Coopers Community

Spirit Mix Carbonation Level

Beer Baron

I have a dedicated tap for a spirit mix now but when I set it up I just set it up the same as my beer setup not thinking about it.

It pours all foam but isn’t carbed up enough so what pressure should the beer be poured at and what line length do you think I need. 

I currently run 3.5m lengths at approximately 12psi. 

Thanks

No idea but I'd imagine it would be a higher carbonation level than beer. 

I tried to carbonate a keg of cordial once, took about a week on 40psi to get anything noticeable into it. Gave up and just went back to mixing it with soda water in a glass. If I want Jack and Coke or whatever now, I just use Sodastream cola with the water and spirits.

• Like 1

Fast carb at 30psi shake it for 10 minutes then burp it and wait 10 minutes to check it. It’s a trial and error thing for me. I only do 5 litre kegs of spirits/soda water. I’ve never had any dramas with just foam. But I have found if you over carb anything put a spunding valve set at serving pressures for a couple of hours. 

In a Pub/Hotel the two are separately post-mixed & probably for a good reason. Pour the spirit into the glass then add the mixer via the link from a carbonated keg.

I'm not completely sure about the reasons why this post-mix setup is the norm, but would imagine that in most pubs/hotels etc. the volume of sales of pre-mixed spirit & mixer has yet to reach volumes similar to beers & ciders worthy of kegging them together that can regularly be dispensed within use-by dates across the board.

That's purely speculating on my part though.

Cheers,

Lusty.

You don't see it often but I have seen already mixed spirits and cola on tap at one pub. Bundy and Coke it was.

I suppose the other reason is that people ask for all different combinations of spirits and mixers, or just want the mixers by themselves, it wouldn't be worth it setting up kegs and taps for all that.