Coopers Community

Krausen Kollar

kmar92

After reading many post here and with summer on the way I have decided that temperature control of the FV is a priority, so I now have a dedicated refrigerator for the FV. The fridge will take a Coopers FV easily but with the Krausen Kollar attached to it I have to remove the top shelf of the fridge, I would like to keep that top shelf in the fridge.

So I guess that my question is - is the Krausen Kollar necessary with a Cooper's FV? So far in my renewed brewing career I have never removed the Krausen Kollar during the fermentation.

My two Cooper's fv's don't have the collars. If your doing a brew known to go a tad nuts with the reaction then it might be advisable. Done if the usual culprits are thing like stouts etc. 

I'm not sure but I'm fault certain that all the Cooper fv's are 30litres. Some came with the collars. Many didn't.  

in theory have 7 litres of room for the foam. Mine had never gone that high. Or even close. 

Now if your cooking nice and hot with kviek year. Then that might be another story....

25 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

After reading many post here and with summer on the way I have decided that temperature control of the FV is a priority, so I now have a dedicated refrigerator for the FV. The fridge will take a Coopers FV easily but with the Krausen Kollar attached to it I have to remove the top shelf of the fridge, I would like to keep that top shelf in the fridge.

So I guess that my question is - is the Krausen Kollar necessary with a Cooper's FV? So far in my renewed brewing career I have never removed the Krausen Kollar during the fermentation.

Definitely not.

I have never used mine, as my Krausens have never got high enough to need it. However, hold onto it as if you do some big dark beers or use a very active yeast you might wanna chuck it in for the extra headspace :).

Mitch.

Thanks for the replies. I have a Little Creatures Pale Ale clone in the FV, minus Krausen Kollar, in the fridge and it is looking great! It has been maintaining 18.3° and 3 days in it has the best looking Krausen on it that I have seen.

• Like 3