Coopers Community

Now I know what those lid-clips are for

King Ruddager

Wheat,  Saison and stouts  tend to try to climb out of the FV.... Or a massive over pitch.

Which one you doing? 

Just changed out the blow off tube for a freshy after it made a mess of itself and blocked up,  sprayed filth all over fridge .

Swapped it,  closed door and said good night 

12 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

... but pitched straight onto a cake of M44

On the few more recent occasions I've done that  I've actually scooped out a couple of cup fulls of the cake first... minimises the likely overpitch that's occurring and reduces the chances of the krausen escaping! 

2 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Whenever I try and look up information on the drawbacks over over-pitching I turn up nothing, yet everyone still says to beware. What's the dilley-o?

Mostly theoretical I suspect!  I know Brulosophy compared an underpitch (50%) with and over-pitch (250%) and their tasters couldn't pick the difference.   I just tend to err on the side of caution I guess.  And if for no other reason, pitching onto less cake will tend to avoid the "krausen kreep" !  🤓

It depends what yeast your using as well. If your always using US05 or some other west coast yeast like M44 then i think it makes a slight difference only. I did a US05 full slurry pitch and could notice a difference albeit slight. Did it with S04 and it was a big difference. If i did that on a belgian yeast its the difference between night and day.

As for brulosophy. I think his taste testers have had half a dozen before they get there. He should change his name to statistically insignificant.

• Like 1