tho… probably like any brews - depends upon the temp regime to what the outcome is... i.e. if kept nice and cool suspect ought to last ok in the bottle... but that fella did say that the W3068 Hefeweizens are drunk well quite early on.  Cheers.

BB

Prehaps i mis spoke, they will age but to me they begin to taste more like a underhopped pilsener over time,

Every week after about a month in the bottle the brew slightly diminishes little by little not queit as fresh etc etc.

Basically the reverse of any good lager/ale.

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

not sure how long that is tho if kept nice and cool suspect ought to last ok in the bottle... but that fella did say that the W3068 Hefeweizens are drunk well quite early on.  Cheers.

BB

Makes sense, but witbeir is a summer quoff for me, makes it hard for me to keep those ambient storage temperatures in the garage under 24°c.

Cheers BB.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jumping jack flash said:

Prehaps i mis spoke, they will age but to me they begin to taste more like a underhopped pilsener over time,

Every week after about a month in the bottle the brew slightly diminishes little by little not queit as fresh etc etc.

Basically the reverse of any good lager/ale.

Makes sense, but witbeir is a summer quoff for me, makes it hard for me to keep those ambient storage temperatures in the garage under 24°c.

Cheers BB.

Yep that's tough mate... when ambient is up there.... yeah and I been there.

Fortunately now am in cooler climes and the Weizen seems to be keeping fairly happy around 15-17.... but it was only brewed recently too.

Having one now... might be a good one to use up now things are warming up as they are very refreshing!

Cheers JJF and good brewing!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/21/2019 at 11:21 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Next time I’m adding 6 chamomile teabags.

Paddy - are you there mate?  How did the Chamomile go?

I have got some Chamomile Flowers and could put in with a steep at the end?

On 10/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, Aussiekraut said:

My problem is that I seem to fail miserably when it comes to light coloured beers. It's a little like a curse. Back in May or June, I brewed a k&k Coopers pale ale and it turned out to be vinegar. I brewed a k&k Canadian blonde and it turned out to be vinegar. A batch of Weizen? you guessed it, vinegar. Pils? Yep that too. Another Pils? not sour but not particularly good either. A lager? Vinegar. 

Darker beers seem to work fine. I didn't have a single one fail, with the exception of a couple of very early ones. Maybe I need to compromise and brew dark wheats like a Weihenstephaner or Franziskaner Dunkel or something along the lines of a Schneider Weisse or a Pikantus.

Hey are you there @Aussiekraut AK?

Mate just looking back at some old Hefeweizen threads... haha mate you have come a long way since the above hey?!

And that is only a bit more than 12 months ago hey?  The wonderful world of All Graining hey?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey are you there @Aussiekraut AK?

Mate just looking back at some old Hefeweizen threads... haha mate you have come a long way since the above hey?!

And that is only a bit more than 12 months ago hey?  The wonderful world of All Graining hey?!

Yeah mate, I was going through a rough patch there. I should have just called them sour and be done with it 🙂 

Nah, haven't had any issues since going AG, not that those problems had anything to do with k&k, just me stuffing up. 

Made some beers I'm pretty proud of since 🙂 

• Like 1