Coopers Community

Experimental “Rookie”

Tanefc

Evening Hopsters,

I’m suffering through the pack Lager brew at the moment (nobody has died but nobody is rushing around to visit & drink) BUT now i am ready to get into the style of beer i do enjoy. The fruity, tropical Pale Ale...

I’ve got a Coopers Pale i am keen to get started but am wondering if it is advisable to “add” something for flavour. I’m not great on the SG’s, PG’s, PQ’s & all the important phrases but i’m Sure i read on one of the posts here that it was an option to add orange peel (rather than the actual fruit/flesh) to enhance/add to the fruity flavour....?

Am i getting ahead of myself??????

AA

The “alcoholic athlete” 

G'day @Tanefc,

There's loads on the recipe section of the website https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipes/

Here's a link to a good one https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/fruit-salad-ale.html - The Fruit Salad Ale. It doesn't add orange peel but is one of the better recipes I have brewed.

Although, a simple dry hop, hop tea or hop steep could be all you need. 

3 hours ago, Tanefc said:

I’ve got a Coopers Pale i am keen to get started but am wondering if it is advisable to “add” something for flavour. I’m not great on the SG’s, PG’s, PQ’s & all the important phrases but i’m Sure i read on one of the posts here that it was an option to add orange peel (rather than the actual fruit/flesh) to enhance/add to the fruity flavour....?

Hey @Tanefc, Welcome to the Forum

I have attached a copy of my Coopers Beer Recipes from the website with all of the Australian Pale Ale (APA) recipes shown.  There is a lot to choose from because the APA can is such a good base to work with.

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.2 - Aust Pale Ale recipes.xlsx

To keep it simple you could do a lot worse than doing the APA can with 1kg of Light Dry Malt; getting a hold of 25g of Cascade or Galaxy hops; once the ferment is finished wrap the hops in a Chux cleaning cloth pulled straight from the packet and tie it up so the hops can expand a bit, but not float out.  Drop this "teabag" in the fermenter, then, after three days, bottle as usual

There are a couple of recipes on the Coopers website that use citrus peel or zest.  In the file below search for "peel" or "zest"; have a look at the recipes and see what you think.

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.2.xlsx

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1