Coopers Community

Coopers Wheat Beer

On 10/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, Red devil 44 said:

Hi guys,

I have brewed the Coopers Hefeweizen about 5 or 6 times now, all I use is the Hefe Wheat, Malt Extract ( the recipe says to add only 1kg but I always add the whole 1.5 kg ) and throw the can yeast away & use the Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast, within around 12 hrs my airlock is bubbling away, I ferment in my fridge at around 20 degrees Celsius.

I keg and have had great results with this & a great tasting refreshing beer.

Happy brewing guys.

6A57BDC0-7061-4DE9-815B-2CCDDE0A965F.jpeg

EAEE55D1-9133-43D5-B2A9-ADA926A633A6.jpeg

B6277F8B-1EA3-40CC-ADD8-F743F1770E22.png

Red devil, can I just ask why you use the Mangrove Jack over the recommended WB-06? I've read elsewhere that the WB-06 doesn't create strong enough banana/clove flavours. I'm looking to make this recipe as my next batch and am chasing strong flavours.

Hi Cassius, I was recommended that by my LHBS, it doesn’t give off banana type flavours but certainly strong in the Wheat flavour, but not overpowering like a Blue Moon etc. I’m happy with the yeast and have recently kegged a double batch in my 60L fermenter, one to drink now & one for Christmas to go with my Stone & Wood Clone which is aging for Christmas 😃😃

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 7:46 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Hi Cassius, I was recommended that by my LHBS, it doesn’t give off banana type flavours but certainly strong in the Wheat flavour, but not overpowering like a Blue Moon etc. I’m happy with the yeast and have recently kegged a double batch in my 60L fermenter, one to drink now & one for Christmas to go with my Stone & Wood Clone which is aging for Christmas 😃😃

Thanks for that Red Devil. I put the brew down on Sunday following your advice, though I pitched at 26 degrees and am going to keep primary at 24 degrees in hopes of getting more banana flavours. Within 12 hours it had a massive krausen that was threatening to hit the top of my Coopers 23L FV w/ krausen collar, haha.

One other question I had regarding hefeweizen in general: the two previous brews I've done I've left in the FV for an extra week after primary fermentation has finished to allow settlement. Since hefeweizen is supposed to be cloudy, do you bottle as soon as primary is finished, or is the extra time to allow other nasties to settle out, even for a hefeweizen? I'm hoping to put down a Pacific Ale in time for Christmas so wouldn't mind bottling this hefe as early as possible (I noticed you said you were doing a Stone and Wood clone, which is exactly what I'm after. I was going to do the Coopers Pacific Summer Ale recipe https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pacific-summer-ale.html but am open to suggestions from someone with a bit more experience).

Sorry, that ended up a bit longer than intended.

1 hour ago, Cassius said:

One other question I had regarding hefeweizen in general: the two previous brews I've done I've left in the FV for an extra week after primary fermentation has finished to allow settlement. Since hefeweizen is supposed to be cloudy, do you bottle as soon as primary is finished, or is the extra time to allow other nasties to settle out, even for a hefeweizen? I'm hoping to put down a Pacific Ale in time for Christmas so wouldn't mind bottling this hefe as early as possible (I noticed you said you were doing a Stone and Wood clone, which is exactly what I'm after. I was going to do the Coopers Pacific Summer Ale recipe https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pacific-summer-ale.html but am open to suggestions from someone with a bit more experience).

There is nothing stopping you from bottling as soon as fermentation is finished. Letting is sit there just cleans things up a little, gives the yeast a chance to drop out of suspension. If you bottle sooner, I guess you'll just get more sediment in the bottle.

I have the Pacific Summer Ale on my to do list as well as the Lightning Strike Summer Ale. Both sound promising, so I'll make both.

• Like 1

Hi Cassius,

To answer your Hefe question I leave in primary for a couple of days after fermentation, mainly because I dont have the time during the week. It’s in the FV for around 10-12 days, then straight in my keg ( I don’t bottle ), then leave to sit in my waiting room in a cool place along with my other kegs ( 12 in all 😜😜) until I have room in my keezer. 

With regard to the Stone & Wood I use this below in the pic from Kegland, and I’ve had a stubby of S & W and a schooner of my S& W, a few mates for a taste test & it is pretty damn close in telling you, mates all agree, next ingredients just arrived today on my doorstep so I shall be brewing another this weekend, can never have enough S & W.🤣🤣

I ferment my S& W in my fridge  at 17 degrees for around 10 days, then keg. 

Hope this helps, happy to assist.

4BF44083-E9C7-4130-9BC8-6A21C363F560.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anthony 999,

With regard to my S & W hopping process I use this method.

Bring 2L Water To gentle boil, remove from heat & add 50g of Galaxy in a hop sock for 20 mins.

After 20 mins squeeze out remaining juices in sock into pan.

Add contents of pan to FV, then add your ingredients ie- cans of Wheat & Malt.

I cool 10L of Water in a plastic jerry can a few days in advance so it is at around 4-5 degrees come brewing day.

Temperature is a key element here, add water to just over 20L, aim for a pitching temp of 20 degrees.

I throw the can yeast away and pitch US-05 yeast, most HB shops have this.

Ferment for around 6-7 days in my fermenting fridge at 17 degrees, I have a 0.5 degree differential on my Inkbird so it never strays too far in temp.

After 7 days or when fermentation is complete, I add another 50g of Galaxy in my Hop Bomb into the FV, see Hop Bomb pic below.

Leave in FV for another 4-5 days then bottle or keg. I keg ( purge any O2 out by bleeding the PRV and then leave to sit in a keg with a CO2 blanket on top, 

I sometimes leave it sit for a month in the keg, ( depends on how keen I am to have a crack at it 🤣🤣) then cool, carbonate and serve.

I don’t bother CC as S & W is a naturally hazy beer anyway.

Hope this helps, cheers and happy brewing.

F5CACF8D-7D19-4543-B608-618D7B7339C4.jpeg

On 11/16/2019 at 6:22 AM, Red devil 44 said:

With regard to my S & W hopping process I use this method.

Nice! I will give it a go!

I've used previously that Hop Infuser but I found the largest one, 8.5 cm in diameter was still too small so I've got on transit the larger one of the below infuser.

s-l1600.jpg

I have a Saison on the go now which is close to finalising and then i have a White IPA which I've done before.  A great brew that one.  

• Like 1

Hi Anthony,

I have a large infuser also but haven’t used it yet, I find my S & W has enough hoppiness in it, I’m not a big hot head. 

Just finished a White IPA, the recipe Hopiphany White IPA from the recipe page, was fantastic, highly recommend.

my S & W is a regular now on my list, got one gassing up for the weekend pool party, and another in my fermenting fridge which I shall keg on Friday 😜 

cheers and happy brewing 😃🍺

15 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hi Anthony,

I have a large infuser also but haven’t used it yet, I find my S & W has enough hoppiness in it, I’m not a big hot head. 

Just finished a White IPA, the recipe Hopiphany White IPA from the recipe page, was fantastic, highly recommend.

my S & W is a regular now on my list, got one gassing up for the weekend pool party, and another in my fermenting fridge which I shall keg on Friday 😜 

cheers and happy brewing 😃🍺

Nice! I did the Downhill White IPA and it was great. Took to work for taste testing and people were impressed. 

Have to look at kegging. Still bottle. Need to talk with the minster of finance on that one. Still only on my 6-7th brew. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anthony999 said:

Nice! I did the Downhill White IPA and it was great. Took to work for taste testing and people were impressed. 

Have to look at kegging. Still bottle. Need to talk with the minster of finance on that one. Still only on my 6-7th brew. 

Sometimes after I keg I get a few tallies, have took some to work, or passed around the family, all suitably impressed.

I was fortunate enough to go straight to kegging, once you get there it will be much easier & quicker as most keggers on this forum would agree. 

But it all takes time, keep at your brews, it’s very rewarding.

I have about 4-5 signature brews I do regular, plus I’m still trying different recipes out all the time. I’m only a K & K man, don’t have the time for all grain but I’ve had some great results from this. 

I built my own keezer which has 4 taps, can hold 5 kegs though, 4 x 19L plus a crafty 9.5L. 

I will post a pic when I pour my first S & W tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers & good brewing 🍻🍻

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Anthony999 said:

@Red devil 44 Wow.  That's alot of taps!  Don't know how you can multitask all the time!  Kegging sounds like the go.  Have to research and plan......:) 

Depends if you want to buy a Kegerator or make your own converting a freezer ? I have a Kegerator, but rarely use it as I prefer my keezer, and it’s on wheels so I can have it in the pool area, just swim right up to it & pour a schooner, up here ☝️ for thinking down there 👇 for dancing 

Cheers 😜😜🍺🍺

• Haha 1