Coopers Community

Reactivating Coopers yeast but....

Malter White

On 10/25/2019 at 11:02 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

My Coopers Vintage 2019 got from 1.066 to 1.010 over 12 days.  A mix of CCA yeast from six bottles plus the English Bitter yeast from the can (following the recipe).  I wish I had used the yeast from 2-3 more bottles of Coopers Pale Ale and just used that.

Nevertheless I will be harvesting and using in a future brew.  Probably the XPA or the Session Ale.

Actually, I thought of that a few times. Whatever will be left in the FV isn't really CCA as it has the kit yeast in it as well. But I'll use it in next Saturday's Irish Red Ale k&b.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 12:54 PM, BlackSands said:

And in fact you don't have to get overly complicated with the 'art' of harvesting.  Many brewers simply scoop out a jar of slurry and reuse that. Works a treat.  I reuse slurry 3 - 5 times before starting from a fresh packet so saves me maybe $200 - $250 a year.    

I've saved the slurry of my 2019 Vintage ale on Saturday and reused it yesterday in a fresh batch of Irish Red I'm trying with the CCA, rather than S04. It seems to be working fine as this morning I had about 2cm krausen in the FV. However I am wondering if I went overboard with things. I had dissolved 20g dextrose in 200ml pre-boiled water and added it to the jar with the slurry, shook it about for a while, then gave it a shake a few times throughout the day before pitching. Good idea or overkill?

• 5 weeks later...

Just following up on this old thread.
I tried harvesting CCA yeast. Pitched it in an APA K&K. It started but then stalled so I threw in the kit yeast to get it going again, which it did.
Tasted the first beer from this brew tonight. It was poor. Tasted like beer with a dash of dish washing liquid. I don't know if many of you have tried KFC wicked wings. I love them but they have this chemical after taste to them. That's how this beer tastes. It's quite cloudy in appearance too.
I'll still drink it but with a tinge of disappointment. It's a bit like watching Essendon play footy over the last 10 years.
Cheers.

Edited by MUZZY

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Just following up on this old thread.
I tried harvesting CCA yeast. Pitched it in an APA K&K. It started but then stalled so I threw in the kit yeast to get it going again, which it did.
Tasted the first beer from this brew tonight. It was poor. Tasted like beer with a dash of dish washing liquid. I don't know if many of you have tried KFC wicked wings. I love them but they have this chemical after taste to them. That's how this beer tastes. It's quite cloudy in appearance too.
I'll still drink it but with a tinge of disappointment. It's a bit like watching Essendon play footy over the last 10 years.
Cheers.

Sorry to hear that mate. It may mature a bit more in the bottle. So it might come good. Just as the bombers might come good next year. 🙂

• Haha 1