Coopers Community

Reactivating Coopers yeast but....

Malter White

Just now, Journeyman said:

Big part of the reason I'm getting into home brew. 😄

It's a major reason for most, Journeyman, but if you stick at it you'll find you'll start making pretty good beer that you genuinely enjoy. Making a better beer will become your motivation and the lower cost will just be a bonus on top.
I'm 2 years into my home brew experience and just do Coopers kits & kilos with some hop additions. I'm not going to claim I make great beer but I'm making beer I'm becoming 'accustomed' to and I genuinely enjoy most of them. I emphasised 'accustomed' because I think that's what most drinkers do. Some WA drinkers will say Swan Lager is a great beer and a lot of people would disagree. The same goes for VB and West End in their localities. People become accustomed to what they drink and swear by that beer, even though others would strongly disagree.
You'll find a lot of people on here will regard a lot of commercial beers as crap a.k.a. megaswill. It's because they're accustomed to making and drinking their own beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I used to be a barman - a CUB course tells of a guy who bought a pub in Wheeler's Hill and came to CUB for instruction. They set him up and he promptly lost his regular customers. They spent some time investigating and eventually the accounting books told the story. Previous owner was putting a keg of water per every 5 kegs of Carlton.

The drinkers didn't like the full strength beer. 😄 

CUB paid for some local advertising to get the drinkers back for him...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I used to be a barman - a CUB course tells of a guy who bought a pub in Wheeler's Hill and came to CUB for instruction. They set him up and he promptly lost his regular customers. They spent some time investigating and eventually the accounting books told the story. Previous owner was putting a keg of water per every 5 kegs of Carlton.

The drinkers didn't like the full strength beer. 😄 

CUB paid for some local advertising to get the drinkers back for him...

And so Carlton Midstrength was born. LOL

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Where do you get PA at those prices? 

Yes, New Zealand  😁

Beer prices in Aussie are criminal I have to say...  and I got back into homebrewing because I thought it was expensive here! 

Mind you we get shafted over the bar here with a beer costing at least $12 or more.  In total contrast to the UK where I visited recently, ordering pints there for as little as £2.50 (around $5).

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Yes, New Zealand  😁

Beer prices in Aussie are criminal I have to say...  and I got back into homebrewing because I thought it was expensive here! 

I was lucky enough to visit your beautiful country back in 2011, BS. Couldn't believe it when I could buy beer at the supermarket and how cheap it was. From memory I got a box of Corona, I think it was a dozen for about $20NZ. At the time the AUD$ was buying around $1.25NZ and back home we were paying close to $AUD50 for 24 Coronas.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Go to NZ regularly. Cheaper beer but jeez dont drive to the bottle shop. Last time i was there it was $2.30 a litre!!!

Yeah, it was around $2 NZ a litre in 2011 which equated to about $1.60 AUD back then. Aussies were paying about $1.30 AUD at that time. The higher petrol cost is offset by the smaller distances to travel in NZ and the remarkable scenery. Such a gorgeous place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah, it was around $2 NZ a litre in 2011 which equated to about $1.60 AUD back then. Aussies were paying about $1.30 AUD at that time. The higher petrol cost is offset by the smaller distances to travel in NZ and the remarkable scenery. Such a gorgeous place.

Yeah NZ is pretty. Travel a lot to wellington which for me is the pick of the north island cities. Has a lot of craft beer joints too particularly around the Petone, Lower Hutt and Upper Hutt area. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

My Aldi in Melbourne sells PA 12 packs for $24.99 week in week out.

In Adelaide our licensing laws don't allow alcohol sales through grocery stores. Some of our eastern seaboard friends make fun of some of our archaic rules but they are aimed at preventing Coles and Woolies from dominating the retail landscape. We enjoy the highest percentage of independent retailers in the nation. We also enjoy the cheapest retail prices. That's no coincidence.
However, the current Liberal gov't have already started eroding some of those protective rules. It probably won't be long before we're just as ripped off as the rest of the world. 😄

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Go to NZ regularly. Cheaper beer but jeez dont drive to the bottle shop. Last time i was there it was $2.30 a litre!!!

Yup...  we get shafted for most essentials here.  Aside from petrol prices, we get screwed for gas and electricity, broadband, general produce, rents and well, pretty much everything you need for day-to-day living... except packaged beer!  We do have lower income tax rates mind you...

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Mind you we get shafted over the bar here with a beer costing at least $12 or more. 

In South Australia they have weird measures - Pints cost the same as Eastern states but they are the size of a schooner. i.e. In the rest of the world a pint is 20 oz - here they are 15 oz. I use fluid ounces because when we went metric they ripped us off - all the beer sizes dropped in size,  10 oz became 285 ml instead of 300 etc. IIRC pints even in the east are 575 ml. 😞

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

In South Australia they have weird measures - Pints cost the same as Eastern states but they are the size of a schooner. i.e. In the rest of the world a pint is 20 oz - here they are 15 oz. I use fluid ounces because when we went metric they ripped us off - all the beer sizes dropped in size,  10 oz became 285 ml instead of 300 etc. IIRC pints even in the east are 575 ml. 😞

You'll enjoy this:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Our pints are rounded to the nearest 10, a proper pint is 568 mL and the glasses have 570mL on the bottom. 

10 Oz being 285mL is actually the right volume, half a pint is 284. 

WIBF! For 5 decades or more I have thought 1 fl ox = 30 ml. i.e. a shot. 😄

Guess I have to apologise to Pig Iron Bob for thinking him a scum bag all these years. 😄

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

In Adelaide our licensing laws don't allow alcohol sales through grocery stores. Some of our eastern seaboard friends make fun of some of our archaic rules but they are aimed at preventing Coles and Woolies from dominating the retail landscape. We enjoy the highest percentage of independent retailers in the nation. We also enjoy the cheapest retail prices. That's no coincidence.
However, the current Liberal gov't have already started eroding some of those protective rules. It probably won't be long before we're just as ripped off as the rest of the world. 😄

Hey, Qld is no better. We have some really warped rules in this state of ours. For example, one of the breweries I visit to get some beer is allowed to sell me the beer in the attached pub and they can sell me takeaways. But because the brewery, but not the pub has a permit to sell to take home, they can only physically hand over the beer outside the pub. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

Hey, Qld is no better. We have some really warped rules in this state of ours. For example, one of the breweries I visit to get some beer is allowed to sell me the beer in the attached pub and they can sell me takeaways. But because the brewery, but not the pub has a permit to sell to take home, they can only physically hand over the beer outside the pub. 

A bit like the supermarkets can't sell grog, so they open a bottle shop next door.

• Like 1

I have reactivated Coopers yeast for the first time and now I'll see how it goes. I put down the Vintage Ale 19 yesterday and added the harvested yeast from the plastic bottle and the kit yeast as the recipe suggested. So far, not much is happening but it's been less than 24 hours. Put down another beer, a simple k&k with MJ Liberty Bell yeast and that one is already happily bubbling away, with a nice krausen on top. Let's hope the other is just slow. Vintage is in the fridge @18C, the other is brewing at ambient temps, sitting at around 20C as of this morning.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

A bit like the supermarkets can't sell grog, so they open a bottle shop next door.

Yeah, I noticed that when I was last in Qlnd.   Here in NZ supermarkets, the large chains and otherwise all sell beer, wine and cider, though not hard liquor.    Surprisingly it doesn't seem to have put the smaller liquor stores under any obvious competitor stress as they seem to be everywhere -  in fact there's close to 1000 throughout the city with some areas having a density ratio of 1 store / 500 people.   

• Like 1