Coopers Community

Brewing again after a bit of a hiatus

Loch Brewer

They all are a variant of the Kilowog Krush, except the coppery coloured one uses Munich lme as a base versus a cerveza kit, but that is really the only difference. Ok, well I will probably go with a partial mash with munich and chocolate malt to get the color and since it might take a week to get the Munich lme I will just use the cerveza kit. It isn't a full extract but it should be tasty.

19 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Well ya banged on about it for so long then failed to deliver ha ha ha ha 

I did too! It was an awesome brew with a great name. I took a page from your book and just kept on trying to make it better. I have done the Krush about 9 times so far and the last interation, my wife declared it the best beer I ever made....so now to do it again, it is the house pale. I didn't want to name it Kilowog Krush IX so I did give it a different name but it is basically the same beer.

Screenshot_20191011-154717.jpg

Screenshot_20191011-154730.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 4

Never thought me saying hello i'm back would lead to such a big thread !! 

Blacksands - You mentioned Belgian Candi Sugar; do you, or does anyone know where i can get it in Australia? I've got a couple of recipes on the bucket list with it as an ingredient. 

9 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

may be hard to get in Australia as it is not made from cane sugar but rather from sugar beet which is the common sugar in Europe ...  maybe search for a substitute ...

So i'm finding, but if i want to be true to the style i'll need the real thing. Might have to find a HBS in Europe. Being just a sugar, and not raw as it's caramelised should be ok by quarantine .

Another ingredient i need is "a litre of white muscat grape juice concentrate" ......... (For the dogfish head Midas Touch clone) . Having trouble finding it too!

9 minutes ago, Loch Brewer said:

Another ingredient i need is "a litre of white muscat grape juice concentrate"

Muscat grapes are white table grapes so maybe you can crush your own ... most good Greek fruit and veg shops will stock them toward the end of summer as that is when the grape harvest is or even better head to the local commercial fruit and veg markets when they are in season ...  just remember that grape vines are dormant during winter and fruit is harvest in late summer ... 

3 minutes ago, Loch Brewer said:

Next problem is just how concentrate the "grape juice concentrate" is

Think you will find that the juice from freshly crushed grapes will be enough. It is very think and viscous and has a very high sugar level that is why they can make wine with 14% ABV without adding a sugar adjunct ... I am a bit of a wine nerd and have tasted freshly crushed wine grapes many time and the juice is nearly sickly sweet particularly Shiraz grapes which are relatively small and highly concentrated with sugar ...  

I wouldn't pay for candi-sugar personally.  It's simply sucrose that has been inverted (broken down into gluscose and fructose) and then caremelised to varying degrees..  If you use table sugar and put it in your low-pH boiling wort it will invert anyway.  Boiling the sugar for a long time should caramelise it to some extent, but if you really want a stronger caramel presence then you could mix with molasses which has already been caramelised, or perhaps easier still, just use turbinado sugar.   I reckon you're gonna end up with pretty much the same thing.    

I once read a blog or forum post somewhere somewhen that claimed Belgian breweries don't actually bother with candi-sugar anymore and it was more a thing with American brewers brewing Belgian styles these days. 

I've experienced the 'twang'.  How to describe it? Well, it's not so much on the palate, more so on the 'finish'.  My descriptor would be a sharp, lingering 'tartiness'.

In fact, I may have 19L of it sitting in a FV right now.  I checked the gravity yesterday and had a sip. Oh dear, what an insult to the tastebuds. Checked again a few minutes ago. The gravity had dropped a couple of points and the 'tartiness' had diminished noticeably. I'll give it another week in the FV before I attempt to bottle. It may well yet redeem itself (fingers crossed).

This is the first time in 6 brews I've used the Coopers kit yeast ( 2 x 7 gram sachets, stored in fridge).  Previously, all I've used is US05 without any 'twang' issues. Hmmm........

I wouldn't put much value on what it tastes like when it hasn't even finished fermenting yet. I've never tasted a fermenters sample that was as good as the finished beer. A few weeks conditioning in bottles and it'll probably be fine. 

I've also had tartness in AG beers when I've added too much sulphate to the brewing water, which was accentuated by the use of 1272 yeast. I've since gone back to 1056 for those beers and reduced the sulphate addition, they're a lot better now. 

• Like 1

I've learnt a lesson very slowly. Never judge a beer by what it taste like on sampling. With some, don't even bother making a judgement till they're 2 months in the bottle.

The last Pilsner I brewed had the rancid rotten egg fart in a spacesuit smell to it, right up to bottling. It was fine when ready for drinking.

I use Coopers yeasts a lot as well. But didn't with the Pilsner. Hmmm....

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 2

I have found a very strange phenomena with home brew both bottled and kegged .... no matter how crap it tasted at the start it is always at its best when you get to the last 2 litres or so of a brew ...  it is a bit of a bugger really ...  

• Like 4