Coopers Community

Coopers Wheat Beer

Hi Everyone

I am not even done with my first beer, and I am already thinking of the next one to try.  I am a big fan of wheat beer but I thought that may be too difficult for the first brew.

Has anyone tried the Coopers Wheat beer brew kit before?  And if so, do you possibly have a nice recipe for me so that I can give it a try next time?

I saw these 2 different kits below, is there a difference between them?  Or is this simply different packaging?  If not, then does someone have an opinion on which one is better?

image.png.6aaee87bedbc49aca4c39147d214e6ac.png

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

-Gerhard

1 hour ago, Gerhard vdW said:

I saw these 2 different kits below, is there a difference between them?  Or is this simply different packaging?

Hi @Gerhard vdW

I have not seen the black can before in Australia (but I have only been brewing for a couple of years).  I have used the Hefe Wheat in the Zesty Blonde recipe.  I really liked that beer.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hell Man Hixy said:

hey bud....I pinched a recipe straight off the diy website.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/hefeweizen.html

the only thing I did different was dry hopped 20g ekuanot hops before i sealed her up.

results are amazing, a super tasty beer ticking all the right boxes, and to be honest easy AF!!

enjoy! 

HI

Thats not bad at all.  Stupid question, I see they mention the you supply the yeast packet.  So don't you use the yeast pack that comes with the brew kit?

EDIT: I read the recipe and answered the question myself 😄

Edited by Gerhard vdW

38 minutes ago, Hell Man Hixy said:

it’s one of the more expensive extract beers you’ll brew, but you’ll defo taste the difference! Mine has been in the bottle 59 days now and it is straight up delicious!

Thats great to hear, i can not wait to start this one.  The shop I buy from is out of the Hefe Wheat beer kit, so I will have to wait until they stock up again.

I will let you know how it comes out.

Is that hops you suggested specifically for Wheat beers, or was that just your flavor preference?

Hi guys,

I have brewed the Coopers Hefeweizen about 5 or 6 times now, all I use is the Hefe Wheat, Malt Extract ( the recipe says to add only 1kg but I always add the whole 1.5 kg ) and throw the can yeast away & use the Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast, within around 12 hrs my airlock is bubbling away, I ferment in my fridge at around 20 degrees Celsius.

I keg and have had great results with this & a great tasting refreshing beer.

Happy brewing guys.

6A57BDC0-7061-4DE9-815B-2CCDDE0A965F.jpeg

EAEE55D1-9133-43D5-B2A9-ADA926A633A6.jpeg

B6277F8B-1EA3-40CC-ADD8-F743F1770E22.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

nd throw the can yeast away & use the Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast, within around 12 hrs my airlock is bubbling away, 

Hi, thank you for the tip, I definitely will try that yeast. Do you find that one pack of yeast is enough? On the recipe it says to use both? blockquote widget

1 pack of yeast is enough for fermentation. Reading the recipe, the Wheat yeast addition is there to supply the esters - phenolic (spicey, medicinal) and banana type flavours that many wheat beers have as a characteristic. For some, these are "off" flavours. So Coopers suggest leaving that yeast out if you want to minimise those.

Edited by Lab Rat

16 hours ago, Cosmo2450 said:

Sunkissed wiesse has actually been the best brew I’ve made to date. I added the skin of two oranges with 10 minutes left in the boil. I’d probably double that next time but it is a cracker of a beer that’s fairly easy to make. 

4ADD302C-43FB-4BA7-84D7-6EF035D916EB.jpeg

Beer looks great, will definitely give this one a try next Cosmo, I see the recipe is on the Coopers Site.

5 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

That is definitely an off flavour.

A brewing definition I read included it as a desirable one in some beers. Not any of mine. Not even a wheat.

Some people love sours, to me, it's off beer and the kind of thing Heston Bluemthal would have come up with. Only he'd find a way to get bacon in there.

On 10/11/2019 at 3:13 AM, Red devil 44 said:

Hi guys,

I have brewed the Coopers Hefeweizen about 5 or 6 times now, all I use is the Hefe Wheat, Malt Extract ( the recipe says to add only 1kg but I always add the whole 1.5 kg ) and throw the can yeast away & use the Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast, within around 12 hrs my airlock is bubbling away, I ferment in my fridge at around 20 degrees Celsius.

I keg and have had great results with this & a great tasting refreshing beer.

Happy brewing guys.

The store that supply this Yeast suggest that I use 2 packs of the OGis higher than 1050, would any of you recommend that? 

2 hours ago, Gerhard vdW said:

I have also read a lot of good things about Wyeast 3068, which is a slap pack.  Has anyone had experience with that before?  And do these slap packs work on the brew kits?

Wyeast 3068 is a great Hefeweizen yeast. Probably my favourite.

Yeast don’t discriminate between AG and kit brews. 

7 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Wyeast 3068 is a great Hefeweizen yeast. Probably my favourite.

Yeast don’t discriminate between AG and kit brews. 

That's great to hear. Do you also use the slap pack? 

On a side note, do you have a preference regarding adding hops to the hefe wheat beer kit? I would like to do a dry hop, but not quite sure if I want to take the risk this early in my "brew life". 😅

Just now, Gerhard vdW said:

That's great to hear. Do you also use the slap pack? 

On a side note, do you have a preference regarding adding hops to the hefe wheat beer kit? I would like to do a dry hop, but not quite sure if I want to take the risk this early in my "brew life". 😅

Yep, the Wyeast is the snack pack. Easy to use.

I don’t dry hop Hefeweizens. Perhaps a small late hop addition in the boil but that’s it. It’s all in the yeast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Yep, the Wyeast is the snack pack. Easy to use.

I don’t dry hop Hefeweizens. Perhaps a small late hop addition in the boil but that’s it. It’s all in the yeast.

Thanks for the advice. I think I would rather start adding hops when I do the IPA beer kit then.