Hell Man Hixy

First Full Mash...IPA

Ok Legends.

its coming up to my one year anniversary of homebrewing, and what an epic years it’s been!!!  This is damn tasty work we’ve got going on here!!

anyway to celebrate I wanna move away from using an extract tin and  do an all grain IPA....but frankly have no idea where to start! I’ve got your basic gear, massive pot and strainer, sick thermometer...and bucket loads of hops!

im hoping one of you legends can show me a recipe that would suit a newbie, but yet yield a mighty fine beverage!!

cheers and beers 

Edited by Hell Man Hixy
Typo

Think it would help if you told us how big your pot is in litres. How do you want to mash, Biab? Do you own a chiller? 

48 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Think it would help if you told us how big your pot is in litres. How do you want to mash, Biab? Do you own a chiller? 

Hey Captain...pot is 40L

BIAB is defo the way to go..I think!?!

No mate no chiller....
thanks!

I think BIAB is the next progression from extract etc. 

If you want to no chill you have a couple of options. 25l batch or 20l batch so you’ll need a cube. You can get smaller ones I just find going smaller than 20l a pain if not splitting wort. 

Is your heat source enough to boil 30 odd litres of wort?

are you bottling or kegging?

I’ll post the last IPA I did on a 20l batch that was pretty awesome. 

Most recipes that you’ll develop will be down to your own taste. 

One of the things with IPAs is to get the IBU/OG ratio around 1:1. This gives a good solid bitterness with the malt flavour and abv. 

The 15 min steep is at flameout. The 10min steep is cube hopped at 82c after the whirlpool and what not. 

The Flaked wheat is also raw wheat. Carafa only for colour. 

2547030C-5853-4905-B8A2-E16675ACC6F1.thumb.png.cb187370196492aca72bb70b89ac45e7.png

F73093DA-A61B-4364-9BD6-EE9BF3C58A0A.png

BC4461D8-BFC8-4E04-93F2-18A470BA1284.png

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1

Damn Captain, that is awesome, thank you so much!

Sorry for the delay in replying was off the radar for the weekend.

I'm bottling and yes heat source defo good enough.

Mate was is a cube and/or cube hopped please?

also the addition of Calcium Sulfate is only if youre using filtered/distilled water? and google says 1g - 4L? 

one last question, i'm reading online, but not entirely comprehending, what i'd call a yeast to wort volume ratio...i've goggled wyeast1056 and it says 0.19lbs, roughly 86 grams? thats sounds like bloody heaps!!! and doesnt sound right in my newly head!

Thanks again mate, beyond appreciated!

8 hours ago, Hell Man Hixy said:

This was cubed and it’s the steep at 10mins was cube hopped at 82c

also the addition of Calcium Sulfate is only if youre using filtered/distilled water? and google says 1g - 4L? 

I use this for my water. Yours may be different. Everyone’s is. I use to dry out a little and make the hops pop. 

one last question, i'm reading online, but not entirely comprehending, what i'd call a yeast to wort volume ratio...i've goggled wyeast1056 and it says 0.19lbs, roughly 86 grams? thats sounds like bloody heaps!!! and doesnt sound right in my newly head!

Dont worry too much about using liquid yeasts then, just use same dry yeast, US05.

When you understand yeast a little more move to liquids. 

But one pack might not be enough for this batch, a starter may be required. Or two packs but honestly for now just use US05. 

There’s a whole thread on harvesting yeast from starters which helps reuse over and over getting 10 plus batches out of a single snack pack. 

Cheers 

Captain

On 10/14/2019 at 11:04 PM, Hell Man Hixy said:

A cube is a plastic "jerrycan" with a sealing screw on lid, large enough to hold a batch of wort. Cubing is used by people who do not want to chill the wort for various reasons (don't ask, you'll start a shit storm 🙂). The cube gets filled to the brim with hot wort and then stored to cool till the next day or stored for later use. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

A cube is a plastic "jerrycan" with a sealing screw on lid, large enough to hold a batch of wort. Cubing is used by people who do not want to chill the wort for various reasons (don't ask, you'll start a shit storm 🙂). The cube gets filled to the brim with hot wort and then stored to cool till the next day or stored for later use. 

aaahhhhhh alles klar... danke dir 

bwahahahh i really really want to ask!!!