Coopers Community

Whirlfloc

Aussiekraut

It's used to clarify the wort rather than the beer. Its main use is coagulating and precipitating hot break, so that it settles out at the bottom of the kettle after the boil, rather than floating around all through the wort. This crap isn't desired in the fermenter as it can cause problems in the beer, most notably premature staling. I use a different product called brewbrite but the purpose is the same.

I have brewed batches without it, mostly by mistake (forgetting I'd run out), and they were lesser beers. One pilsner batch looked more like a neipa and tasted crap compared to usual as well. Even dosing it with isinglass and polyclar, and having it chilled in a keg for two months didn't make any difference to it. Never leaving it out again.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

It's yet another one of those things where opinions and experiences are polarised.  I use half a whirlfloc tab on a 'just in case' basis but there's plenty out there that apparently don't bother, don't worry about hot break going into the fermenter,  and after CC'ing and fining still apparently end up with crystal clear, great tasting beer.   

🙄

• Like 1